Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is to blame for the Giants Salary Cap issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is to blame for the Giants Salary Cap issues?

The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eliall NEED to retructure their contracts orJerry will have some major decisions to make.

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft.

But hey, we just won another Superbowl!

Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins.

Re: Who is to blame for the Giants Salary Cap issues?

next man up.

it's the NFL , that's the way it works.

glad i don't have to make those decisions.
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime.

Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap.

I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.

Comment

Far too early to worry.

It's going to be a busy summer all over the NFL and there's no doubt that there will be comings and goings down Meadowlands way.

Comment

[quote user="Itlan"]Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime. Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap. I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.[/quote]

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.

Cincinnati Bengals $80,641,237

Tennessee Titans $92,739,765

Washington Redskins $94,351,284

Kansas City Chiefs $95,844,195

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $98,899,458

Atlanta Falcons $100,227,174

Denver Broncos $101,389,121

New England Patriots $101,827,381

Chicago Bears $101,887,741

San Francisco 49ers $102,938,980

Cleveland Browns $103,789,162

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

Jacksonville Jaguars $107,270,274

Buffalo Bills $108,426,522

Seattle Seahawks $111,742,430

San Diego Chargers $111,960,165

New Orleans Saints $113,358,069

Philadelphia Eagles $113,964,694

Baltimore Ravens $115,670,281

Minnesota Vikings $116,078,422

Houston Texans $116,306,676

Miami Dolphins $116,636,173

Indianapolis Colts $116,773,288

Green Bay Packers $118,001,169

Arizona Cardinals $118,787,639

TIGHTENING THE BELT

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.

St. Louis Rams $120,982,904

Detroit Lions $122,760,121

New York Giants $124,735,807

New York Jets $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers $149,885,537

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...12-season.html

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

[quote user="Itlan"]Jerry Jones said Dallas has about $20 mill to spend and he plans on spending every last dime. Not sure where you got the tight budget from, but most of these reports are wrong because they don't factor in a myriad of different things that all go into maintaining the cap. I'll wait until Reese makes move to care.[/quote]

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.

Cincinnati Bengals*********** $80,641,237

Tennessee Titans************ $92,739,765

Washington Redskins**** $94,351,284

Kansas City Chiefs*********** $95,844,195

Tampa Bay Buccaneers* $98,899,458

Atlanta Falcons**************** $100,227,174

Denver Broncos * * * * * * * *$101,389,121

New England Patriots**** $101,827,381

Chicago Bears******************* $101,887,741

San Francisco 49ers******** $102,938,980

Cleveland Browns*********** $103,789,162

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

Jacksonville Jaguars******* $107,270,274

Buffalo Bills************************ $108,426,522

Seattle Seahawks* * * * * * * $111,742,430

San Diego Chargers******** $111,960,165

New Orleans Saints******** $113,358,069

Philadelphia Eagles********* $113,964,694

Baltimore Ravens************ $115,670,281

Minnesota Vikings********** $116,078,422

Houston Texans * * * * * * * * $116,306,676

Miami Dolphins**************** $116,636,173

Indianapolis Colts************ $116,773,288

Green Bay Packers * * * * * *$118,001,169

Arizona Cardinals************ $118,787,639

TIGHTENING THE BELT

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.

St. Louis Rams****************** $120,982,904

Detroit Lions********************* $122,760,121

New York Giants************* $124,735,807

New York Jets** *************** $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys**************** $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers*********** $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders************** $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers******** $149,885,537

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...12-season.html

[/quote]
            I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.

Comment

YOU BLAME THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR 2 SUPER BOWL TITLES IN 4 YEARS!

THE GIANTS SIGNED PLAYERS TO LARGE CONTRACTS IN ORDER TO WIN....AND THEY DID!

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"] I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.[/quote]

They have a hell of a front office financially. They are great at structuring contracts and not having heavy contracts they cant get out of easily. Not sure how they fully do it though. But there they are again, under the cap and ready to do some more shopping.

