The last 3 division winners finished in last place the year prior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last 3 division winners finished in last place the year prior

2014 Redskins finished in last place. They won the NFC East in 2015.

2015 Cowboys finished in last place. They won the NFC East in 2016.

2016 Eagles finished in last place. They won the NFC East in 2017.

2017 Giants finished in last place........

The Eagles are stacked, the Giants are, until proven otherwise, still a damn mess. I sincerely doubt that "worst to first" is going to happen. Not even close
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

We shall see.
      Talent level, ie "stacked" is not usually the reason for the decline following a great season.
      Something happens between the ears with self satisfaction and agents encourage guys with minor injuries to sit it out especially in a contract walk year.

I am more concerned about a talented team that came up just short than I am about a team that won it all.

Maybe I am just being hopeful but it seems like there is a big drop off after winning than the other way around.
      ....and of course the big X factor, injuries.
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
        We shall see.
        Talent level, ie "stacked" is not usually the reason for the decline following a great season.
        Something happens between the ears with self satisfaction and agents encourage guys with minor injuries to sit it out especially in a contract walk year.

I am more concerned about a talented team that came up just short than I am about a team that won it all.

Maybe I am just being hopeful but it seems like there is a big drop off after winning than the other way around.
        ....and of course the big X factor, injuries.
        Not to mention, the NFC East has not had consecutive season division winners since 2003-04 (the Eagles, ironically enough). And which team won the NFC East the following year, with a 11-5 record after finishing 6-10 the previous year? Ya just never know...

Comment

You forgot to mention that since 2012 the division winner has changed every single year while skipping the giants over. Just saying.

Comment

The Eagles are not some invincible, stacked team. They have a QB coming off an acl, superbowl hangover, and we should've swept them last season.

Comment

Forget about all these past stats. If Eli can get decent protection, and our offensive weapons stay healthy, we should compete, at least for a wild card.

Comment

Originally posted by Elidagoat713 View Post
                The Eagles are not some invincible, stacked team. They have a QB coming off an acl, superbowl hangover, and we should've swept them last season.
                Not invincible, no, but a damn good team that has very few issues and are a very complete team overall. In case you missed it, they won the SB with their backup QB. If Wentz comes back in good shape, they’re even stronger.

As for a super bowl hangover, and what “should’ve“ happened, please....don’t be ridiculous. What happened last season is completely irrelevant. I despise the Eagles more than any other team, but denying that they’re in a great position is pretty short sighted.
                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post

Its the Giants turn to do it
                  Football has been very, very good to us.
                  After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                  But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                  2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                  3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                  4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE
                  Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
                    The Eagles are stacked, the Giants are, until proven otherwise, still a damn mess. I sincerely doubt that "worst to first" is going to happen. Not even close
                    2015 Cowboys were pretty terrible
                    Football has been very, very good to us.
                    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                    4-New York Giants!!!
                    5-NE
                    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

Not invincible, no, but a damn good team that has very few issues and are a very complete team overall. In case you missed it, they won the SB with their backup QB. If Wentz comes back in good shape, they’re even stronger.

As for a super bowl hangover, and what “should’ve“ happened, please....don’t be ridiculous. What happened last season is completely irrelevant. I despise the Eagles more than any other team, but denying that they’re in a great position is pretty short sighted.
                      So "what happened last season is completely irrelevant," but "the Eagles are stacked," and a damn good team that has very few issues and are a very complete team overall." It cant be both...

I agree, on paper the Gals look good again. But this is the Not For Long league, and I would more agree with your "what happened last season is completely irrelevant" statement.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

So "what happened last season is completely irrelevant," but "the Eagles are stacked," and a damn good team that has very few issues and are a very complete team overall." It cant be both...

I agree, on paper the Gals look good again. But this is the Not For Long league, and I would more agree with your "what happened last season is completely irrelevant" statement.
                        I was speaking more to what their roster looks like as far as talent and depth goes, and not what “should’ve happened”, when I said that what happened last year is irrelevant. They lost very few, if any, of the guys that really made a difference, and I fully expect them to pick up right where they left off.

Comment

Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post

The logic is unassailable. I am ordering the champagne as type....

Comment

There's some hope I guess

Comment

Working...
                            X