• Show
Clear All

• GIANTS' NOT EXPECTED TO RE-SIGN DAVE TOLLEFSON

GIANTS' NOT EXPECTED TO RE-SIGN DAVE TOLLEFSON

"Dave Tollefson is not expected to re-sign with the Giants, according to
    someone with knowledge of discussions between the defensive end and the
    organization.

Tollefson, an unrestricted free agent, has spent the last five seasons with
    the team and is coming off his most productive season in which he was the fourth
    member of the Giants' vaunted defensive end rotation. He registered a
    career-high five sacks, didn't miss a game for the first time in his career, and
    started his first two career games while showing versatility by moving inside on
    passing downs.

SI's
    Peter King ranked Tollefson as the No. 41
    on his list of top free agents and
    noted teams will seek his versatility.

Tollefson signed a one-year, minimum contract so he had to wait until free
    agency opened tomorrow at 4 p.m. to sign any deal he and the Giants came up with
    due to league rules, but it appears as though the two sides will split."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' NOT EXPECTED TO RE-SIGN DAVE TOLLEFSON

This one is confusing if accurate. I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

dont like to hear that i love tolly
      sigpic
      FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

Probably wants more money than he's worth. Simple as that I'd assume. Good luck wherever he plays.

Comment

Free up more cash?

(sigh) I kinda like Tolly and his action-hero karate kick

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

If I had to guess he probably just wants more playing time. He can get that through FA...especially when teams are going to offer him more than the Giants will to be a backup.

I want him back but if he goes...then I wish him well.
            "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]This one is confusing if accurate. I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.
              [/quote]

I don't think it's all that confusing. Tolly is a good player, but he's still our 4th DE in the rotation and although he plays a good number of snaps, you can't pay someone at the bottom of your depth chart more than minimum contracts and he likely, and understandably, wants more than that.

Unfortunately some team is likely going to sign him to a starters contract and they'll probably be a little disappointed. While Tolly is a great rotational guy, he simply doesn't have the physicaly skills to be a full time starter.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Honestly, I think we'll miss him more than Jacobs or Manningham. DE's get hurt an awful lot, and he's been very consistent. Hope he gets his payday. . .he earned it.

Comment

I hope someone signs him to a good contract and he becomes a productive starter. He has been a quality cheap reserve with the Giants for 5 seasons.

Go get paid Tolly.

Comment

[quote user="TheEnigma"]Probably wants more money than he's worth. Simple as that I'd assume. Good luck wherever he plays.[/quote]

Or maybe he wants more than what he wasn't worth, which was the league minimum last season.

I was surprised Tolly signed last season, he's a good role player who will get plenty more snaps anywhere else.

Gotta love the guy's motor, I wish him nothing but the best.

Comment

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]This one is confusing if accurate. I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.
                      [/quote]

I don't think it's all that confusing. Tolly is a good player, but he's still our 4th DE in the rotation and although he plays a good number of snaps, you can't pay someone at the bottom of your depth chart more than minimum contracts and he likely, and understandably, wants more than that.

Unfortunately some team is likely going to sign him to a starters contract and they'll probably be a little disappointed. While Tolly is a great rotational guy, he simply doesn't have the physicaly skills to be a full time starter.

[/quote]

His role in the rotation is what worries me. He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere. If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him. I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

His role in the rotation is what worries me. He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere. If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him. I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.
                        [/quote]

if it is a money deal I wonder what he wanted compared to what he was offered. You would think they would offer him a bit mor than the minimum. They are strapped but he is worth a bot more than the min.

Good luck to him. I will keep tabs on his play.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]His role in the rotation is what worries me.* He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere.* If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him.* I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.
                          [/quote]

good points. If the DLine also loses Osi, I may actually start worrying.

I know everyone has inked JPP as Umenyiora's obvious replacement but I like the variety that we have or had.

(and yes I remember that Marv Austin is waiting in the wings but thoughts of Sintim still haunt me)

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

[quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="TheEnigma"]Probably wants more money than he's worth. Simple as that I'd assume. Good luck wherever he plays.[/quote]

Or maybe he wants more than what he wasn't worth, which was the league minimum last season.

I was surprised Tolly signed last season, he's a good role player who will get plenty more snaps anywhere else.

Gotta love the guy's motor, I wish him nothing but the best.[/quote]It's a case of not tying too much money into a guy that far down the depth charts. Yes, he's better than his position on the chart but we have more pressing matters to invest our money in. I just hope he gets a decent deal elsewhere.

Comment

well not to oversimplify it, but he is 4th on our depth chart and he is not going to surpass JPP, Tuck or Osi

but, on another team he could be 2nd or 3rd ... meaning more playing time and more money for him

be sad to see him go, but it also opens the door for younger DEs with more upside to make the team

Comment

Working...
                              X