Mario Manningham: Stays or Goes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario Manningham: Stays or Goes

Do you think Mario Manningham will be back with the Giants?
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Re: Mario Manningham: Stays or Goes

no.

but he may not get the offers he expects in FA and may take a smaller contract to stay with the Giants.

even if he does leave, it would virtually, imo, guarantee Steve Smith returns, which imo, would be even better for our offense and would cost us less against the salary cap

Comment

[quote user="giantsfan420"]no.

but he may not get the offers he expects in FA and may take a smaller contract to stay with the Giants.

even if he does leave, it would virtually, imo, guarantee Steve Smith returns, which imo, would be even better for our offense and would cost us less against the salary cap[/quote]+1

Smith adds that consistency to move those chains and provide further comfort for Eli.

Having a big play offense is awesome, but it is also a little flukey. Consistency with the threat of a big play is downright scary.
      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

[quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="giantsfan420"]no.

even if he does leave, it would virtually, imo, guarantee Steve Smith returns, which imo, would be even better for our offense and would cost us less against the salary cap[/quote]+1

Smith adds that consistency to move those chains and provide further comfort for Eli.

Having a big play offense is awesome, but it is also a little flukey. Consistency with the threat of a big play is downright scary.[/quote]

exactly. great point. it'd also make our wr corp more dynamic.
        nicks-that downfield threat who also can go across the middle
        cruz-underneath guy who can also go deep
        smith-intermediate guy who uses double moves to constantly get open in the middle of the field.

it'd be unfair to opposing defenses. BB made it a point to say "make MM beat us" and doubled nicks and cruz...if he leaves someone 1 v 1 on smith, fugedaboudit...it'd be comical seeing a nickel corner trying to man up against smith.

remember, when smith and nicks were starting TEAMS WERE DOUBLE TEAMING SMITH...that's how awesome the eli to smith connection was.

i love me some MM, but honestly, i'd rather save a lil bit of dough and just make sure we re-sign smith

Comment

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="giantsfan420"]no.

Having a big play offense is awesome, but it is also a little flukey. Consistency with the threat of a big play is downright scary.[/quote]

smith-intermediate guy who uses double moves to constantly get open in the middle of the field.

it'd be unfair to opposing defenses. BB made it a point to say "make MM beat us" and doubled nicks and cruz...if he leaves someone 1 v 1 on smith, fugedaboudit...it'd be comical seeing a nickel corner trying to man up against smith.

remember, when smith and nicks were starting TEAMS WERE DOUBLE TEAMING SMITH...that's how awesome the eli to smith connection was.

i love me some MM, but honestly, i'd rather save a lil bit of dough and just make sure we re-sign smith[/quote]Plus, you move Cruz outside where he can't be as easily bracketed, and can display his speed as a deep threat and incredible ball skills. I've said a lot that I think Cruz projects better as an X or Z receiver, more so a Z.

But if you go back and rewatch the SB, he was bracketed about every pass play.

Smith in the slot will either start getting those bracket coverages like he was getting when here, but then that leaves Nicks or Cruz with one guy, or a favorable TE matchup (imagine Fleener here, too).

You always see teams and units look great on paper, but they normally fail to impress on paper, wether it be "T.O and Roy Williams", "Randy Moss and Welker" almost any "pick your poison WR core" that just doesn't get it done, but with the Giants, they've proven they can get it done and be dominant and win a SB. You take a talented yet inconsistent player and add a character guy like Smith who will work as hard as anyone, and with Eli to further develop chemistry, and there really is no conceivable way to stop them.

Comment

he goes. He's a good player but replaceable.

Additionally, The offense through Eli is essentially "read and react" for WR's on many routes. The WR has options based on the coverages but needs to "read" the Defensive coverage the same as Eli. Smart players like Cruz, Nicks, Smith, Amani have great field vision and "NFL Smarts" and it makes life very difficult for the D. It's VITAL that the QB and WR's have a high football IQ. I dont think Mario has it and thats why, him and Eli are many times not on the same page.

