NFC East 2018 and the NFC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFC East 2018 and the NFC

No smack. It's just hot outside and I came in for a glass of cold sweet tea and thought I'd rattle the cage over at the NYG MB. Just talking football. Getting a feel for what other fans feel the draft did for their team(s).

I look for the season in the NFC East to be very competitive this year. Of course the Eagles are front runners with little /nothing needed to be added to their roster and the best coach in our division. Not a shoe-in but definitely favored to repeat. Prediction : 11-5 (Could easily be 14-2 though)

NY looks definitely improved. Just the addition of Barkley made them MUCH better but also are going to have a much better OL. Hernandez is nasty. Eli should have at least 3 more years of standard Eli left in the tank. Not sure what NY will look like on D with the scheme change. I've never been a 3-4 fan. But the DB's should be OK. I know a lot of Giant fans are not high on Apple but I've always found him competitive and does a good job. I think NY challenges for a WC and could be a darkhorse to move Philthy out of the division winners spot. Barkley is the big horse and if NY rides him they will be very dangerous. Don't know enough about Shurmur to get a read on his head coaching abilities but Shula should be an asset with Barkley. Prediction: 9-7 (hard to predict with so much change but I still starkly remember the 2016 Giants so could be 10-6 or better)

Washington is hard for me to read. They seem to have worse records than they should with their personnel year after year. If their coaching is up to par I think the 'skins can do OK although I don't see Alex Smith adding pop to their offense. If they can keep Guice's head on straight they should have a productive run game. I watched Guice some as a college player and he has talent. I think the DL will be very strong. I liked Da'Ron Payne for my Cows in the 1st but he never made it there. They also got Tim Settle in the 5th rd. who although he went lower than I thought he would has lots of upside. He's a huge 335 lb clog up the middle D1. I also wanted the Cows to grab him. I have no feel for the 'skins but they just don't ever get over the hump. Prediction: 8-8 (just a guess, not even a real educated one)

Now down to my Cowboys. Lotta biching and moaning on their boards about a true D1 middle stuffer (I was one). Also no true safety talent. Lots of talk about Earl Thomas and a trade was offered in the draft by the SeaChickens for a 2nd but Conner Williams was on the board at 50 in the 2nd and Dallas went with OL (but offered a 3rd which was declined). Dallas generally has gotten favorable reviews for their draft . I think they did well with Leighton Vander Esch at 19. Definitely unproven but big, rangy, and pretty fast. Should do the things Dallas wants their MLB to do. Dallas' D should be much improved. After totally revamping the defensive backfield last year the younger players were rounding into good form by the end of the season, numbers didn't look good but their early season was bad. DL should be the best I've seen in Dallas in over a decade (still missing that bad*** D1). Offensively I look for Dallas run game to be on par with 2016 which should help Dak. I'm glad Dez is gone along with his team disruptions. Dallas' receiving corps will not have a lot of names or experience but when Dez was out injured this team played better and there is better talent now. Michael Gallup will be a strong talent by 2019. Now Witten being gone will hurt, especially with his blocking. Coaching staff gives the Cowboys no real advantage. Cows will be better than 2017 though. All the Zeke suspension was a distraction all year and hurt team focus. Prediction 10-6 WC

As far as the NFC as a whole I basically see a 4 horse race from this early. Philthy, LAR, GB, Atl. NO Saints on the outside. Rams, Hawks, and Beagles are the strongest. The NFC is heads and shoulders above the AFC, IMO, as far as strength.

Comment

NFC East teams don't repeat as division champs:

2004 Eagles
      2005 Giants
      2006 Eagles
      2007 Cowboys
      2008 Giants
      2009 Cowboys
      2010 Eagles
      2011 Giants
      2012 Redskins
      2013 Eagles
      2014 Cowboys
      2015 Redskins
      2016 Cowboys
      2017 Eagles
      2018 NOT the Eagles

Comment

Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post
        NFC East teams don't repeat as division champs:

2004 Eagles
        2005 Giants
        2006 Eagles
        2007 Cowboys
        2008 Giants
        2009 Cowboys
        2010 Eagles
        2011 Giants
        2012 Redskins
        2013 Eagles
        2014 Cowboys
        2015 Redskins
        2016 Cowboys
        2017 Eagles
        2018 NOT the Eagles
        I know the history.

