Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFC East Draft Results: How Did Your Team Fare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too early to tell.

I'd rank it:

1. Redskins
    2. Eagles
    3. Cowboys
    4. Giants

Basically I thought the first three got the best value they could for where they picked in the first three rounds and often the pick matched a need or area that desperately needed improving.

I thought the Giants did a great job with their value as well and took more of a BPA approach which is always smart to do. But I just didn't like the Davis Webb pick.

All of the teams seemed to have gotten better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
      It's too early to tell.

I'd rank it:

1. Redskins
      2. Eagles
      3. Cowboys
      4. Giants

Basically I thought the first three got the best value they could for where they picked in the first three rounds and often the pick matched a need or area that desperately needed improving.

I thought the Giants did a great job with their value as well and took more of a BPA approach which is always smart to do. But I just didn't like the Davis Webb pick.

Lol no one likes the Davis Webb pick. Especially in the 3rd round when you are in win now mode. Could of waited till later in Draft and got Peterman or Kelly or even Webb for that matter. Grab someone in the 3rd that can help now. But we come to expect this Every year from Reese. He always​ has a round or two where he Reaches and leaves us all scratching our heads

We don't call him Jerry Reach for nothing
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
        Lol no one likes the Davis Webb pick. Especially in the 3rd round when you are in win now mode. Could of waited till later in Draft and got Peterman or Kelly or even Webb for that matter. Grab someone in the 3rd that can help now. But we come to expect this Every year from Reese. He always​ has a round or two where he Reaches and leaves us all scratching our heads

We don't call him Jerry Reach for nothing
        Yeah pretty much.

Iím usually all for taking a QB at some point in the draft.

At best you get a future franchise guy, a serviceable back-up on a low salary, or a player you can turn into trade bait (like Cassel or Flynn).

And at worst you waste a pick, but that happens a lot anyway regardless of position.

But in a draft thatís deep as this one was, it seemed odd to spend a high pick on Webb.

I just donít much care for the player/guy and donít think heís the QB of the future. And where the Giants are as of now and having a QB that never misses games, a back-up isnít as important and creating trade bait is almost impossible when the guy likely wonít see the field in a meaningful situation.

Comment

Yeah pretty much.

I’m usually all for taking a QB at some point in the draft.

At best you get a future franchise guy, a serviceable back-up on a low salary, or a player you can turn into trade bait (like Cassel or Flynn).

And at worst you waste a pick, but that happens a lot anyway regardless of position.

But in a draft that’s deep as this one was, it seemed odd to spend a high pick on Webb.

I just don’t much care for the player/guy and don’t think he’s the QB of the future. And where the Giants are as of now and having a QB that never misses games, a back-up isn’t as important and creating trade bait is almost impossible when the guy likely won’t see the field in a meaningful situation.
          Exactly. Same thing happened with Nassib who never saw the field. And Reese Traded up to get him. What a waste. There was plenty of impact players left when it was their turn in the 3rd. Could of chosen a L Backer like Cunningham or RB like Perine.

Now they have a 3rd pick that won't play for 3/5 years if at all
          Last edited by miked1958; 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM.
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back

4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE

Comment

It's too early to tell.

I'd rank it:

1. Redskins
            2. Eagles
            3. Cowboys
            4. Giants

While I wouldn't have picked a QB in the 3rd round, I'm not going to say I don't like the Webb pick. After reading up on Webb and watching some of his tape I'm starting to see why the Giants think he could be a back-up and potential successor for Eli. And while Eli has been 'Mr Iron Man', and hopefully will remain so, if he gets hurt then the Giants could have a better option than Geno Smith to step in.
            One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
              While I wouldn't have picked a QB in the 3rd round, I'm not going to say I don't like the Webb pick. After reading up on Webb and watching some of his tape I'm starting to see why the Giants think he could be a back-up and potential successor for Eli. And while Eli has been 'Mr Iron Man', and hopefully will remain so, if he gets hurt then the Giants could have a better option than Geno Smith to step in.
              He's a project so we have no real idea of how he's going to pan out, so my guess is as good as yours. You could very well be right that he'll turn into something.

He's been said to have a great work ethic, so he's has a shot.

Comment

He's a project so we have no real idea of how he's going to pan out, so my guess is as good as yours. You could very well be right that he'll turn into something.

he has more than that,,,best arm in the draft,,mobile,,makes big time NFL throws now,,,flicks the ball 60 yards with accuracy and with ease,,,a coach's son and a film rat...i like him. teams always take a chance on talent,,,look at gregory.

Comment

Exactly. Same thing happened with Nassib who never saw the field. And Reese Traded up to get him. What a waste. There was plenty of impact players left when it was their turn in the 3rd. Could of chosen a L Backer like Cunningham or RB like Perine.

