Clear All

• GIANTS' GM JERRY REESE HAS A HISTORY OF BELIEVING IN HIS DRAFT PICKS

GIANTS' GM JERRY REESE HAS A HISTORY OF BELIEVING IN HIS DRAFT PICKS

"Jerry
    Reese
    delivered two world championships to the New York
    Giants
    in his first five years as general manager through a series of bold
    personnel moves that demonstrate a confidence in his players and himself.

While many wouldnít characterize Reeseís sit and wait free agency approach as
    bold, itís hard to say that it didnít take some mettle to sit quietly while
    other teams in the division, notably the Philadelphia Eagles, were picking up
    top-rated free agents left and right. So before fans start getting nervous over
    seeing the Eagles trade for linebacker DeMeco Ryans , the Dallas Cowboys getting
    Brandon Carr or the Washington Redskins signing Pierre Garcon, letís take a
    detailed look at how Reese builds success.

While he had a major role with draft decisions since 2002 as the Giantsí
    Director of Pro Personnel, Reese didnít take over the reins from Ernie Accorsi
    until 2007. During that offseason, Reese gave fans a preview of the future. He
    kept talent that he had already brought to the team, re-signing Derrick Ward,
    Gibril Wilson, Chase Blackburn and Reggie Torbor; all players that would have
    important roles on a Super Bowl-winning team.

He signed three free agents to small contracts: LB Kawika Mitchell, QB
    Anthony Wright and CD Michael Stone. Also, donít forget, Reese stirred up a lot
    of controversy by cutting Luke Petitgout when there was no clear left tackle
    replacement (at the time) on the roster. Reese had the foresight and faith in
    David Diehlís prowess at multiple positions.

2008: Did the Giantsí architect make any big splashes in the offseason fresh
    off a Super Bowl win? Not unless you consider LB Danny Clark, SS Sammy Knight
    and DE Renaldo Wynn as prize possessions on the market. Donít forget David Carr
    and Shane Olivea. Derrick Ward, Dave Tollefson, Jeff Feagles, and Lawrence Tynes
    were all re-signed. This doesnít sound like the makings of a team that would
    earn the number one seed in the NFC.

Reese departed from his usual strategy in 2009, signing Michael Boley, Chris
    Canty and Rocky Bernard to big contracts. In 2010, the Giants shelled out big
    bucks for Antrel Rolle as well. Besides these four, who all contributed heavily
    to another championship masterpiece, Reese made (at the time) under-the-radar
    moves like signing Deon Grant (2010) and Steve Weatherford (2011), re-signing
    Kevin Boothe (2010) and signing Tony Ugoh (2011) off the street and Chase
    Blackburn off his couch (2011).

Players that left the Giants for bigger (some monster) contracts over the
    five years: Visanthe Shiancoe (2007), Kawika Mitchell (2008), Gibril Wilson
    (2008), Derrick Ward (2009), James Butler (2009), Fred Robbins (2010), Steve
    Smith (2011), Kevin Boss (2011) and Barry Cofield (2011).

So far in 2012, we can add Mario Manningham and Aaron Ross to the list of
    players that Reese either couldnít, or decided not to, re-sign. However, for
    nearly every player that left a looming hole on the roster, Reese was able to
    pluck young talent to fill, and improve, the vacant position.

Kevin Boss for Shiancoe/Shockey. Jake Ballard for Boss. Ahmad Bradshaw for
    Ward. Victor Cruz for Smith, etc. Reese has been able to take an anti-Redskins
    approach by building through the NFL Draft, using free agency to tweak a position here and
    there and instead focus on building talent from within. While this is not news
    to anyone, it is interesting to look back at the key decisions that the Giantsí
    GM has made over the last five years that has shaped two championship teams.