History is made to be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles R Guano View Post

I know the history.

History is made to be broken.
          That's true and they are bringing back a stronger team imo then the one that won it all. However looking over that list there were a lot of teams on it considered to be BETTER then the team that win it all the the year before but it never plays out that way. 2008 Giants and 2026 Cowboys come to mind
          Football has been very, very good to us.
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
          4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE
          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Games are played on the field. The off-season is for media types and other amateur prognosticators.

Teams that were very good last year and do not suffer significant injuries are most likely to be in the post season mix this upcoming year. Thatís as much as anyone can accurately say.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

That's true and they are bringing back a stronger team imo then the one that won it all. However looking over that list there were a lot of teams on it considered to be BETTER then the team that win it all the the year before but it never plays out that way. 2008 Giants and 2026 Cowboys come to mind

ZING !

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                Games are played on the field.
                Yes, they are. But sites such as this are made for more than the casual fan to talk about their beloved sport of American Football. I was attempting to do so here.

The off-season is for media types and other amateur prognosticators.
                I am obviously an amateur prognosticator as evidenced by mu OP.

Teams that were very good last year and do not suffer significant injuries are most likely to be in the post season mix this upcoming year. Thatís as much as anyone can accurately say.
                You left out the team wounding factors of free agency and the occasional suspension. Then there is the potential psychological blunder where a team loses focus and stumbles. I'd say the Falcons suffered thru that last year.

Comment

ZING !
                  Sometimes voice text does not work correctly. 2016 Cowboys
                  Football has been very, very good to us.
                  After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                  But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                  2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                  3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                  4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE
                  Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Yes, they are. But sites such as this are made for more than the casual fan to talk about their beloved sport of American Football. I was attempting to do so here.

I am obviously an amateur prognosticator as evidenced by mu OP.

You left out the team wounding factors of free agency and the occasional suspension. Then there is the potential psychological blunder where a team loses focus and stumbles. I'd say the Falcons suffered thru that last year.

The Giants did a fair bit of that last year as well.

I like your amateur prognostications. I'm pretty awful at it which is why I try to avoid doing it.

Comment

As far as the NFC as a whole I basically see a 4 horse race from this early. Philthy, LAR, GB, Atl. NO Saints on the outside. Rams, Hawks, and Beagles are the strongest. The NFC is heads and shoulders above the AFC, IMO, as far as strength.
                      This is easy to say in May, June -December is going to prove to be very different . It always is.
                      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

The NFC East will likely be more competitive this year. I can see the Giants, Cowboys and Skins improving on their 2017 records, especially the Giants. But I don't see the Eagles repeating as division champs because that's been hard to do in the NFC East.
                        One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Washington is hard for me to read. They seem to have worse records than they should with their personnel year after year. If their coaching is up to par I think the 'skins can do OK although I don't see Alex Smith adding pop to their offense. If they can keep Guice's head on straight they should have a productive run game. I watched Guice some as a college player and he has talent. I think the DL will be very strong. I liked Da'Ron Payne for my Cows in the 1st but he never made it there. They also got Tim Settle in the 5th rd. who although he went lower than I thought he would has lots of upside. He's a huge 335 lb clog up the middle D1. I also wanted the Cows to grab him. I have no feel for the 'skins but they just don't ever get over the hump. Prediction: 8-8 (just a guess, not even a real educated one)
                          Alex Smith is an upgrade over Kirk over the short-term, IMO. I think he makes better decisions and plays to win rather than protecting his stat line. He's also a threat to run if the opportunity presents itself. Adding Payne and Settle was a huge, and necessary upgrade to the interior DL. When you have to contend with Ezekiel Elliott, Saquon Barkley and the Eagles RBs twice each year, you had better stuff the run. Guice is intriguing, but I've got a hunch that Perine will push him hard for playing time. A healthy Chris Thompson makes for a nice change of pace. I'm going 9-7 give or take one game.

Comment

Working...
                          X