Running Backs are a dime a dozen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

why can't nicks and cruz both be signed? them two and jpp is our next generation of greats - we need to keep them.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

I am not thrilled with this pick at all. I wasn't thrilled with JPP though either, so, really it doesnt mean much.

BUT

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The only one I would of taken is Richardson. After that, it is too deep to get one in the first.

Im not saying Wilson will be bad or a bust by anymeans, but I feel we reached. I feel we were hoping Doug Martin was thereand the Bucs straight up smacked us in the nose by trading right in front of us and snagging him.

And I want to go on record and say that Courtney Upshaw is going to be a probowler for years to come. Watching this guy play, he could do it all. Rush the passer, play LB, ect. Reminds me of when DeMeco Ryans slipped. Upshaw will be better then Ryans, who won the DROY and has been to multiple probowls.

I would of rather taken someone to replace MM like Stephan Hill. It's a passing league now. We dont run the ball as much as we used to. And it netted us a 2nd SB in 4 years. Nicks and Cruz willnot both be resigned.

Our Oline was one of the worst for run blocking in the NFL. That isnt going to change much. Id almost rather we rebuild the Oline. Cordy Glenn, Konz, Adams...The trenches.

Anyway, I dont agree with the pick, but Reese is the man so I guess we will see what his game plan is. I guess I am just a little sour because the Bucs made us look bad too.

[/quote]

This is another myth in the NFL. And it so cliche its getting boring.

MOST RB's are a dime a dozen. But great RB's are game changers and can improve the productivity of almost every aspect of your football team.

If JR thought he had a chance to get a player like that he was right to take it.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

[quote user="DJloves"]why can't nicks and cruz both be signed? them two and jpp is our next generation of greats - we need to keep them.[/quote]

I would love it, but think about how much money these 2 will command. Then add in top DE money to JPP. I hope Reese can figure it out, but it reminds me of the T2 vs Ross situation. We could only keep one.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me.* How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64.** I thunk it was a good move for now and the future.* I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick?* Fleener will never make it to 64.
          [/quote]

Do NOT see them trading up for Fleener but possibly trade up to take someone high on their board that will not reach them at bottom of second. (Like Massie, Jonathan Martin, Randle possibly) then hopefully take dwayne allen at bottom of second. Then for 3rd round- maybe pick up Mike Martin if he lasts.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="Firenugget"]I'm tired of hearing that. No offense to you personally, just in general. RB's are definitely not a dime a dozen. Unless of course you mean 3rd/4th string RB's...

As far as the Bucs go I like Wilson better than Martin myself.
            [/quote]

No, RBs are a dime a dozen. Bradshaw is a perfect example. 7th round. Jacobs was a 4th round. Only time will tell though.

For now, I trust Reese and will root hard for David Wilson. I just see this as a need pick, not a BPA.[/quote]

Brady was drafted in the 6th round, I guess QB's are a dime a dozen too. And Im beginning to think most of you dont actually know what dime a dozen means, either that or you actually think that running backs are so common that they have 0 value.

I get a kick out of the reaching comments too, its not reaching if you think the guy is going to be good. If you like him, you take him.

I guess youd just rather watch shotgun draws to Ware all season long.

Comment

someone do a quick look of starting HBs around the league and what round they were drafted in. I would guess most were rounds 1-3.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver[/quote]

He was the best performing back in the pass catching drills at the combine.

It is true VT didnt use him much, but that is a flaw in their offense, not in him. To be honest, that offense can be painful to watch. I always have a hard time evaluating QBs and WRs from there because it is so simple a system.
                sigpic

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"]someone do a quick look of starting HBs around the league and what round they were drafted in. I would guess most were rounds 1-3.[/quote]

You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

I'm not against the pick, I like it actually as it fills a need and likely gives us a future starter with the last pick in the 1st round. But if RB was as valuable a position as others than you wouldn't have OT's and CBs' consistently getting more money each year.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

[quote user="BlueSanta"]He was the best performing back in the pass catching drills at the combine.

It is true VT didnt use him much, but that is a flaw in their offense, not in him. To be honest, that offense can be painful to watch. I always have a hard time evaluating QBs and WRs from there because it is so simple a system.
                    [/quote]

Im not knocking him personally for it, I know he cant do anything about the system. But I just look at it as him having very little experience as a receiver.

Comment

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

[/quote]

Compare guards, TEs, HBs, I bet the highest percentage of early picks is at HB of those three positions.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
                        [/quote]

Osi and a 7th for Fleener??? This would be a horrible decision.

Osi is still one of the best pure pass rushers in the game, and is under contract for another year. Why would you give him away for next to nothing? Our only strength on defense is rushing the passer, and without Osi, our one strength would take a HUGE hit.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

[/quote] Compare guards, TEs, HBs, I bet the highest percentage of early picks is at HB of those three positions.[/quote]

Maybe, it'd be close, but also remember Guards and TEs' tend to have much longer shelf lives than RBs'. And compare the type of money guards get in FA nowadays to RBs' and you see how teams value the position.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

Maybe, it'd be close, but also remember Guards and TEs' tend to have much longer shelf lives than RBs'. And compare the type of money guards get in FA nowadays to RBs' and you see how teams value the position.

[/quote]

Eh, figure he is under contract for 5 years... Worry about shelf life at the end of those 5 years. By that time they may be looking for a guy to take over from Eli. So I dont even really want to think about 5 years into the future

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".*[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver[/quote]

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse.

Comment

[quote user="T.Rice57"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
                                [/quote]

Osi and a 7th for Fleener??? This would be a horrible decision.

Osi is still one of the best pure pass rushers in the game, and is under contract for another year. Why would you give him away for next to nothing? Our only strength on defense is rushing the passer, and without Osi, our one strength would take a HUGE hit.
                                [/quote]

And Osi doesn't want to be here. So much so that he's offered to go ANYWHERE else and not redo his contract, something he says he's not interested in doing here.
                                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
                                X