Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAVID BAAS WILL NOT BE A CAP CASUALTY OF THE GIANTS

DAVID BAAS WILL NOT BE A CAP CASUALTY OF THE GIANTS

"With all the talk about the New York Giants and their alleged cap problems, there's
    been much speculation about who's going to get the ax to shave off some
    "unnecessary" salary. A name frequently seen near the top of that list in center
    David
    Baas
    , who signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Giants only a year
    ago.

New York Giants center David
    Baas
    picks himself up off the turf after a second quarter play against the
    San Francisco 49ers during the NFL NFC Championship game in San Francisco, California,
    January 22, 2012. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

Common sense aside, some feel Baas' $3 million base salary for 2012 makes him
    a legitimate candidate to be released.

"Here is the deal: the New York Giants are $9 million OVER the cap right now.
    They need to get under it by March 13th, when free agency begins. This is why
    Jacobs is most likely as good as gone with a few other players as well, possibly
    Canty, Baas, maybe others," wrote another Giants site.

To clarify, the Giants are actually only $1.67 million over the projected 2012 salary cap right now,
    and that does not include a potential $1.07 rollover from a year ago (this still
    need to be clarified and confirmed) and the three $1.5 million salary cap
    exceptions the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) will allow for

Getting back to Baas however, cutting him in 2012 would accelerate the remaining $6.8 million of his bonus to this
    year, ultimately costing the Giants $6 million against the cap. In other words,
    $3 million more than his $3 million base salary ($2 million of which is
    guaranteed).

Baas' full contract numbers:

SIGNING BONUS: $8.5 million

BASE SALARIES

2011: $1m (guaranteed)
    2012: $3m ($2m guaranteed)
    2013: $4.25m
    2014:
    $4.75m
    2015: $5m

WORKOUT BONUSES: $250,000 each year from 2012-15

Quick math shows that works out to these salary-cap numbers:

2011: $2.7m
    2012: $4.95m
    2013: $6.2m
    2014: $6.7m
    2015: $6.95m

So, there you have it. Cross Baas off the list of potential cap casualties.
    You can probably cross Chris Canty off of that list as well. The cap situation
    isn't nearly as bad as it's being made to seem.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: DAVID BAAS WILL NOT BE A CAP CASUALTY OF THE GIANTS

it should also be pointed out, to credit Reese - that this would of left us at about 9 mil under waht the cap was expected to be a few years ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]it should also be pointed out, to credit Reese - that this would of left us at about 9 mil under waht the cap was expected to be a few years ago.
      [/quote]

I hope most of us have gotten to the point where we trust Reese to do what they pay him to do and do it well
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. smfh this is why i don't get into the MM is going to ask for this/ Osi wants this type of money / we can't afford this arguments anymore cause its like two blind people trying to cross a road no seeing eye dog or kane

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
        @Katdaddyjay 17h
        @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
        http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

[quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. smfh this is why i don't get into the MM is going to ask for this/ Osi wants this type of money / we can't afford this arguments anymore cause its like two blind people trying to cross a road no seeing eye dog or kane[/quote]

The numbers are also coming from ill informed media outlets. There are variables that impact on the total CAP figures including a possible carryover from, I think, two season ago when there was no cap and an exemption for teams far above the CAP.

What matters is that Jerry Reese knows what the actual numbers are.

It's fine to discuss these issues as long as we know we don't know what we're talking about a lot of the time.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. smfh this is why i don't get into the MM is going to ask for this/ Osi wants this type of money / we can't afford this arguments anymore cause its like two blind people trying to cross a road no seeing eye dog or kane[/quote]

The numbers are also coming from ill informed media outlets. There are variables that impact on the total CAP figures including a possible carryover from, I think, two season ago when there was no cap and an exemption for teams far above the CAP.

It's fine to discuss these issues as long as we know we don't know what we're talking about a lot of the time.

