Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nonkjo View Post
    Like Trent Dilfer...

Thanks, you just verified that D wins championships. If not for that #1 ranked D, they don't win the SB, which painfully was my Giants only SB loss. Ugh.

McMahon was a very good QB & the Bears actually had the #2 ranked O in the NFL in 85, but we all know that it was the #1 ranked Bears D that was the main reason they went 15-1 that yr en route to the SB

McMahon was a tough, hard nosed QB & I loved his style of play, but let's face it, he was not an elite QB during his career. Had a couple of really good seasons, but nothing spectacular.

Dilfer, nuff said. Ravens D won that yr for them

Brad Johnson had a few very good seasons in the NFL including throwing for 4005 yds in 99' while with the Skins, but again, was not considered an elite QB. Had a 4-3 career playoff record. Bucs #1 ranked D was main reason they were SB champ in 02'

70s Dolphins Steelers, & Cowboys won mainly due to their dominating defenses, yes, they had great players on O, but in the playoffs, their defenses were the main reason they won their SBs.

No name D
    Steel Curtain
    Doomsday D

Dallas D held Miami to a FG & beat Miami 24-3 for their 1st SB title in 71'
    Steelers held Minnesota to 6 points in 74' for their 1st SB title
    Miami held Washington to 7pts in 73' for their 1st SB title & came the closest to posting a SB shutout as they were leading 14-0 with under 2 min left in the game & was setting up for a FG that Ironically would have made the final score 17-0 to match their 17-0 undefeated season record, but the Skins blocked the FGA, kicker Garo Yepremian after recovering the blocked kick, instead of just going down to the ground with the ball, foolishly tried throwing the ball & ended up tapping the ball up in the air into the hands of Skins player Mike Bass who took it 49yds for a TD to make the final score 14-7.

Dolphins players were gonna kill Yepremian if that had cost them the game

Sorry, defense wins championships.
    Last edited by Parademon1; 11-14-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• The article posted kind of points out how much of a half-truth “Defense wins championships” is.

It’s an inverse relationship, and generally speaking the better defense only wins a little more than half the time in super bowls, and less than half the time in the playoffs in general.

I think having a stellar defense is the BEST way to win in the postseason because it holds up against the gauntlet of a single game elimination tournament better.

The reason offense generally doesn’t is because passing in the January/February climate is generally more difficult, and same thing goes for passing on the road.

When a High Flying offense doesn’t have to travel or play in bad weather, they can easily win the super bowl—like the New Orleans Saints in 2009 who boasted the 25th ranked defense.

The difference for Dallas is that their offense DOES travel well. It IS weatherproof to some extent. And what also bodes well for Dallas is the decision to go against the grain and build a team that is suited to run the ball on a league that was building itself to stop the pass.

The Dallas offense isn’t some phony or gimmicky attack. It just lines up and beats teams. Despite the defense being about average, there really isn’t a rash of teams that are a terrible matchup for Dallas in today’s league.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay051 View Post
        The Patriots offense was good without Brady but its great with him. Sorry I'm not buying that the Cowboys offense is considerably better than the Patriots.
        Not considerably better. They just present a different kind of challenge.

A gross generalization would be to say: Pats beat you with coaching, Cowboys beat you up.

Comment

• In the NFC, Seattle Giants & Philly present a challenge for the Dallas run game.

Comment

• Originally posted by nonkjo View Post
            I guess it doesn't tell you anything you don't want to hear if you're a Giant's fan.

One of the enduring themes of this thread is that when Dallas lost in week 1, somehow the Giant's punched them in the mouth..they lost by a single point and the scoreboard was all that counts.

In week 10, Dallas wins and now the Cowboys are supposed to make excuses for winning because, it's not the final score that counts, what we ought to worry ourselves with is what happened in the game?
            I never said any of that. You guys have a great O and I congratulated you on the win.

But my point is, did you feel bad when the Giants were the most injured team the past few years? Probably not. So if you want to use injuries as an excuse for bad D, I really don't want to hear it ;-P

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
              I never said any of that. You guys have a great O and I congratulated you on the win.

But my point is, did you feel bad when the Giants were the most injured team the past few years? Probably not. So if you want to use injuries as an excuse for bad D, I really don't want to hear it ;-P

I did notice that that is the excuse they are using for Big Ben lighting them up. Truth is the Dallas game plan is the same one they used in 2014. run the ball to win the TOP & keep our mediocre D off the field as much as possible. Yesterday, was a very good example, their D was on the field close to 30 min & gave up 30 pts which should have been close to 36 or 40pts if Steelers could convert their 2 pt attempts. In many of their wins the O has been on the field 35+ min so the D has been well rested & usually playing with a 14+ pt lead in which the other team is now one dimensional due to playing catch up, so no need to worry bout the run game as much.

You saw how quick the Dallas D gave up the lead to Pittsburgh when Dallas had just regained the lead & they scored in the final min of the game & had to rely on their O to pull their fat outta the fire.

