Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL.COM-Manning/Rivers trade greatest draft trade of all time

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...in-nfl-history

it has us as the #1 draft trade of all time. I think its safe to say we made out like bandits with that trade...

how sweet is it that a few years ago, many thought SD took us, now its accepted widely that we took them for a ride with that trade...big props for EA...you know he took heat for that trade, and wasn't even the GM when we won our first SB...it was awesome for the Giants to still give him a ring, it was his roster after all...

Re: NFL.COM-Manning/Rivers trade greatest draft trade of all time

Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would. Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB. So Ernie got that one right. He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship. Good for him.

Comment

[quote user="giantsfan420"]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8079f3cf/article/top-10-draft-trades-in-nfl-history it has us as the #1 draft trade of all time. I think its safe to say we made out like bandits with that trade... how sweet is it that a few years ago, many thought SD took us, now its accepted widely that we took them for a ride with that trade...big props for EA...you know he took heat for that trade, and wasn't even the GM when we won our first SB...it was awesome for the Giants to still give him a ring, it was his roster after all...[/quote]

EA had a good feeling about Eli as we all know. He made an informed choice and gambled on it. It paid off.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

[quote user="foosball"]Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would.* Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB.* So Ernie got that one right.* He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship.* Good for him.*
        [/quote]

no it is recent. the one from a year ago has this trade at #8...being #1 leads me to believe it was done recently...

edit- it was last updated

Updated: May 10, 2011 at 08:09 p.m.

so before this SB win... maybe they'll update it again but cant think of a reaon too

Comment

NAH, couldn't b

Comment

[quote user="foosball"]Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would. Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB. So Ernie got that one right. He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship. Good for him.
            [/quote]

NAH, couldn't b

Comment

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="foosball"]Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would. Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB. So Ernie got that one right. He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship. Good for him.
              [/quote]

no it is recent. the one from a year ago has this trade at #8...being #1 leads me to believe it was done recently...

edit- it was last updated

Updated: May 10, 2011 at 08:09 p.m.

so before this SB win... maybe they'll update it again but cant think of a reaon too[/quote]

I was talking about the video. The video is dated September 2007.

Comment

Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?

Comment

[quote user="bLuereverie"]Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?[/quote]You are right. Another post where they never even read the article. We can do better than that.
                  No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Maybe the video says differently? NFL.com videos won't open for me.

Comment

I still feel the Herschel Walker trade was the biggest draft day trade of all time.

Here are the players & draft picks that were involved.

Minnesota Vikings received

• RB Herschel Walker

• Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

• San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

• Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

• Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)
                      • [/list]

Dallas Cowboys received

• LB Jesse Solomon

• LB David Howard

• CB Issiac Holt

• RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

• DE Alex Stewart

• Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

• Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

• Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

• Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)

• Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)

• Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

• Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

• Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)
                        • [/list]

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

Only time will where the Redskins trade will wind up. For RG3 they gave up 3 1st round picks and a 2nd.

Comment

[quote user="ny06"]

I still feel the Herschel Walker trade was the biggest draft day trade of all time.

[*]RB Herschel Walker[*]Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)[*]San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)[*]Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)[*]Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)[/list]

Dallas Cowboys received

[*]LB Jesse Solomon[*]LB David Howard[*]CB Issiac Holt[*]RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)[*]DE Alex Stewart[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)[*]Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)[*]Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[/list][/quote]

I have to agree with this trade as the biggest trade ever... but then again, we are talking about trading rookies + picks. Walker was supposed to be a super-star, and turned out to be an overrated, although not a bad, running back.

Jimmy Johnson stole from the Vikings, and the Vikings took the bait. The Eli-Rivers trade was about two top prospects, making it a fair trade.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="bLuereverie"]Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?[/quote]You are right. Another post where they never even read the article. We can do better than that.[/quote]

lo i noticed it too. It should be number 1 though

Comment

[quote user="ny06"]

[*]RB Herschel Walker[*]Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)[*]San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)[*]Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)[*]Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)[/list]

Dallas Cowboys received

[*]LB Jesse Solomon[*]LB David Howard[*]CB Issiac Holt[*]RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)[*]DE Alex Stewart[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)[*]Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)[*]Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)[*]Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)[*]Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[/list][/quote]
                                  I agree. It was certainly the most impactful trade ever. It essentially won them 4 Superbowls.

Although I would argue the Vikings fans might not consider it the greatest trade.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X