Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
    Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
    Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
    #2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
    #3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary

Re: Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

I would take him here. They have always talked about his potential. Hopefully a change of scenery would bring out the best in him. Plus he should come pretty cheap by todays standards.

Comment

If he can stop being an idiot and improve his work ethic, he might be a top 5 TE. His run blocking has been solid, his hands a little inconsistent, but being a top guy with a lot of targets can change that.
      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Well if he wants playing time the Giants would be a good place for him. With Ballard hurt whoever steps in here will be the guy. if he is willing to take less money to get a starting role and play with a great team he could get his chance. Something tells me he will chose more money though. He is an outstanding run blocker he would fit the Giants well

Comment

[quote user="hungrrrry"]I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
          Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
          Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
          #2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
          #3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary[/quote]

Cons:

1) Not consistant

2) Poor work ethic.

3) Wants to be "the guy" and we don't run that kind of system for TEs.

Pros:

1) Awesome upside if potential is realized and the Giants feel they can get more out of him and keep him happy.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Isn't he an RFA though? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...if not however I think it'd be a great signing. He definitely has solid upside and would fit our system well. He does not have the stats to demand big money as he has not scored a TD since his rookie year, so he'd almost definitely come cheap. Especially if given an opportunity to start. We arguably have the biggest need for a TE in the league, so it'd also be a good situation for him to walk into. I say let's bring him in for a visit! Then we can truly go BPA at 32

Comment

well this is the kinda player we could justify ... he's stuck behind Witten, but he may be ready to be a #1 TE, so it would make sense ... i think that other TE deal we are hearing about won't cost us much money

Comment

Giants have better leadership & structure. Maybe he can prosper here...

Comment

[quote user="BornBrooklyn"]Giants have better leadership & structure. Maybe he can prosper here...[/quote]I tend to agree...with Coughlin, I believe he inspires and encourages a good work ethic and since Coughlin's policy is just that and it is instilled in all these players, it would make for a positive environment for Bennett to work out his ills...if he truely has any!

I'd like to see this move made, especially with Ballard signed for another year. Bennett could see some great production and be encouraged to have a break out season...when Ballard comes back, he could assume more of the blocking duties as Bennett transform more into a blocking/pass-catching TE

Comment

I like it. If JR can work the $$ part of it into the system, he gives us alot of what we need to find in the off season.
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

bringing in Bennet would be a big plus in that it would solve the problem at TE and it would also change the draft for us and allow us to go after different needs...

Comment

Cons-
                        1) He was projected by Cowboys to be their one-two punch at TE, with Whitten. Never happened in 4 years with the team

2) In 2011, another TE took his place on the TE depth chart. Why?

3) His best season was his rookie year, 2008. He did have 4 TDs, but that was the last year he scored ANY TDs. He also had a total of only 20 receptions, and that was his 2nd best year in receptions. 20.

4) Career total of 85 catches, 846 yards, 4 TDs. In 4 years.

5) Ballard has 604 yards in only 38 receptions, and 4 TDs in his first and only season. Plus, his per catch ave is over 15 yds, as opposed to Bennet's 10 yds.

(I know Ballard will be unavailable for at least the first 6 games, if not more, next year; my point is that Ballard, a practice squad player 1 year ago, has in just 1 season, performed vastly superior to Bennet, who was a fairly highly touted draft pick for the Cowboys 4 years ago. WHY would we ever consider taking Bennet as a FA, unless he were very cheap? And if he were willing to come cheap, why would he go out on the FA market in the first place?).

6) Bennet has publicly stated his goal in FA is to land with a team where he can be the starting TE right out the gate, and get approx 60 catches for the season. Undrstandable, and reasonable goal for a TE entering the market place.

But that hasn't happened for a TE here since 2007, with Shockey. Is anyone here claiming Bennet--after 4 years of mundane back-up performance with Dallas who utilizes the TE far more than the Giants have in years--is the next Shockey of 2002?

And if he's not at young Shockey level of talent, why should he--or the Giants--expect he will play at that level with us, for the first time in his career (in his 5th year in the league, at that)?

Giants will not be suitable for Bennet, not to mention vice versa.

Pros--
                        1) ??????

2) If he agrees to less than $1 million per year, only. Maybe.

Comment

I'd entertain looking at him before either clark or tamme! He's a 270 pounder who blocks well enough to set the edge, keep eli safe if needed and catches the ball most of the time. The rest of the comparisons aside, since ballard is going to be unavailable for a while next season , we need to find this kind of a TE to add a good TE to the team until Jake gets back, then they can duke it out!

Comment

I'd like him to be a Giant. I dropped his name on here a month ago and got a "hell no" haha

Comment

What's the point of signing him? If we sign him, that means the end of Ballard and FA's cost a lot of money and hurt the cap.

I just don't get the obsession with the TE. Pascoe's not bad and a less expensive option can hold down the position until Ballard gets back.

Spend the money on the o-line. That's where the real concern is. If it's not good, then the run game will continue to suffer and the passing game won't be as good either.

Comment

Working...
                              X