Dallas D will be their downfall late in the season. They lack a pass rush, asides from Lee, really have no big name players on D that are having a great yr & can be lit up thru the air by a potent offense & top tier QB.

Comment

• The butthurt is strong with this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                  Not considerably better. They just present a different kind of challenge.

A gross generalization would be to say: Pats beat you with coaching, Cowboys beat you up.
                  With Elliot and Dez, I believe that! Literally! haha

Nice win by the Boys. Little lucky, but you need it sometimes. Still can't wait for the accident.
                  I APPLIED TO BE THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER OF THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS.

Comment

• eli throws ANOTHER int lol.... traditional yanno. he's gotta throw at least once a game..

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                      With Elliot and Dez, I believe that! Literally! haha

Nice win by the Boys. Little lucky, but you need it sometimes. Still can't wait for the accident.
                      Change your name to the Idiot. Better fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.R.Ewing View Post
                        eli throws ANOTHER int lol.... traditional yanno. he's gotta throw at least once a game..
                        sigpic

Comment

eli throws ANOTHER int lol.... traditional yanno. he's gotta throw at least once a game..
                          Even without one of their best Defensive DBs D. Thompson out for the year. This Defense is good enough too shut down Dak and Elliott. The giants held Cinn too about 100 less overall yards then Dallas did. Cinn had 27 First downs too Dallas's 21... Giants had 23 First downs too Cinn only 12.. They had 15 more first downs on the Dallas D. Now I realize a lot of those may have been in garbage time when dallas was in a prevent. But still pretty interesting the Giants D held them too 15 less 1st downs.

The Offense will continue too struggle with this O line, ALL YEAR. .Because Reese did not address it. With an O Line this team with the weapons they have would do some damage.. It will probably be their undoing in the end.

However right now the Giants Goal should be too secure one of those WC spots. Believe it or not the East is not out of reach. If the Giants can get it too a one game Gap between now and when they play Dallas that game will be for First place. I doubt that will happen. More likely is too shoot for the 5th WC Spot and finish season strong. Then While the Dallas players are in Cabo on their bye week the giants will be gaining momentum by winning the WC game.

Then and this should ring a bell.. The Giants might come too AT&T for the Regional Playoff Game Dallas at 13-3? 14-2.. Who knows.. But they go down in flames too the giants again. Would be so Great.
                          Last edited by miked1958; 11-15-2016, 12:10 AM.
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

• Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                            Even without one of their best Defensive DBs D. Thompson out for the year. This Defense is good enough too shut down Dak and Elliott. The giants held Cinn too about 100 less overall yards then Dallas did. Cinn had 27 First downs too Dallas's 21... Giants had 23 First downs too Cinn only 12.. They had 15 more first downs on the Dallas D. Now I realize a lot of those may have been in garbage time when dallas was in a prevent. But still pretty interesting the Giants D held them too 15 less 1st downs.

The Offense will continue too struggle with this O line, ALL YEAR. .Because Reese did not address it. With an O Line this team with the weapons they have would do some damage.. It will probably be their undoing in the end.

However right now the Giants Goal should be too secure one of those WC spots. Believe it or not the East is not out of reach. If the Giants can get it too a one game Gap between now and when they play Dallas that game will be for First place. I doubt that will happen. More likely is too shoot for the 5th WC Spot and finish season strong. Then While the Dallas players are in Cabo on their bye week the giants will be gaining momentum by winning the WC game.

Then and this should ring a bell.. The Giants might come too AT&T for the Regional Playoff Game Dallas at 13-3? 14-2.. Who knows.. But they go down in flames too the giants again. Would be so Great.
                            Just too difficult to compare games.

You're right though. The Bengals racked up about about 130 yards and a dozen first downs over the span of 11 minutes as the Cowboys let them bleed out slowly. That game was basically over once we went up 28-0.

The Giants have a better defense than the Cowboys though.so do the Eagles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                              Just too difficult to compare games.

You're right though. The Bengals racked up about about 130 yards and a dozen first downs over the span of 11 minutes as the Cowboys let them bleed out slowly. That game was basically over once we went up 28-0.

The Giants have a better defense than the Cowboys though.so do the Eagles.
                              Well as i said above. I still think the giants undoing will be the O Line. Also losing D. Thompson in the Secondary was big. Freak foot injury where a guy fell on him toward the end of a game and he never got back from it. Started practicing after about 4 or so weeks had a set back and gone for the year. The kid is another like Collins.. Has a nose for the ball and a big hitter.

I think the Giants will contend next year after they fix the O line. This year the goal should be to get back too the playoffs at least as a WC and maybe win one game. But you never know. They seem too have a knack for sweaking in and then causing havoc
                              Football has been very, very good to us.
                              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                              4-New York Giants!!!
                              5-NE
                              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Yeah. His rook receiver literally fell down without being touched, but you enjoy. Romo saves his picks and/or melts down when the season is on the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X