Rate class of 09 draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate class of 09 draft

They say you have to wait about 3 years to see if a draft was a success or not. So lets revisit the 09 draft.

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
    Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
    Rd. 2 William Beatty
    Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
    Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
    Rd. 4 Andre Brown
    Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
    Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
    Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Looking back I don't think it was a success because we had 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders and we missed 3 out of 4. Beaty is a starter but not a world beater by any stretch. Other than Hakeem we didn't even get any value or ST play out of the rest.

To put it in perspective the Texans drafted Connor Barwin with the very next pick after Sintim.

Re: Rate class of 09 draft

Agreed, I am a major JR fan, but it is hard to say we are getting the most out of that draft. That said. Nicks!!!

Comment

This is a tough draft to stomach, but I understand it in hindsight: We had just gone 12-4 and had a pretty dominant season until Plax fell. We didn't have major holes, aside from WR, and that was addressed in the first round.

After that, we took a lot of project players: Sintim, Beatty, Barden, Beckum. Only Beatty has panned out so far, with the other three being extremely injury prone it seems.

Andre Brown seemed like a steal at a time, and he's another one who was hampered by injury.

The bottom 3 were Reese gambling, and he was wrong. Not Reese's best draft by any stretch, but Nicks has produced more than I think anyone ever expected from the kid.

It's probably a C at best, but Nicks alone makes it worthwhile.

Comment

So many injuries from this class

Comment

Eh. I'm still not ready to write off Barden or Beckum as busts.

Comment

If Beatty turns out to be our starting LT for multiple years . . . it would be hard to say that this was a "bad" draft (Pro Bowl WR and a starting LT).

We had 5 picks in the top 100 that year . . . . would have liked tosee us go 3 for 5 or even 4 for 5 on those picks though . . . . .

Comment

Imagine if nicks was gone! Only maclin or Harvin would of sufficed to salvage what otherwise is a horrible draft class

Comment

Hakeem - Could not have lived up to the expectations of a first round pick more. Been an absolute beast and a true number one.

Clint Sintim - Before injury derailed him last year he looked out of place in a 4-3 scheme. Some say he was coming on in pre-season but its hard to tell - so far he has not contributed and this may be his last chance to show something.

Will Beatty - Well he started as our left tackle last year and played nicely in his first year as a starter - should recover from retina injury and start again at tackler - guy was a project athlete and it seems like he wil pay off.

Barden - Cannot stay healthy. Another project with tantalizing size. May get a good crack at the 3 spot this year - but hasnt contributed much yet.

Travis Beckum - This was supposed to be our version of jimmy graham or A hernandez - but he just hasnt panned out. I find it interesting that the giants had this idea (not totally new at all - remember pierece) of the tight end - h back who can be a huge mismatch and this trend has taken over the nfl - not that the giants did it - but they did like the idea - beckum just hasnt been the guy and may not get a chance next year - had some flashes this year but not much.

Andre Brown - Promising player - injuries hurt - has come back to the team after stops elsewhere and may crack the lineup this year if he outplays ware or scott - has contributed very little so far.

Bomar - eh hoped he may be a backup - just a flyer - didnt work.

Wright - No contribution.

Woodson - No Contribution.

Overall a potential starter at left tackle for a while and a number one wideout - so its tough to say it was all bad. Still hold out for Barden.

Comment

[quote user="Gmenfan87"]They say you have to wait about 3 years to see if a draft was a success or not. So lets revisit the 09 draft.

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
                  Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
                  Rd. 2 William Beatty
                  Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
                  Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
                  Rd. 4 Andre Brown
                  Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
                  Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
                  Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Looking back I don't think it was a success because we had 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders and we missed 3 out of 4. Beaty is a starter but not a world beater by any stretch. Other than Hakeem we didn't even get any value or ST play out of the rest.

To put it in perspective the Texans drafted Connor Barwin with the very next pick after Sintim.[/quote]

I'll take Nicks and Beatty... and I'll even reluctantly take Beckum... the rest can go... Sintim would be on-call, just in case.

Comment

I remember a lot of people loved the draft, and for some reason I still don't get today, some thought wright and woodson were going to be steals (As marc ross admitted they were drafted purely on measurables, simply flyers)

Anyway i was hoping and praying the giants would draft nicks and not britt/dhb. Was thrilled about that. Didn't like the rest of the draft except the andre brown pick at the time

Hated beatty as a prospect. Lots of mocks had him going in the 20s of the first round so lots of people loved the pick and thought he was tremendous value. I thought he was so fineese and extremely underdeveloped (he barely looked like a slightly oversized TE) and small. Thought the value of the pick was overrated and thought he just was bad on film. I just didn't like the idea of drafting a prospect that was old and raw. Like always, things turn out well for the giants. Beatty is still fineese, lacks a mean streak, and doesnt finish blocks but is an adequate LT

Beckum, injured senior year. Was supposed to be a steal at 3rd round with "Great value" who could've gone higher if healthy

