Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the last player the giants lost in FA or released that they missed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the last player the giants lost in FA or released that they missed?

Or who went on to be a great player somewhere else?

Cofield played alright I guess, Linval played very well, wasent missed much.

Steve Smith went to the eagles and did nothing, giants found a better slot guy in Cruz

Boss made the move to oakland, didnt play well, got released. Giants found Ballard who was probably as good as Boss.

Seubert/O'Hara, dont think either of them played last season.

All those late round picks theyve cut/released, QBs, DBs, whoever. Any of them ever amount to anything?

Going back further, how about Gibril Wilson? played well for oakland his first year then got cut because he had a massive contract.

Kawika Mitchell, he played really well for the bills for like two seasons, now i dont think he is in the league any more.

Toomer after he got cut went to KC and did pretty much nothing, then realized it was time to retire.

Luke Petitgout, i think he signed with the Bucs but never really played, out of the league now.

I cant think of the last guy who really played well and has had some good seasons after playing for the giants,

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005.

Re: Who was the last player the giants lost in FA or released that they missed?

I don't think you could argue Cameron Wake, he was not fully developed yet, and didn't he go to the CFL because after we cut him no NFL team would sign him?

You can add Ward to that list, he went to Tampa and did nothing.

Comment

[quote user="TheAngryTuna"]I don't think you could argue Cameron Wake, he was not fully developed yet, and didn't he go to the CFL because after we cut him no NFL team would sign him?.[/quote]

Yep. And the giants only tried him out as a LB, it wasent until he went to the CFL that they let him get after Qbs, then realized he was a good player.

Good call on Ward.

Comment

You can argue Jeff Hostetler. When he went to Oakland we had Dave Brown, Kent Graham, Dannel Kannel, Tomzak, oh lawd the list can go on and on....

Also Joe Jereviscious and Ed McCaffery went on to have nice careers. Lendeta punted for, what seems like another 10 years, as did Dave Jennings.

Kurt Warner did well, but Eli did better in the long run.

Can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that just dominated and made us regret not signing him.

I'll edit if I think of more.

Scoops

Comment

And even in Wake's case, he was an UDFA that just caught up in the numbers game here. Wasn't he also out of the NFL and played in the CFL for a season or two after we cut him?

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"]Or who went on to be a great player somewhere else?

Steve Smith went to the eagles and did nothing, giants found a better slot guy in Cruz

Boss made the move to oakland, didnt play well, got released. Giants found Ballard who was probably as good as Boss.

All those late round picks theyve cut/released, QBs, DBs, whoever. Any of them ever amount to anything?

Going back further, how about Gibril Wilson? played well for oakland his first year then got cut because he had a massive contract.

Kawika Mitchell, he played really well for the bills for like two seasons, now i dont think he is in the league any more.

Toomer after he got cut went to KC and did pretty much nothing, then realized it was time to retire.

Luke Petitgout, i think he signed with the Bucs but never really played, out of the league now.

I cant think of the last guy who really played well and has had some good seasons after playing for the giants,

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005.[/quote] I dont see Manningham falling off like these guys . I could see Ross getting cut next season

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"] I dont see Manningham falling off like these guys . I could see Ross getting cut next season[/quote]

I think manningham could have a nice career in san fran. But is he that good that the giants wont be able to replace him? Im not so sure. I mean he finished this season with what, 500 yards and 4 TDs?

Comment

[quote user="scoopscj"]You can argue Jeff Hostetler. When he went to Oakland we had Dave Brown, Kent Graham, Dannel Kannel, Tomzak, oh lawd the list can go on and on....

Also Joe Jereviscious and Ed McCaffery went on to have nice careers. Lendeta punted for, what seems like another 10 years, as did Dave Jennings.

Kurt Warner did well, but Eli did better in the long run.

Can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that just dominated and made us regret not signing him.

I'll edit if I think of more.

Scoops

[/quote]

I'm not sure Warner really belongs on this list, as he was a FA acquisition whose sole purpose was to hold the fort until the coaches wanted to put in Eli.

Ohhh... Brad Maynard.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"]Or who went on to be a great player somewhere else?

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005.[/quote]

Joe Jurevicius (sp)
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]
                    Joe Jurevicius (sp)
                    [/quote]

2001 tho? Thats the last guy anyone can think of that the giants really missed when he left? 10 years ago.

Comment

Ryan Grant, perhaps? Not a world beater by any stretch, though.

Comment

Matt Stover - Drafted and on IR for the 1990 SB. Retired as a legit HOF kicker for the Ravens.

Oh, and spelling Nazi Ronoakefan! GAHHHH! (all smiles)

Scoops

Comment

Most of these guys are from a while ago and some UDFA's and no one blew up elsewhere.

Ryan clark (udfa) played nicely at safety for wash and pitt
                          Olindo mare (udfa) nice career with miami
                          will allen (1st rounder) actually had some nice years in miami
                          robbins (fa) had some nice years for rams
                          Charlie peprah (6th rounder?) starts at S for green bay and has had some nice years but best highlight may be him popping off of hakeem nicks and then nicks gliding into the end zone 50+ yards later.
                          James butler and Craig dahl (udfa's) played a little safety in st louis - did little
                          gibril (5th rounder) - got paid - did little
                          will peterson (3rd rounder) cup of coffee around league - including eagles.
                          Matt bryant - bounced around - had some nice years as kicker
                          Jeremy Shockey (1st rounder) - never the world beater we thought he would be - but did win an sb in new orleans - but man that mouth never stopped running

none of these guys are big losses - clark has been around so long and has played nicely. I wouldn't mind having him - then again he's also had his share of injuries

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]
                            Joe Jurevicius (sp)
                            [/quote]

2001 tho? Thats the last guy anyone can think of that the giants really missed when he left? 10 years ago.[/quote]

I'm old and my memory is getting so bad I could hide my own Easter eggs! [8-)]
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Ryan Grant -- was missed. At least for a couple of seasons. He has really fallen off since though.
                              Plaxico -- had a decent year but only some of us miss him.
                              Those are the most recent I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X