Now they have a 3rd pick that won't play for 3/5 years if at all
                  and a possible franchise QB to play 10-15 years..this kid has way more going on than nassib.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsLifer View Post
                    For Philly the Derek Barnett pickup was interesting. Broke Reggie White's school records at Tennessee, and then got drafted by the Eagles.

Left tackle had better be stout.
                    meh,,,let him play some downs 1st. and thats why ellison was signed,,for these exact situations.

Comment

Every player that gets drafted is a project, some more than others, since they've never played in the NFL before. True, no one knows if Webb will develop into a stud or dud. Only time will tell for that. But I'm not mad at the Giants for picking Webb because they need to seriously be looking at grooming Eli's successor, whether that will be Webb or another QB they draft higher in a year or two.

sigpic

Comment

Every player that gets drafted is a project, some more than others, since they've never played in the NFL before. True, no one knows if Webb will develop into a stud or dud. Only time will tell for that. But I'm not mad at the Giants for picking Webb because they need to seriously be looking at grooming Eli's successor, whether that will be Webb or another QB they draft higher in a year or two.
                        And everyone is harping about the 8 QBs in next year's class being better then anything that came out this year. Well two things I have to say about that

Number 1 there is nothing saying they can't grab one of them next year even if they have to Trade up. No big deal having two possible candidates to eventually replace Eli. One would become the Starter and the other one his backup once Eli is gone.

Number 2 I feel that Reese really believes this team is set for a deep playoff run in 2017 thus meaning drafting way at the bottom of each round meaning unless they traded way up ( as I mentioned above ) to get their guy they could lose out on a good one in first two rounds trying to get one where he thinks they will be picking from.

This is why he grabbed Webb when he had the chance in round 3 when he fell to them. Just in case they are picking 29-32 next year

I'm sure they knew they could of grabbed Peterman or Kelly in later rounds but for some reason they liked and had Webb graded way higher then those two and didn't want to gamble he'd be there in Rounds 4 or 5 and probably didn't want to have to trade up to get him
                        Last edited by miked1958; 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM.

4-New York Giants!!!
                        5-NE

Comment

And everyone is harping about the 8 QBs in next year's class being better then anything that came out this year. Well two things I have to say about that

Number 1 there is nothing saying they can't grab one of them next year even if they have to Trade up. No big deal having two possible candidates to eventually replace Eli. One would become the Starter and the other one his backup once Eli is gone.

Number 2 I feel that Reese really believes this team is set for a deep playoff run in 2017 thus meaning drafting way at the bottom of each round meaning unless they traded way up ( as I mentioned above ) to get their guy they could lose out on a good one in first two rounds trying to get one where he thinks they will be picking from.

This is why he grabbed Webb when he had the chance in round 3 when he fell to them. Just in case they are picking 29-32 next year

I'm sure they knew they could of grabbed Peterman or Kelly in later rounds but for some reason they liked and had Webb graded way higher then those two and didn't want to gamble he'd be there in Rounds 4 or 5 and probably didn't want to have to trade up to get him
                          Agree on all points.

Plus, people assume that Webb, or some other young QB, may not see the field for 2 or 3 years. While that would be the ideal scenario, if Eli gets hurt, or his level of play goes into a sharp decline, it's better to have a young QB that's being groomed to step in than to get caught off guard like the Colts did when Peyton got hurt and all they had was Curtis Painter. The Colts were fortunate that Luck was waiting for them in the draft that year, but the Giants can't just assume they a really good QB will be just waiting for them to snag.

sigpic

Comment

Agree on all points.

Plus, people assume that Webb, or some other young QB, may not see the field for 2 or 3 years. While that would be the ideal scenario, if Eli gets hurt, or his level of play goes into a sharp decline, it's better to have a young QB that's being groomed to step in than to get caught off guard like the Colts did when Peyton got hurt and all they had was Curtis Painter. The Colts were fortunate that Luck was waiting for them in the draft that year, but the Giants can't just assume they a really good QB will be just waiting for them to snag.
                            Exactly. No guarantee they can get one of the great 8 next year so he pulled the trigger. I'm ok with it

4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE

Comment

Check this out. A civil discussion in the "Smack Talk" section. Where's Freebird when you need him?

Comment

Agree on all points.

Webb could be the guy or maybe somebody they get next year but definitely not to soon to start thinking about it. He gets hurt in next year or two and u use Geno or Johnson Season and all its promise probably dead. However like Dallas maybe u strike gold on a pick
                                Last edited by miked1958; 05-02-2017, 03:36 PM.

4-New York Giants!!!
                                5-NE

Comment

Working...
                                X