Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

"During an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday, New York Giants
    general manager Jerry Reese floated the possibility of Michael Boley
    playing middle linebacker for the Giants in 2012.

Reese would not have said it out loud if the idea wasn't truly on the table.
    So, let's talk about it. Forget the other candidates, and the upcoming NFL
    Draft, for a minute. Is Boley at middle linebacker a good idea?

Boley is a seven-year veteran who has always played the weakside, or what is
    not often called the 'WILL' linebacker position. He is 6-foot-3, 236 pounds --
    not exactly classic 4-3 middle linebacker material.

Think about it, though, and Boley already functions much like a middle
    linebacker for the Giants, anyway. He took over calling the defensive signals
    for the Giants a season ago when Jonathan Goff
    went down to a season-ending injury, and it is Boley who makes most of the
    pre-snap calls at the line of scrimmage. Pro-Football Reference as always listed
    Boley as a left or right side linebacker. For 2011, he is listed simply as a
    linebacker -- indicating the adjustment in the scheme the Giants play.

When the Giants play their 4-2-5 alignment, which is more and more becoming
    their base defense, Boley and Mathias
    Kiwanuka
    or Jacquian
    Williams
    already line up and function somewhat like middle linebackers. In
    pass defense, range in coverage is a requirement of Perry Fewell's zone-heavy
    schemes, anyway, and we know Boley can run, cover and handle those deep
    drops.

So, Boley as the 'de facto' middle linebacker in the Giants' defense might
    not be as far-fetched as it sounds the first time you hear it. What do you
    think, Giants' fans?"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

pre-snap calls at the line of scrimmage. Pro-Football Reference as always listed

Kiwanuka
    or Jacquian
    Williams
    drops.

think, Giants' fans?"

[/quote]

Like the article says he plays all over the field for us anyway. If we dont' draft a MLB or sign a vet through free agency sure why not move him over to MLB as long as he's still covering the TE. Vernon Davis killed us in that first 49ers game when he went down at the half time.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

Kiwanuka
      or Jacquian
      Williams
      drops.

think, Giants' fans?"

[/quote]

he functions like a MLB except for maybe one key major factor: he may be our worst tackling Linebacker...

If he could tackle like he should he would be recognized as a top 4-3 linebacker
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

I think we still need to draft. We need depth, we need a blanket of security

Comment

He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

hes still on the field for nickle

theres no set rules, hes in on most nickle packages

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote]

Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field.

With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

[/quote]

Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field.

With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

true, but we have a liability against the run at MLB if Boley is our MLB in a base 4-3

Im not too excited about that idea at all

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy. Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller. Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote] Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field. With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

true, but we have a liability against the run at MLB if Boley is our MLB in a base 4-3

[/quote]

Yeah, I could see them doing it for the sake of getting JWill on the field and putting their best 11 guys out there (similar to why they moved Kiwi to LB). But Boley doesn't do well when he's got to fight through the trash and take on blockers, which MLBers have to be able to do in our scheme.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy. Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller. Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote] Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field. With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I could see them doing it for the sake of getting JWill on the field and putting their best 11 guys out there (similar to why they moved Kiwi to LB). But Boley doesn't do well when he's got to fight through the trash and take on blockers, which MLBers have to be able to do in our scheme.

[/quote]

And yet we didn't have that problem when Boley was playing MLB for us this year including run heavy teams such as Atlanta, Jets and 49ers.

I don't think there is a single power run team in existence right now (the Jets were probably the closest in 2010).

Comment

Im a HUGE Boley fan but for him to be the MIKE he needs to bulk up and step up his run support. At this point id rather have Kiwi, Herzlich, and Boley as our starting LBs with JQ Williams spelling our guys and coming in for specialty packages
                      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Our defense is all about being versitile and playing all over the field. Antrel coming up to the line, Kiwi playing LB, Tuck playing DT. These are not their natural positions. If Boley goes to MLB, it wont be his natural position. He was the captain on D along with Trel though, calling the plays and making sure everyone is lined up right. But I have been dying for a real solid LB on this team for years and years. I guess Reese makes it not matter as much, since we just won the SB without one, but LBs are nice to have for tackling and stopping the run, not having to rely on T2 or Rolle to lead the team in tackles.

LB is a weakness on this team that we never address. Why not just put JPP back there as a LB? Or maybe Chad Jones can play LB when he comes back?

Actually, if Chad Jones comes back healthy, that might not be a bad idea. He is the size of a LB. Wonder if he can still have burst or is smart enough to grasp the LB intangables.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER:* A GOOD IDEA?

Kiwanuka
                          or Jacquian
                          Williams
                          drops.

think, Giants' fans?"

[/quote]

he functions like a MLB except for maybe one key major factor: he may be our worst tackling Linebacker...

If he could tackle like he should he would be recognized as a top 4-3 linebacker
                          [/quote]
                          Last year his tackling was great down the stretch. He had key tackles in the Dallas and Falcons games that forced fourth downs and stopped conversions.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][he functions like a MLB except for maybe one key major factor: he may be our worst tackling Linebacker...

[/quote]

Ummmm he was our second leading tackler (94 versus Rolle's 100 combined) last year and that's with missing 3.5 games.

Don't know where you guys get the idea he's not a solid tackler.

Comment

So let me get this straight.

We're already quite weak at linebacker and the idea is to move the only good linebacker we have out of his natural position to Mike where he will be closed in and forced to play in greater traffic negating his main asset being speed.

sounds great. LETS DO IT!!!!
                              My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X