[/quote]

exactly this changes alot of things MM, Osi, who we look at in FA. people still need to restructure if possible, but its not as doom and gloom as 9-16 mil over.

personally i wouldn't mind taking whatever hit in dead money from dropping baas. maybe im putting my foot i my mouth, maybe i'll have to do another confessional thread like i did for gilbride this year, i hope so lol but i just don't see baas a a full time Starting center in our division maybe guard but not center.

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Comment

[quote user="rainierjef"]

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. smfh this is why i don't get into the MM is going to ask for this/ Osi wants this type of money / we can't afford this arguments anymore cause its like two blind people trying to cross a road no seeing eye dog or kane[/quote]

[/quote]

exactly this changes alot of things MM, Osi, who we look at in FA. people still need to restructure if possible, but its not as doom and gloom as 9-16 mil over.

personally i wouldn't mind taking whatever hit in dead money from dropping baas. maybe im putting my foot i my mouth, maybe i'll have to do another confessional thread like i did for gilbride this year, i hope so lol but i just don't see baas a a full time Starting center in our division maybe guard but not center.

[/quote]

The problem, as I understand it, with dropping Baas is we still have an $6M obligation that would count against the CAP this year. There are some scenarios that make restructuring some contracts unadvised. Reese deserves whatever they pay him to keep all of this in check (no pun intended).

Comment

[quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. [/quote]

Or the sunsentinel is wrong and it is closer to 9 million over.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. [/quote] Or the sunsentinel is wrong and it is closer to 9 million over.[/quote]

who's the sunsentinel ? and are you saying it is! actually 9 mil over. dammit this is confusing me this article is saying were only 1 mil over whats the right number lol?

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. [/quote] Or the sunsentinel is wrong and it is closer to 9 million over.[/quote]

who's the sunsentinel ? and are you saying it is! actually 9 mil over. dammit this is confusing me this article is saying were only 1 mil over whats the right number lol?

[/quote]

Thats the reference the posted article used for its cap info.

Meanwhile Schefter posted on twitter a couple days ago that the giants were 9 mil over.

Comment

[quote user="rainierjef"]I Would like to point out this is just proof that we arm chair GM's know nothing, everyone thinking were 9-16 mil over the cap. smfh this is why i don't get into the MM is going to ask for this*/ Osi wants this type of money / we can't afford this arguments anymore cause its like two blind people trying to cross a road no seeing eye dog or kane[/quote]

QFT.

I'd like to add to that by saying that despite Baas's less than stellar (or downright awful) performance in 2012. It is VERY hard to judge a player when they are injured. Canty and Boley both looked like FA busts back in 2009 when they were riddled with injuries. This year they both had above average years and are a positive veteran presence in the locker room.

Point is, David Baas deserves another year to prove himself and he will get that opportunity.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"]it should also be pointed out, to credit Reese - that this would of left us at about 9 mil under waht the cap was expected to be a few years ago.
                        [/quote]

I hope most of us have gotten to the point where we trust Reese to do what they pay him to do and do it well
                        [/quote]

+1,000,000......my mouth is shut regarding any offseason moves......regardless of how outrageous they may seem.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="rainierjef"]

[/quote]

Thats the reference the posted article used for its cap info.

Meanwhile Schefter posted on twitter a couple days ago that the giants were 9 mil over.[/quote]

There are numbers all over the place. I'm guessing somewhere between $1M - $100M over at the moment []

Comment

lol 100 mil

was baas injured all year? cause i remember our running game sucking from day one, i dont remember the extent of whatever injuries he accured and when he did.

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Comment

lol 100 mil

was baas injured all year? cause i remember our running game sucking from day one, i dont remember the extent of whatever injuries he accured and when he did.

[/quote]

Baas missed some games and Boothe took over at center and did a good job in relief although his big butt gets in the way on the exchange. It was very noticeable in the shot gun. I think Boothe is a better run blocker but, in fairness to Baas, the Oline needs to work together more than any other unit on the team. We've not had that lately.

If we can improve the Oline and get the running game back on track we could easily be a contender again next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X