Bradshaws TD vs 20 yard FG,answer this question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradshaws TD vs 20 yard FG,answer this question

I know we've killed this to death but let me approach it from a different angle besides hindsight.It's pregame.I give you 2 senarios.We could attempt a 20 yard extra point FG on the last or next to last play of the game for the win or score a TD and give Brady 57 seconds w/1TO and a Td beats us.Before the game.What's your answer?.Mine is that the shortest,easiest possible FG near the gun is ABSOLUTELY MY BEST CASE SENARIO.Remember,it's before the game.

Re: Bradshaws TD vs 20 yard FG,answer this question

Touchdown every time kthxbye
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

Can't get over the Superbowl madness eh? That's understandable.

The Patriots were doomed either way.

The only flaw with the FG decision is

A) any wrong happens with the FG, Giants lose.
      B) The FG would have absolutely not been the last play of the game, not even close. The Patriots had a time out and Bradshaw's TD run was on 2nd Down with 1 minute to go. 40 second play-clock -> 20 seconds left on game clock 3rd Down QB kneel -> Patriots Timeout (although I think the Giants would have gone for the TD here anyway) -> Chip Shot FG 1-2 seconds off the clock (18 seconds left in the game) -> Kickoff (touchback - no time off the clock) (A return -> 3-4 seconds off the clock).

Leaving the Patriots with 15-18 seconds from the own 20-30 yard line to get into game winning FG range for one of the most accurate kickers in the league (still hard to do anyway).

In conclusion, I think the Giants would have gone for the TD on 3rd down anyway. The FG was probably the last thing in their mind.

Comment

botched snap or blocked FG and the Patriots are champions.

TD is the better call. Have faith in the Defense.

Comment

It's so simple I can't believe we're still talking about it. You don't turn down a free TD in the SUPERBOWL, basing it on the fact that you THINK or ASSUME, that you will have no problem getting a good snap, good hold, and good kick. With each of those players, longsnapper, holder, and kicker, knowing that if they mess up, their team loses the SUPERBOWL! You just don't take that chance. I don't care how many times, or in however many threads, you want to call it an extra point. It is not an extra point. The pressure there is immense and you are relying on 3 people to execute their job in the most pressure packed moment of their life.

Take the free points every time!!!

Comment

make a dink and dunk offense go 80 yards for a TD with maybe a minute

vs

risk Trey Junkin 3000 or the pats having to go 60 yards for a field goal

Comment

At the time I was absolutelyagainst it, and actually was a little upset we scored... yeah, weirdest superbowl winning TD feeling ever...

Then I thought about this...

And I was good with it.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

At the time I was absolutely for it, and actually was a little upset we scored... yeah, weirdest superbowl winning TD feeling ever...

Then I thought about this...

And I was good with it.

[/quote]

Or This

Comment

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Can't get over the Superbowl madness eh? That's understandable.

The Patriots were doomed either way.

The only flaw with the FG decision is

A) any wrong happens with the FG, Giants lose.
                  B) The FG would have absolutely not been the last play of the game, not even close. The Patriots had a time out and Bradshaw's TD run was on 2nd Down with 1 minute to go. 40 second play-clock -> 20 seconds left on game clock 3rd Down QB kneel -> Patriots Timeout (although I think the Giants would have gone for the TD here anyway) -> Chip Shot FG 1-2 seconds off the clock (18 seconds left in the game) -> Kickoff (touchback - no time off the clock) (A return -> 3-4 seconds off the clock).

Leaving the Patriots with 15-18 seconds from the own 20-30 yard line to get into game winning FG range for one of the most accurate kickers in the league (still hard to do anyway).

In conclusion, I think the Giants would have gone for the TD on 3rd down anyway. The FG was probably the last thing in their mind.[/quote]

This. A FG, even if successful, on 4th down wouldn't run the clock out entirely. Yes, it would be a lot less, but it would require that the pats only score a FG to win. Whereas our TD put us up by more than 3. It's a tradeoff: would you like more time on the clock but forcing them to get into the end zone, or less time on the clock whereas they only need to get to the 35 yard line or so.

Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out because we won. Even more than that, Brady was given 57 seconds and a timeout to march the ball across the field. Now you can't say it was a "game of last possession"... Brady was given a chance to answer, but our defense stepped up and prevented the score.

(that said, a JPP FG block to end the game would also be awesome)

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

ANYTHING can happen.

Go to the NFC Championship game. DeOssie who I love, snaps the ball low, but luckily Weatherford handles it well and Tynes kicks us into the Super Bowl. Who's to say there's no low snap this time around?

Like someone wrote above, you trust in your defense. To be honest, I'm still kind of pissed our last TD was all out of wack. You didn't get the typical go-head clutch time touchdown call from the play-by-play, and then the sitting down...just kinda takes away the lore a little bit.

Comment

OK,Bradshaw kneels at the 1.Touched at,say,55 seconds.Pat's take last TO.3rd down,Eli moves to the middle and takes a knee at the 2.40 second clock starts at,ay, 50 seconds.clock running.Giants call last TO at 11.By rule,FG takes at least 4 seconds.FG inside 4 seconds ends game,for instance.So,within a second or so the Giants,at worst,kick off with 7 seconds left.So let's get the time issue out of the way discussing this.The 20 yard FG,for all intents and purposes,ends the game.If somebody brings up Cal-Stanford I'm gonna scream.

Comment

OK,you trust your defense more than your kicker who has made 150 strait 20 yarders.I trust this years offense.They earned it.I go back 40 years.This year our defense,at times,played as badly as ANY Giants defense I've ever seen.Yeah,they got it together late and played championship D.But trust our D?Over trusting we make a 20 yarder instead?You give your trust alot easier than I do.

Comment

[quote user="Pop it Ahmad"]ANYTHING can happen.

Go to the NFC Championship game. DeOssie who I love, snaps the ball low, but luckily Weatherford handles it well and Tynes kicks us into the Super Bowl. Who's to say there's no low snap this time around?

Like someone wrote above, you trust in your defense. To be honest, I'm still kind of pissed our last TD was all out of wack. You didn't get the typical go-head clutch time touchdown call from the play-by-play, and then the sitting down...just kinda takes away the lore a little bit.
                          [/quote]

Our defense makes that stop 90% of the time. Our kicker makes that FG 97% of the time. /thread

Comment

just look at the snap in the SF game in OT. if Weatherford doesnt make a great play that doesnt go through
                            if the pressure of the NFCCG causes a low snap imagine the pressure in the SB

Comment

[quote user="pica01"]OK,Bradshaw kneels at the 1.Touched at,say,55 seconds.Pat's take last TO.3rd down,Eli moves to the middle and takes a knee at the 2.40 second clock starts at,ay, 50 seconds.clock running.Giants call last TO at 11.By rule,FG takes at least 4 seconds.FG inside 4 seconds ends game,for instance.So,within a second or so the Giants,at worst,kick off with 7 seconds left.So let's get the time issue out of the way discussing this.The 20 yard FG,for all intents and purposes,ends the game.If somebody brings up Cal-Stanford I'm gonna scream.[/quote]

55 seconds is impossible. Bradshaw's running play started at 1:04. Bradshaw would be touched a lot sooner with all the defenders right around him and the play clock automatically starts counting down from 40 seconds on that. Also, Patriots would not have called a timeout until after the 3rd down play.

Also, A chip shot FG doees not take 4 seconds lol.... Show me a FG starting from 1 yard line in an NFL game where it takes 4 seconds off the clock. By rule, clock stops after the ball clears the goal post and hits the net. Tynes 31- yard game-wining FG against San Fran (which is much farther) just barely took 4 seconds off the clock.

of course you can imaginarily stretch it to the end of the game.

I have a even better solution to this argument.

As Bradshaw is trying to get down on one knee with his broken foot, a Patriot defender easily comes from behind and knocks him into the endzone...

Question solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X