Is the NFC East over hyped??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the NFC East over hyped??

According to the NFL network it is...but I would argue they beat up each other every year. I expect the same to happen in the NFC west which they are proclaiming to be the best division in football. I still think the NFC east is the toughest division.
    sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Originally posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    According to the NFL network it is...but I would argue they beat up each other every year. I expect the same to happen in the NFC west which they are proclaiming to be the best division in football. I still think the NFC east is the toughest division.
    Toughest in a sense that all of the teams are equally mediocre.
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
      Toughest in a sense that all of the teams are equally mediocre.
      Yeah the 2 sb in the last 5 years from the division real mediocre.What has the NFC west done?? I'll argue that the North is better or South. I'm not sold on the West yet.

Comment

Yeah the 2 sb in the last 5 years from the division real mediocre.What has the NFC west done?? I'll argue that the North is better or South. I'm not sold on the West yet.
        True, we won 2, but we weren't exactly playing like gang busters until we got hot at the end. The other divisions at least have fielded really good teams. The last "dominant" team that was fielded from the NFC East was our 2008 squad. Other then that, it was years full of 9-7 and 10-6's. Heck, the skins won the division last year.
        http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
        http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
        http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
          True, we won 2, but we weren't exactly playing like gang busters until we got hot at the end. The other divisions at least have fielded really good teams. The last "dominant" team that was fielded from the NFC East was our 2008 squad. Other then that, it was years full of 9-7 and 10-6's. Heck, the skins won the division last year.
          The NFC North has just been GB for a long time now. Is there another team in that division that scares you? In the South and the Falcons were good last year but the only team that scares me in that division is the Saints. We've beaten the 49ers twice and they were crap for years before that. Seattle caught everyone by surprise.

You saying the Skins won the division last is kinda of understating what they did. They won 7 games in a row. I hate their fanbase and qb as well but 7 games in a row is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

I don't know if my response is even an answer to this question, but we play in by far the most balanced division in football. Every one of the 4 teams are usually more than capable of 8-10 wins a year. We don't have any teams that routinely go 2-14, or 4-12 every year. Last place in the division seems to be a 6 win team more times than not.

Comment

Originally posted by njg85m View Post
              I don't know if my response is even an answer to this question, but we play in by far the most balanced division in football. Every one of the 4 teams are usually more than capable of 8-10 wins a year. We don't have any teams that routinely go 2-14, or 4-12 every year. Last place in the division seems to be a 6 win team more times than not.
              It's kind of riding the fence answer but I'll take it.

Comment

It's kind of riding the fence answer but I'll take it.
                I know but it's a tough question to answer.

I mean the Giants for example, likely have many of their toughest games in their own division every year while a team like the Patriots are pretty much gifted with 6 free wins every season. It's all relative I guess. A Patriots team w/ 12 wins isn't exactly impressive anymore when you look at who their in house competition is, while a 12 win Giant team is likely very, very, very good.

Comment

In the NFC east a 2-3 game losing streak will end any playoff run while in any other division it will mean a lower seeding, it is the toughest division until the Eagles fell apart it was the only division where all four teams had a chance at a playoff spot and sometimes it took one play in a game to decide who was in and who ws out of the playoffs

Comment

I'll say this: You generally have an idea of who is winning the division in all thr othet conferences BUT the NFC East. That can be looked at as a good or bad thing. They aren't saying wr wre "bad" just overhyped, and I have to agree. If you look at the teams records the last couple of years, they are very pedestrian.
                    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Overhyped? Absolutely. But that's what you get when all 4 teams are from the top 10 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas... Top 7 actually. No other division comes close.

Overrated? I would say no since most don't consider the East to be the best. But I would agree that the NFCW is strongest division as of now.

But as many have already stated, there is not another division nearly as balanced. Has the best mix of competitive balance of Talent, Coaching, and Elements. The teams themselves are some of the most balanced in the NFL and when healthy and 'on', the 4 teams can compete with anyone because of it.

Comment

Historically, it's hard to argue. 12 Super Bowls in the division (a full 1/4 of the total), 20 Super Bowl appearances (almost 1/2 of the total)... Today, here and now, it's arguable. Aside from the Giants winning 2 in the last several years, the Eagles are 10 years removed from an appearance, the Cowboys are coming up on 20 years, and the Redskins on 25 years.

The division is competitive, at least with each other.
                        8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Lets see, last 10 championships by divison:

Year: Winner (Loser)
                          2003: AFC East (NFC South)
                          2004: AFC East (NFC East)
                          2005: AFC North (NFC West)
                          2006: AFC South (NFC North)
                          2007: NFC East (AFC East)
                          2008: AFC North (NFC West)
                          2009: NFC South (AFC South)
                          2010: NFC North (AFC North)
                          2011: NFC East (AFC East)
                          2012: AFC North (NFC West)

NFC East: 2-1
                          NFC North: 1-1
                          NFC South: 1-1
                          NFC West: 0-3

AFC East 2-2
                          AFC North 3-1
                          AFC South 1-1
                          AFC West 0-0

AFC West is by far the worst over the past decade. The NFC West has had 3 different teams in the SB but all lost, and remember the Rams won before that. AFC North is clearly the best divison IMO, sitting at 3-1 in the SB with the Ravens 1-0 and Steelers 2-1. The AFC East is ALL PATRIOTS so that hurts them even with 4 appearences. Id say the NFC East is probably the 3rd or 4th best divison in the NFL. The Eagles had a nice run for a while even though they never won a SB but the Skins and Cowboys really hurt the division.
                          Last edited by TheAnalyst; 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM.
                          Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                            Lets see, last 10 championships by divison:

Year: Winner (Loser)
                            2003: AFC East (NFC South)
                            2004: AFC East (NFC East)
                            2005: AFC North (NFC West)
                            2006: AFC South (NFC North)
                            2007: NFC East (AFC East)
                            2008: AFC North (NFC West)
                            2009: NFC South (AFC South)
                            2010: NFC North (AFC North)
                            2011: NFC East (AFC East)
                            2012: AFC North (NFC West)

NFC East: 2-1
                            NFC North: 1-1
                            NFC South: 1-1
                            NFC West: 0-3

AFC East 2-2
                            AFC North 3-1
                            AFC South 1-1
                            AFC West 0-0
                            Interesting stuff.

The AFCW hasn't held up its end at all.

Comment

The East always has great story lines, year in year out. There have been better years but we usually send two to the playoffs and it's not strange to see us get both wildcard spots I've seen it here and there. Some years it's top heavy with two good teams, some years it's a runaway but most years there's always a battle at the bottom that somehow has playoff implications.

Comment

Working...
                              X