No announcement yet.

Giants pulling their players from WFAN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants pulling their players from WFAN?

I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants

whats going on with this?

Re: Giants pulling their players from WFAN?

I thought he was talking about 1050 ESPN, but I could be wrong. Just started listening.

*edit*

may have been another article I read.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

whats going on with this?[/quote]

Told you it was a crap station.

Francessa has single handedly alienated the entire NFL.
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050. The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants. It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station anyone hear this? this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants whats going on with this?[/quote]

I thought they were pulling them off the espn station Ro had a article up yesterday on it

edit ...its on the front page here

Comment

Makes sense to me. Why would u put players on the radio station that u dont have a deal with.

Comment

[quote user="JimC"][quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050.* The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants.* It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.
              [/quote]

Are you sure about that? Eli's "I'm As Good As Brady" interview was on the Michael Kay show on ESPN last year.
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

anyone hear this?

Yes, there was an article in yesterday's news thread about it. Both Eli and Cruz were told nothing doing. One opinion was that covering our trophies in last season's regular season game was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Here's the link and the article:

TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR

Excerpt: "In early March, Eli Manning hosted an
                “Evening With Eli,” at the New York Athletic Club in conjunction with ESPN-1050.
                For eight years, the Giants’ two-time Super Bowl MVP participated in a weekly
                segment on the radio station.

At the dinner, both Manning and ESPN-1050 suits prominently announced they
                would happily extend their relationship for several more years. Two weeks later,
                according to radio and NFL sources, the relationship between Manning and
                ESPN-1050 was over.

ESPN-1050 was informed Manning would not be coming back as a regular on “The
                Michael Kay Show.” Instead, he was heading to WFAN, the Giants’ flagship radio
                station.

By all accounts, Manning did not make this decision on his own. He enjoyed
                doing his weekly spot and was compensated well. Money was not the issue. Manning
                also had no problem with the fact 1050 is the radio home of the Jets.

And during his 1050 tenure, no one at WFAN tried to lure him to the
                station.

Why did the situation change? Who put the kibosh on Manning continuing his
                relationship with 1050?

All paths lead to the increased flow of bad blood between the Jets and
                Giants. It finally occurred to Giants brass that having the face of their
                franchise as a featured voice on the radio home of the Jets was a terrible
                idea.

Although the Giants walked away from last season on top of the football
                world, management is still angered over Jet brass covering those Giants Super
                Bowl logos with curtains in MetLife Stadium before Jets hosted the Giants on
                Christmas Eve. They also haven’t forgotten how Gang Green put a picture of
                Manning being crushed from behind by Calvin Pace on the
                cover of their defensive playbook heading into that game.

“More than all that, I believe (Giants co-owner) John Mara was not exactly
                thrilled over Eli being on the Jets
                station throughout the Giants Super Bowl year,” the NFL source said.

The radio whereabouts of Giants players is likely not on Mara’s radar, but we
                could see how the Manning-1050 alliance eventually stuck in his craw. And if he
                did ask Manning to make the radio switch, what’s Eli going to say, “No”? Giants
                ownership has made their QB one of the NFL’s highest-paid players.

Nonetheless, the bad blood thing is still in play. After Manning jumped ship,
                ESPN-1050 tried to negotiate a deal with Victor Cruz. A source
                close to Cruz said he was told Giants players were now prohibited from being
                paid regulars “on a non-Giants station.”

Don’t discount WFAN, tired of the buzz and ratings ESPN-1050 was generating
                with the QB (remember Kay’s “elite Eli” interview), trying to exert whatever
                pressure it could to bring in Manning." Read more...
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="JimC"][quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050. The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants. It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.
                  [/quote]

Are you sure about that? Eli's "I'm As Good As Brady" interview was on the Michael Kay show on ESPN last year.[/quote]
                  Yes. Eli is not going to be doing the weekly spots with Kay this year.

As far as YA saying WFAN, I'll just assume he meant 1050 and said the Fan instead.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="JimC"][quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

[/quote]

Are you sure about that? Eli's "I'm As Good As Brady" interview was on the Michael Kay show on ESPN last year.[/quote]

Yep...that Eli interview was last year. There will be no Eli interviews on ESPN 1050 this year, or any other Giants.

Comment

[quote user="byron"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station anyone hear this? this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants whats going on with this?[/quote]

I thought they were pulling them off the espn station Ro had a article up yesterday on it

[/quote]

I put it in both places as a lot of posters don't read the news thread
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[B][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="byron"]

[/quote]

I put it in both places as a lot of posters don't read the news thread
                        [/quote]

[B]

Comment

Before we run away with this I am pretty sure the issue has to do with "performing" on ESPN 1050 for a financial consideration. I don't think the organization can dictate the giving of a non-compensated interview to Michael Kay over the phone or in person.

I'm not sure the organization can actually demand their players not perform compensated work of this type either. But, in ELi's case, he's the player face of the franchise and they pay him pretty handsomely so Eli probably would just take the hint and move on. Why die on that battlefield?

Comment

Eli vs Tebow in SB! WOOOOOO!!!! ...JK
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote user="JimC"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="JimC"][quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050.* The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants.* It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.
                              [/quote]

Yep...that Eli interview was last year.* There will be no Eli interviews on ESPN 1050 this year, or any other Giants.
                              [/quote]

I turned on Francesa in the middle of him talking about it and assumed he meant the Fan

my bad

Comment

Working...
                              X