No shot for Bennet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No shot for Bennet?

Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable

Re: No shot for Bennet?

i think if we just had acquired him there would be more of a buzz

but you know, it's a short attn span world and that deal went down a month+ ago

personally, altho i know little about Bennett, i'm anxious to see him in Blue ... he certainly looks the part

don't worry, Jerry's got in all covered

Comment

I think Bennet is suspect in his wirk ethic and his catching ability. He's more athletic than Ballard. Even from Ballard's small body of work I'd say he has softer hands and better blocking than Bennett.

I'm not big on Fleener. I want 2 dimensional TE- a great run blocker with soft hands.I'm looking for a poor man's Bavaro clone not a Jimmy Graham clone.I think we can get that in the lower rounds.

Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

i expect bennett to make a ton of plays for us, but remember, he and ballard are only signed to 1 yr contracts. and ballard, who already was slow, is coming off an injury where a lot of players lose a step...if ballard loses a step i just cant see how he'd be effective as a starter at all...

but fleener would be the backup to bennett with pascoe as the 3rd string/fb back up.

i'd rather get a wr but if fleener is there i'm all for it.

Comment

I'll take MB over JB any day of the week. I think the guy is going to break out with Eli as his QB. Just think of the plays that JB made and his lack of athletic ability. Big year for MB!!

Comment

[quote user="Idkaname"]Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable[/quote]

Bennet has to prove he's anything more than a big body.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Dirt66"]I'll take MB over JB any day of the week. I think the guy is going to break out with Eli as his QB. Just think of the plays that JB made and his lack of athletic ability. Big year for MB!![/quote]

If he breaks out it's not b/c Eli was his QB its b/c he would be the No. 1 TE for the Giants. Witten, Bryant, and Miles don't seem to have a problem making playswith Romo at QB.

Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

i literally don't give a flying fadoo about his receiving ability, or lack thereof.

we haven't had a really good blocking TE since Shockey left. Boss had to work at becoming a better blocker, but was never great, both Jake and Bear have the size but they struggled significantly in blocking last year.

The one thing people haven't questioned about Bennett is his blocking ability.

If that's all he brings to this team, it'll be a major improvement over what we've had for some time.

sigpic

Comment

I think the fact that it only a 1 year deal has people looking to the future.

Comment

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]I think the fact that it only a 1 year deal has people looking to the future.[/quote]

Reeese is giving him a chance to show his potential with the 1 year contract!

if he proves to be a nice fit for the G-Men he'll get his money next year!

sigpic

Comment

[quote user="Idkaname"]Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable[/quote]Not many Giants fans are upset about Bennett being signed here. I think everyone believes he has great potential to thrive here! Myself, I never wanted Fleener...no TE's fit for a 1st round pick this year in my book! Lately Fleener has been getting bad press so I think that signals a drop into the late second or even further back due to his poor blocking ability.

Comment

MB was a critical signing, as without him the hole in that position would be massive.

That said, I'm surprised at the negativity on this thread regarding Fleener. I just heard a radio interview with the host of ESPN Sports Science -- they have tested most of the likely 1st rounders, and he said Fleener is one of the best TE's they've ever seen. Hugely strong (1000 pounds of downward vertical forced during a tug of rope drill, whatever that means), faster and higher leap than Gronk. On top of that, a Stanford-quality brain is presumably a big plus.

Since MB is only on a 1 year contract, a rook with big upside potential like this seems like a good pick to me (though I'd prefer if the BPA were an offensive lineman).....

Comment

[quote user="sg92"]MB was a critical signing, as without him the hole in that position would be massive.

That said, I'm surprised at the negativity on this thread regarding Fleener. I just heard a radio interview with the host of ESPN Sports Science -- they have tested most of the likely 1st rounders, and he said Fleener is one of the best TE's they've ever seen. Hugely strong (1000 pounds of downward vertical forced during a tug of rope drill, whatever that means), faster and higher leap than Gronk. On top of that, a Stanford-quality brain is presumably a big plus.

Since MB is only on a 1 year contract, a rook with big upside potential like this seems like a good pick to me (though I'd prefer if the BPA were an offensive lineman).....[/quote]Already have a brain

Comment

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

i literally don't give a flying fadoo about his receiving ability, or lack thereof.

we haven't had a really good blocking TE since Shockey left.* Boss had to work at becoming a better blocker, but was never great, both Jake and Bear have the size but they struggled significantly in blocking last year.

The one thing people haven't questioned about Bennett is his blocking ability.

If that's all he brings to this team, it'll be a major improvement over what we've had for some time.

[/quote]

Yeah and Ballard can continue to out-slow people down the field.

Comment

Even with Bennet we still need TEs. People seem to forget the Pascoe was amoung the league leaders in holding penalties last year and on a per snap basis, I think he did lead the league. Not to mention we have not resigned him yet.

So we still have a hole at the position even with Bennett on the roster.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X