Now in his sixth offseason as the Giants GM, Reese has done more of the same.
    Sitting back, letting other teams grab the headlines in March as the Giants wait
    to add the missing pieces in April. Keep this in mind the next time you get
    antsy while the Giants appear ďstagnantĒ compared to the rest of the division.
    When you draft like Jerry
    Reese
    , you donít need to spend like Dan Snyder."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' GM JERRY REESE HAS A HISTORY OF BELIEVING IN HIS DRAFT PICKS

Good read. Reese's biggest asset may be his patience. No panic

Comment

[quote user="Breezely"]Good read. Reese's biggest asset may be his patience. No panic[/quote]

It's a virtue!
      ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="Breezely"]Good read. Reese's biggest asset may be his patience. No panic[/quote]I
        Believe. All in.
        Football has been very, very good to us.
        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
        4-New York Giants!!!
        5-NE
        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

[quote user="Brian Baxter"]When you draft like Jerry
          Reese
          , you donít need to spend like Dan Snyder[/quote]
          Truth.

Comment

goddamn it! Mine too!

great article
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="Drez"]The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

Reese
              Truth.
              [/quote]

+1 It really does say it all Drez.

Comment

[quote user="Drez"]The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

Reese
                Truth.
                [/quote]

The quote is Gold. Should be placed in every war room for the upcoming NFL draft.

Comment

[quote user="gian_18778"][quote user="Drez"]The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

Reese
                  Truth.
                  [/quote]

The quote is Gold. Should be placed in every war room for the upcoming NFL draft.[/quote]

No. Then everyone will have it figured out!

All due respect to Reese and I am 100% a huge fan of his, but I believe Belicheck deserves the credit for showing this to be the only viable way to stay at a high level consistently in today's NFL.

Reese deserves credit for recognizing it and being competent in the application.

Comment

[quote user="LBB"][quote user="gian_18778"][quote user="Drez"]The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

[quote user="Brian Baxter"]When you draft like Jerry Reese, you donít need to spend like Dan Snyder[/quote]
                    Truth.
                    [/quote] The quote is Gold. Should be placed in every war room for the upcoming NFL draft.[/quote] No. Then everyone will have it figured out! All due respect to Reese and I am 100% a huge fan of his, but I believe Belicheck deserves the credit for showing this to be the only viable way to stay at a high level consistently in today's NFL. Reese deserves credit for recognizing it and being competent in the application.[/quote]

I don't know if I could possibly disagree with you more about Bilichick, his drafts have been mostly terrible for the past five years and his championship teamsmostly relied on veterans that were signed or traded for.

There's maybe a handful of recent Pats draftees that seem to be good players.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

[quote user="LBB"][quote user="gian_18778"][quote user="Drez"]The last line of that article is going to be my new sig.

Reese
                      Truth.
                      [/quote]

The quote is Gold. Should be placed in every war room for the upcoming NFL draft.[/quote]

No. Then everyone will have it figured out!

All due respect to Reese and I am 100% a huge fan of his, but I believe Belicheck deserves the credit for showing this to be the only viable way to stay at a high level consistently in today's NFL.

Reese deserves credit for recognizing it and being competent in the application.[/quote]

Plus didn't Parcells bring in some of his more reliable veteran players like Bruschi, etc. that he won the Superbowls with? Not to say he wasn't proficient but they have struggled with their drafts over the past number of seasons, I guess you can't always be right though.

Comment

He has done a super job in filling holes.

Comment

Kevin Boothe is the prime example from last year ... we were able to replace Smith with Cruz and Cofield with Joseph and Boss with Ballard

but how would we have faired without Kevin Boothe? ... with basically no margin for error, i don't feel we win the Super Bowl without him

Comment

Reese basically couldn't resign/match the offers of Mario Manningham (2-year $7+ mil contract with the 49ers) and Aaron Ross (3-year $9.75 million with the Jags) considering the Giants' Cap situation.

This was more of a situation where the hands are dealt already and Reese is playing very well with what he has. We know he's good at filling in holes.

Comment

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]He has done a super job in filling holes.[/quote]
                              ha

Comment

Working...
                              X