Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the worst fans in the NFC east award goes to??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
    The Cowboys themselves are outside of Dallas...
    It's about as pointless of a designation as the Giants playing in New Jersey.

This is brought up a lot by rival fans, but I think most people in general just don't have a good understanding of the Dallas--Fort Worth area. So just some explanations (via pictures!).

[Black Dot]: The Cowboys first stadium was the Cotton Bowl, which is located in Fair Park, just southeast of Downtown Dallas [boxed in yellow]... the dot is covering the "S" in Dallas.

[Red Dot]: The 2nd stadium was Texas Stadium, which was technically in Irving... it is the Red Dot. 9 miles from downtown, about 12-15 minutes depending on traffic

[Green Dot]: Current Cowboys stadium, At&t Stadium. About a 20 minute drive from downtown depending on traffic, in Arlington.

The [blue dot] is where I live which is the exact same distance from Downtown Dallas as at&t is from downtown (18.3 miles, 22 minutes). The difference is, I'm still technically in Dallas.

It's an ambiguous area that all kind of runs together. Honestly, most people probably wouldn't guess that I live in Dallas, because the yellow line (i635) is the unofficial northern border of Dallas.

People refer to all of DFW as Dallas often because if you say DFW, sometimes people think you mean the airport. And for the most part that's okay, because outside of the area there is nothing.

As you can see, Dallas-Fort Worth is a landlocked island in a vast area of nothingness. Waco is probably the closest "big town" to the metroplex (population only 130k), and it is the same distance to Dallas as Philadelphia is to New York City.

Austin and OKC are both 200 miles away in opposite directions, which is a little less than the distance between NYC and DC. And Houston and San Antonio are closer to 250 miles away.

As far as outsiders are concerned, Dallas-Fort Worth and all subsequent suburbs are synonymous with just the word "Dallas".

Comment

The Cowboys themselves are outside of Dallas...
      Breaking News: The Giants are outside New York.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post

This is brought up a lot by rival fans, but I think most people in general just don't have a good understanding of the Dallas--Fort Worth area. So just some explanations (via pictures!).

[Black Dot]: The Cowboys first stadium was the Cotton Bowl, which is located in Fair Park, just southeast of Downtown Dallas [boxed in yellow]... the dot is covering the "S" in Dallas.

[Red Dot]: The 2nd stadium was Texas Stadium, which was technically in Irving... it is the Red Dot. 9 miles from downtown, about 12-15 minutes depending on traffic

[Green Dot]: Current Cowboys stadium, At&t Stadium. About a 20 minute drive from downtown depending on traffic, in Arlington.

The [blue dot] is where I live which is the exact same distance from Downtown Dallas as at&t is from downtown (18.3 miles, 22 minutes). The difference is, I'm still technically in Dallas.

It's an ambiguous area that all kind of runs together. Honestly, most people probably wouldn't guess that I live in Dallas, because the yellow line (i635) is the unofficial northern border of Dallas.

People refer to all of DFW as Dallas often because if you say DFW, sometimes people think you mean the airport. And for the most part that's okay, because outside of the area there is nothing.

As you can see, Dallas-Fort Worth is a landlocked island in a vast area of nothingness. Waco is probably the closest "big town" to the metroplex (population only 130k), and it is the same distance to Dallas as Philadelphia is to New York City.

Austin and OKC are both 200 miles away in opposite directions, which is a little less than the distance between NYC and DC. And Houston and San Antonio are closer to 250 miles away.

As far as outsiders are concerned, Dallas-Fort Worth and all subsequent suburbs are synonymous with just the word "Dallas".
        This is an awesome response. Flawless
        If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post

Wow, thats a lot of work about this subject. Must get under your skin eh?

Comment

Now you got me intrigued.

11.5 miles. Actually, that is from lower Manhattan. From mid town its more like 6 miles.

Dallas is 18.6 miles from AT&T Stadium...

Both are pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by darrin99 View Post
              Breaking News: The Giants are outside New York.
              Exactly. Many teams don't even play in the city they supposedly represent. That's why I don't get how you think fans who live outside the area specified in a team's name are "phonies".

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                Wow, thats a lot of work about this subject. Must get under your skin eh?
                Maybe a little. But probably not JUST because of the "Cowboys aren't in Dallas" statement, although I've heard that countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                  Now you got me intrigued.

11.5 miles. Actually, that is from lower Manhattan. From mid town its more like 6 miles.

Dallas is 18.6 miles from AT&T Stadium...

Both are pretty close.

Right. And I'm betting with regard to traffic it's probably a similar commute as far as time goes. And that's not even taking into account that just about the western most point in Dallas is around mountain creek lake, which of course isn't that far from at&t.

Comment

It's things like this that make me think that North Jersey, NYC, Yonkers, and Long Island should all secede from their mother states and combine to make the State of Manhattan.

Oh, and South Jersey could join PA. Then PA has something worth a damn to visit in their state and the entire "Jersey Shore" series is invalidated by virtue of name... everybody wins.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Exactly. Many teams don't even play in the city they supposedly represent. That's why I don't get how you think fans who live outside the area specified in a team's name are "phonies".
                      Huh? Are you actually equating Cowboy fans in Texas that live 20 miles from where they play, to Cowboy "fans" that live in other parts of the country? lol

Comment

Originally posted by darrin99 View Post
                        Huh? Are you actually equating Cowboy fans in Texas that live 20 miles from where they play, to Cowboy "fans" that live in other parts of the country? lol
                        I am. How are they not? Why do you have to live wherever a team opts to base itself in order to support it?

Comment

I only look at fanbases based on how obnoxious and delusional they are, not geographic location.

Dallas has a couple obnoxious ones, but most I've met are generally respectful.
                          Skins fans got a little delusional RG3's rookie year, but again, most are fairly nice people.
                          Philadelphia's primary export is ******bags.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Eagles fans in a landslide.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eli's Giants View Post
                              Eagles fans by far!!! Like Jets fans, they're just angry that they haven't won in a long time.
                              in terms of NFL championships yea 1960 was a long time ago, in terms of SBs how about never eagles fans lol
                              Football has been very, very good to us.
                              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                              4-New York Giants!!!
                              5-NE
                              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Actually Eagles fans are the best. Look at the teams they've had over the years and they are still loyal.
                                Fan since 1970.
                                ---------------------

----------------------------------------------
                                "If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?"-- Joe Don Looney

Comment

Working...
                                X