Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Royalty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL Royalty

    I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

    What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

    Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

    1. Green Bay
    2. Chicago
    3. New York Giants
    4. Washington
    5. Dallas
    6. San Francisco
    7. Indy
    8. Oakland
    9. Steelers

    Boderline: New England, Miami, NYJ

  • #2
    1.New York Giants
    2. Dallas
    3. New England
    4. Steelers.
    5.San Francisco
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

    Comment


    • #3
      As far as hype goes I don't see the Giants being top 5. Maybe if your just talking great franchises with history then yeah but...the teams that get treated by media, analysts and skeptics as royalty IMO are:

      1. Patriots
      2. Packers
      3. Cowboys
      4. Steelers
      5. 49ers
      "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

      Comment


      • #4
        Totally depends on the criteria...

        If you're going historical significance then you're really limited to GB, Pittsburgh, and the Giants. But again, depending on what the actual criteria is, you could make a case for half the teams in the NFL

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by njg85m View Post
          Totally depends on the criteria...

          If you're going historical significance then you're really limited to GB, Pittsburgh, and the Giants. But again, depending on what the actual criteria is, you could make a case for half the teams in the NFL
          Well that's the thing; the criteria is entirely up to your discretion. But for me 'Royalty' means teams that have been influential in shaping the NFL as well as having a rich history and so on and so forth.

          If you're royalty is limited to 3 teams then that's fine also.

          But you're right you can make a case for a lot of teams.

          Comment


          • #6
            ^^^ I took "royalty" as meaning the most talked about and media darling's of the NFL. If you mean by influential in shaping the NFL, then I'd definitely change my list a bit.
            "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
              Well that's the thing; the criteria is entirely up to your discretion. But for me 'Royalty' means teams that have been influential in shaping the NFL as well as having a rich history and so on and so forth.

              If you're royalty is limited to 3 teams then that's fine also.

              But you're right you can make a case for a lot of teams.
              Well the 3 teams I listed were essentially going by the criteria of shaping what modern day spectator football is...So again, depending on the criteria I could make the case for almost anyone. Like titwio says, if we are going by "media darlings" Then I guess the Jets, Eagles, Cowboys, and Patriots are NFL royalty.

              Most decorated as criteria? Then you have a whole new list.

              Interesting thread.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

                What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

                Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

                1. Green Bay
                2. Chicago
                3. New York Giants
                4. Washington
                5. Dallas
                6. San Francisco
                7. Indy
                8. Oakland
                9. Steelers

                Boderline: New England, Miami, NYJ

                I like your list as is but would replace Indy with Minnesota. More history in Minny and I don't consider Indy a descendant of the Baltimore Colts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I pretty much agree with your list Ntegrase96. I might trim Indy and Oakland if we need to make room on the bus.

                  My criteria would add in extended periods of excellence under different regimes to weed out teams that have only one era of success. Or if you took away the biggest era of glory is there anything else left.
                  Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM.
                  8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

                  "You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by njg85m View Post
                    Totally depends on the criteria...

                    If you're going historical significance then you're really limited to GB, Pittsburgh, and the Giants. But again, depending on what the actual criteria is, you could make a case for half the teams in the NFL
                    Pittsburgh has been playing since 1933 and from 1933-1972 (40 years) they didn't even make the playoffs one single time. All their glory (granted it is a lot) is in the 70s and 2000s.

                    Also the Browns were very historically significant in the Jim Brown era, they won 4 NFL championship and 4 championships in their old league the AAFC, which also gave us the 49ers. They were juggernauts.

                    Also any talk of historical significance has to include the Bears. They haven't done much in the Super Bowl era but before that the top 3 teams were Green Bay, Chicago, and NYG. When you look back at the championship matchups those are the 3 names you will see over and over.
                    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM.
                    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

                    "You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                      I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

                      What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

                      Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

                      1. Green Bay
                      2. Chicago
                      3. New York Giants
                      4. Washington
                      5. Dallas
                      6. San Francisco
                      7. Indy
                      8. Oakland
                      9. Steelers

                      Boderline: New England, Miami, NYJ
                      I agree with your list for the most part. Except for Indy and.....the Jets! On the borderline?.....the Jets?! They are so far off the border that you could barely see them on the map. Football royalty and the Jets go together like fire and ice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
                        I agree with your list for the most part. Except for Indy and.....the Jets! On the borderline?.....the Jets?! They are so far off the border that you could barely see them on the map. Football royalty and the Jets go together like fire and ice.
                        Very true. They have the one moment of glory and the rest is really epic tragedy. We're talking Greek tragedy here with the new and innovative ways they find to shoot themselves in the foot.
                        8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

                        "You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                          I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

                          What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

                          Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

                          1. Green Bay
                          2. Chicago
                          3. New York Giants
                          4. Washington
                          5. Dallas
                          6. San Francisco
                          7. Indy
                          8. Oakland
                          9. Steelers

                          Borderline: New England, Miami, NYJ
                          I'd switch Indy to Baltimore (Colts) though and borderline the Indy Colts, Miami, New England, but the Jets? Hell no.


                          NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X