Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANTS' MARIO MANNINGHAM TO HIT FREE-AGENT MARKET, REPORTS SAY

GIANTS' MARIO MANNINGHAM TO HIT FREE-AGENT MARKET, REPORT SAYS

"When folks have asked me whether Mario Manningham will be back with the Giants, my educated guess on the matter has
    been that he's a goner.

The 38-yard toe-tapping catch in the Super Bowl was a money maker for him, no
    doubt, and there would surely be a team out there ready to pay him what the
    Giants aren't willing and/or able to pay. They're over the salary cap and have
    two other wide receivers higher on the depth chart who will soon require sizable
    contract extensions.

Plus, as Manningham showed when he ran the wrong route on the next play after
    the big catch in the Super Bowl, he still makes the occasional mental mistake.
    As I said in my
    Super Bowl XLVI game review
    , the sideline catch is why he'll get paid but
    the next play is why it won't be by the Giants.

Well, ProFootballTalk.com is reporting this morning Manningham
    will hit the free-agent market
    , as expected. PFT says there's been no
    progress on talks over the past few weeks.

Is that an example of posturing? Nah. And the fact it's already at this
    point, 18 days before the start of free agency, tells you Manningham's prospects
    of being a Giant next year."

GIANTS, MARIO MANNINGHAM MAKING NO PROGRESS ON NEW CONTRACT

"The grass is not always greener on the other side. Just ask Plaxico Burress,
    Steve Smith, Barry Cofield and Kevin Boss. All four players left or opted not to
    sign with the New York
    Giants
    last year, and all four missed out on the opportunity to win a Super
    Bowl ring. Now wide receiver Mario
    Manningham
    is facing a similar choice: sign or go elsewhere.

Detroit Lions Jonathan Wade plays defense on New York
    Giants
    Mario
    Manningham
    who catches a 33 yard touchdown in the second quarter at New
    Meadowlands Stadium in week 6 of the NFL in East Rutherford, New Jersey on October 17, 2010.
    UPI /John Angelillo

Pro Football
    Talk is reporting that the Giants and Manningham are not making any positive
    progress in their contract talks and that the wide receiver is ready to enter
    free agency.

"Per league source, receiver Mario
    Manningham
    has made no progress on new deal with the Giants and will enter
    free agency," PFT tweeted.

This doesn't come as a huge surprise since Manningham is likely seeking a
    much larger deal than the Giants are willing to give, but to see that absolutely
    no progress has been made is unfortunate nonetheless.

With a very stacked list of free agent or potential free agent wide
    receivers, Super Mario and agent Drew
    Rosenhaus
    may not receive the offer they're both hoping for. Much like the
    case with running back Ahmad Bradshaw a year ago, multiple free agent options
    will likely drive down the price for Mario and he'll ultimately be forced to
    settle for less than he and Rosenhaus value him at.

Will that spell a last second return to Big Blue? Time will tell."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' MARIO MANNINGHAM TO HIT FREE-AGENT MARKET, REPORTS SAY

Where do you think hes rated on the free agency list WR HERE

Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Comment

[quote user="ibbill"]Where do you think hes rated on the free agency list WR HERE

[/quote]

The only two on the main list that I'd take MM over is Steve Johnson and Robert Meachum.

All of the others are an upgrade over MM (even including age).
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

$7M / year?

He isnt getting that anywhere. Not even teams like SF or Jax who have no WRs and plenty of $$$.

Manham will get overpaid, but he is still a solid WR.

Look for more Jernigan/Barden next year. Maybe a draft pick on a WR.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ibbill"]Where do you think hes rated on the free agency list WR HERE

[/quote]

The only two on the main list that I'd take MM over is Steve Johnson and Robert Meachum.

All of the others are an upgrade over MM (even including age).[/quote]
          I'd remove Jackson, Colston, Welker, Wallace and Bowe from that list since they'll probably be staying put. If that does happen, Manningham becomes a top 5 free agent wide out.

Comment

Not a huge surprise at all the he wants to go to free agency.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' MARIO MANNINGHAM TO HIT FREE-AGENT MARKET, REPORT SAYS

"When folks have asked me whether Mario Manningham will be back with the Giants, my educated guess on the matter has
              been that he's a goner.

two other wide receivers higher on the depth chart who will soon require sizable
              contract extensions.

As I said in my

point, 18 days before the start of free agency, tells you Manningham's prospects

Steve Smith, Barry Cofield and Kevin Boss. All four players left or opted not to
              sign with the New York
              Giants
              Manningham

Giants
              Mario
              Manningham
              Meadowlands Stadium in week 6 of the NFL in East Rutherford, New Jersey on October 17, 2010.
              UPI /John Angelillo

Pro Football
              free agency.

Manningham

much larger deal than the Giants are willing to give, but to see that absolutely

Rosenhaus

[/quote]

Thanks for the read ! I'm happy for him and glad to see all his hard work all thru out his contract paying off for him and his family. He will always have a special place in Giants history and like the saying goes, " Once a Giant, always a Giant " .
              " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Kid will be a Giant for life in my eyes. This kid should look toward getting as much money as possible before he retires.

Comment

He's going to need a good QB and hope some team doesn't sign him to a fortune. That would mean it would cost more for Cruz and Nicks in time.

Comment

we are stacked at wr. best of luck to him, he got his ring now go get the $$$

Comment

[quote user="Harooni"]we are stacked at wr. best of luck to him, he got his ring now go get the $$$
                      [/quote]

exactly. cofield, boss, smith and plax already had a ring. as nice as it is to get more, not many can say they even had one - and each was a valued contributor in XLII. Now go take care of your family as best as possible in this brutal career.

Comment

[quote user="Harooni"]we are stacked at wr. best of luck to him, he got his ring now go get the $$$
                        [/quote]

Harooni Q what do you think he can get on the open market?

I feel he may be worth about max 2 mil a year.
                        Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Comment

I think he will be a Bengal.
                          sigpic

Comment

The man has won his ring. Now it is time for him to secure the financial well being for him and his family.

Comment

[quote user="G-Men Surg."][quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' MARIO MANNINGHAM TO HIT FREE-AGENT MARKET, REPORT SAYS

been that he's a goner.

contract extensions.

As I said in my

sign with the New York
                              Giants
                              Manningham

Giants
                              Mario
                              Manningham
                              UPI /John Angelillo

Pro Football
                              free agency.

Manningham

Rosenhaus

[/quote]

Thanks for the read ! I'm happy for him and glad to see all his hard work all thru out his contract paying off for him and his family. He will always have a special place in Giants history and like the saying goes, " Once a Giant, always a Giant " .[/quote]

There is so much that goes into these decisions that we never hear about. I am sure Mario will get a decent contract somewhere and I'm very grateful that we have Nicks and Cruz to absorb the loss. I also hope we have our # 3 already on the roster.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
                              X