Some people loved the barden pick because of the "value" as well. he was mocked into late 1st/2nd round on many boards and obviously was popular. i liked the barden pick at the time but it looks like his knock coming into the league has come into fruition: he bullied divison II defensive backs that couldnt locate/play the ball in the air but wont translate with much success in the NFL because he doesnt get great separation

Anyway, most of this draft was overhyped. It looked completely amazing at the time because it was hyped with "value". Reese says the giants had a first round grade on sintim, so there was "great value". Beatty was routinely mocked as a first round pick, as high as 20, so it was "tremendous value". Barden was an underrated steal who could have gone as high as late 1st, so it was "great value". Andre Brown struggled with injuries but was a great playmaker at NC state and could be a steal so the pick had "great value". Bomar had character concerns and couldve been highly drafted qb because of it so thus it was a great pick for 5th round and "great value". Beckum was 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round because of senior year injury, so it was "amazing value"

Thing is, the supposed "value" of this draft class was overrated. Most of these prospects fell because they were overrated, not just because teams were stupid enough to pass on them. Hindsight is hindsight, but not one of the franchises stronger drafts overall

Comment

This draft is different then all the 1's under Reese. It was a weak defensive draft and the Giants were transitioning on offense. Think they may of panicked a little. This draft was marred by injuries .who knows what would of happened if they stayed healthy

Comment

[quote user="Neverend"]I remember a lot of people loved the draft, and for some reason I still don't get today, some thought wright and woodson were going to be steals (As marc ross admitted they were drafted purely on measurables, simply flyers) Anyway i was hoping and praying the giants would draft nicks and not britt/dhb. Was thrilled about that. Didn't like the rest of the draft except the andre brown pick at the time Hated beatty as a prospect. Lots of mocks had him going in the 20s of the first round so lots of people loved the pick and thought he was tremendous value. I thought he was so fineese and extremely underdeveloped (he barely looked like a slightly oversized TE) and small. Thought the value of the pick was overrated and thought he just was bad on film. I just didn't like the idea of drafting a prospect that was old and raw. Like always, things turn out well for the giants. Beatty is still fineese, lacks a mean streak, and doesnt finish blocks but is an adequate LT Beckum, injured senior year. Was supposed to be a steal at 3rd round with "Great value" who could've gone higher if healthy Some people loved the barden pick because of the "value" as well. he was mocked into late 1st/2nd round on many boards and obviously was popular. i liked the barden pick at the time but it looks like his knock coming into the league has come into fruition: he bullied divison II defensive backs that couldnt locate/play the ball in the air but wont translate with much success in the NFL because he doesnt get great separation Anyway, most of this draft was overhyped. It looked completely amazing at the time because it was hyped with "value". Reese says the giants had a first round grade on sintim, so there was "great value". Beatty was routinely mocked as a first round pick, as high as 20, so it was "tremendous value". Barden was an underrated steal who could have gone as high as late 1st, so it was "great value". Andre Brown struggled with injuries but was a great playmaker at NC state and could be a steal so the pick had "great value". Bomar had character concerns and couldve been highly drafted qb because of it so thus it was a great pick for 5th round and "great value". Beckum was 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round because of senior year injury, so it was "amazing value" Thing is, the supposed "value" of this draft class was overrated. Most of these prospects fell because they were overrated, not just because teams were stupid enough to pass on them. Hindsight is hindsight, but not one of the franchises stronger drafts overall[/quote]

Great post.

Comment

Agree about the injuries.

I know people don't like him but before he was injured again this year Carl Banks was saying that Sintim was looking great last pre season.

I think Beatty is a fine player if he could just stay healthy.

Beckum was showing some flashes last year.

Brown is on the team again and he looked like a very nice pick before he had his injury.

I was always supporting Barden but I'm starting to think this is it. If he doesn't show something in pre season I'd say he's on the hot seat.

Lots of late round picks get cut. Reese has also drafted some studs late in the draft.

I could be wrong but I thought the Texans picked right before the Giants.

Comment

Certainly not the best draft for sure. Thanks goodness we got Nicks in that draft.

Comment

[quote user="Gmenfan87"]They say you have to wait about 3 years to see if a draft was a success or not. So lets revisit the 09 draft.

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
                              Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
                              Rd. 2 William Beatty
                              Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
                              Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
                              Rd. 4 Andre Brown
                              Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
                              Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
                              Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

To put it in perspective the Texans drafted Connor Barwin with the very next pick after Sintim.[/quote]

Or another way of looking at it is out of 9 draft picks, 6 are still on the team (which is a good measure), 2 are starters (Beatty, Nicks) and one is a legit star (Nicks).

Sintim, Barden and Beckum have been disappointments.

Andre Brown is coming back from an injury that normally ends careers (ruptured Achilles).

I'd say betting a star and a starting LT out of a draft class makes it a good draft by itself but I can understand being underwhelmed by the majority of it.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Working...
                              X