Reese paid Eli dearly, but Eli is playing like he is getting paid. But contracts like CWeb, Jacobs, Canty, Rolle and Diehl and Snee really hamper us. Cweb, as good as he is, is making a ton of money. Same with Eli. In 2017, Eli will be making almost $20M!

Comment

ST LOUIS...........THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!...OVER BUDGET AND HARDLY ANY WINS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS

Comment

[quote user="MikeSherrard"]ST LOUIS...........THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!...OVER BUDGET AND HARDLY ANY WINS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS
                    [/quote]

Thats what happens when you continually have a top 5 pick up until last year. Those players GOT PAID big time money before ever taking a snap. Look at Bradford or Longs contracts.

Comment

We don't really have salary cap issues.

We built team to compete for a SB, and we won it.

That is money well spent.

Our core guys aren't going anywhere.

Brandon Jacobs, Kareem McKenzie are replaceable. Deon Grant is replaceable. Aaron Ross is replaceable. Mario Manningham is replaceable (I will miss him), Osi may be traded (I hope not)

We need to re-work some contracts, and draft well, but next year we will still have Eli, great receivers, a better O-line, a great defensive line, a good secondary.

Reese at the helm of this ship, and I am not worried at all. He will put good talent out there next year as well.

Comment

Also, next year we get back:
                        Marvin Austin
                        Jonathan Goff
                        and Possibly:
                        Clint Sintim, Terrell Thomas

Austin is a guy they were excited about, and had a first round grade, so it will be like getting a bonus guy in the draft this year :-)

If there is ANY way we get Terrell Thomas back to form - then we may even have a stronger next year than we did last year.

The GIANTS know what they are doing.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]* I don't understand how the Eagles are year in and year out significantly under the cap. It really is mind boggling to me.[/quote]

They have a hell of a front office financially. They are great at structuring contracts and not having heavy contracts they cant get out of easily. Not sure how they fully do it though. But there they are again, under the cap and ready to do some more shopping.

Reese paid Eli dearly, but Eli is playing like he is getting paid. But contracts like CWeb, Jacobs, Canty, Rolle and Diehl and Snee really hamper us. Cweb, as good as he is, is making a ton of money. Same with Eli. In 2017, Eli will be making almost $20M!

[/quote]
                          I wouldn't be surprised if they are handing out some dollars under the table.

Comment

[quote user="Tommy_Ribs"]Also, next year we get back:
                            Marvin Austin
                            Jonathan Goff
                            and Possibly:
                            Clint Sintim, Terrell Thomas

Austin is a guy they were excited about, and had a first round grade, so it will be like getting a bonus guy in the draft this year :-)

If there is ANY way we get Terrell Thomas back to form - then we may even have a stronger next year than we did last year.

The GIANTS know what they are doing.
                            [/quote]

You think having Clint "Let's Wipe Ourselves With A 2nd Round Pick" Sintim on the roster is a positive? (It's not the catchiest nickname, I know.)

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

The Giants are once again well over the Cap limit and need to dump quality players because of it.

Kind of sucks we wont be able to retain any of our FAs without some major adjustments. This could be a completely different team next season. Reese pulled it off last year and was right. But can he do it again? Manningham, Thomas, Ross and KMac are most likely all gone. Baas, Jacobs, Canty, CWeb, Eli*all NEED to retructure their contracts or*Jerry will have some major decisions to make.

This also means we are not going to be able to sign any big time FAs for the 2nd year in a row, while teams like Philly and Washington can reload. Dallas is also on a tight budget. I know Philly's spending spree didnt work last year, but there is no denying the talent they have.

Before you say we have to resign Mario or Thomas or whoever, think about it. How can we really afford it? Looks like we will let all those guys test the market and pray we hit on the draft.

But hey, we just won another Superbowl!

Giants are $9M over the cap and need to trim it by March 13th, when FA begins.

[/quote]

I guess Reese for choosing quality draft picks.

Or maybe Coughlin for developing them? I think its a very small price to pay.
                              sigpic
                              BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X