Comment

[quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="giantsfan420"]no.

i love me some MM, but honestly, i'd rather save a lil bit of dough and just make sure we re-sign smith[/quote]Plus, you move Cruz outside where he can't be as easily bracketed, and can display his speed as a deep threat and incredible ball skills. I've said a lot that I think Cruz projects better as an X or Z receiver, more so a Z.

But if you go back and rewatch the SB, he was bracketed about every pass play.

Smith in the slot will either start getting those bracket coverages like he was getting when here, but then that leaves Nicks or Cruz with one guy, or a favorable TE matchup (imagine Fleener here, too).

You always see teams and units look great on paper, but they normally fail to impress on paper, wether it be "T.O and Roy Williams", "Randy Moss and Welker" almost any "pick your poison WR core" that just doesn't get it done, but with the Giants, they've proven they can get it done and be dominant and win a SB. You take a talented yet inconsistent player and add a character guy like Smith who will work as hard as anyone, and with Eli to further develop chemistry, and there really is no conceivable way to stop them.[/quote]

i agree cruz could be as deadly on the outside as in the slot. the only thing that could possibly hurt him is the sideline takes away some of his movements, but he still was very successful on the outside this season. he'll just have to work and improve on a couple things, which is a good thing imo.

plus, smith isnt strictly a slot guy, he too is like cruz where he is deadly in the slot but very effective outwide. we'd have 3 wr's who would all be interchangeable which is amazing. nicks played some out the slot too.

and ur point about fleener, that's why i really hope he is the pick. he too can run double routes very effectively, is 6'6 and 250 pounds but fast as heck.

just having nicks, cruz, and smith would be indefensible, imagine adding a fleener, and then a ballard when healthy?

our offense could be one of the great all time offenses and i truly believe that. we'd be impossible to defend. i can dream can't I?

and it isn't even that unlikely to be honest, i honestly believe we will target smith, and study fleener and at 32, if he isn't taken, i can't imagine a 2nd round talent being the BPA over fleener...

Comment

[quote user="MikeSherrard"]he goes.* He's a good player but replaceable.*

Additionally, The offense through Eli is essentially "read and react" for WR's on many routes.* The WR has options based on the coverages but needs to "read" the Defensive coverage the same as Eli.* Smart players like Cruz, Nicks, Smith, Amani have great field vision and "NFL Smarts" and it makes life very difficult for the D.* It's VITAL that the QB and WR's have a high football IQ.* I dont think Mario has it and thats why, him and Eli are many times not on the same page.
                [/quote]Well said, you left Plaxico out who, although not the smartest guy, was very meticulous, had a high football IQ and was on Eli's page enough to make them one of the most prolific QB-WR duos in the NFL for a few years.

Comment

Manningham would be a #2 receiver on any other team easily, and even a #1 on some teams. As much as I love the guy, I think his time has come.

Of course, there is a huge number of wideouts in FA this year, so maybe he might come back at a lower deal if he can't find anything? You know, supply and demand...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]Manningham would be a #2 receiver on any other team easily, and even a #1 on some teams. As much as I love the guy, I think his time has come. Of course, there is a huge number of wideouts in FA this year, so maybe he might come back at a lower deal if he can't find anything? You know, supply and demand...[/quote] A team like the Jags or 9ers could really use Mario, and i have a feeling, he'll get paid big doe..

Comment

Manningham is this year's Kevin Boss. Good luck to him.

Comment

Jernigan or Barden get a shot.

Comment

With all the folks clamoring for Steve Smith, does anyone know if he has actually recovered from the knee injury, and Phili bringing him back early?

Comment

giantsfan420 and gmen0820

Is your preference for MM to go and we sign Steve Smith, or if the $$ work out do you prefer to keep MM? If we can work the deal with MM, do you want to sign Smith anyway? I don't have a bone to pick either way - just couldn't tell for sure what your #1 preference would be.

Comment

I would have said he is definately gone, but the volume of FA vs space available is staggering this season. A lot of players are going to be sitting home waiting for an injury. MM may not get much more than what the Giants offer him.

Mario very well could be a Giant next year.

I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Working...
                              X