Running Backs are a dime a dozen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
    [/quote]As much as I think it all starts with the OL, we are frightfully thin at RB especially given AB's health concerns which will be there for as long as he plays football. We need more immediate help at RB than we need anywhere and if the pool will be dry or full of so so pick when we draft next then JR did what he had to do and pulled the trigger on a very nice running back who projects to help us immediately one way or another.[/quote]

I think Wilson was a good decision, I'm looking to make the line in front of him better and we are slim at TE. I know Beckum may be "ready" for the start of the season but that isn't wonderful news as he's really never gotten on track.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="ny06"]

[quote user="myles2424"]Besides Arian Foster, what DOMINATE RBs were taken after the 3rd round?? Since they're a dime a dozen, I was just curious....[/quote]

Terrell Davis

[/quote] You don't need a dominant running back to win games.[/quote]

What about games in December and January in the Meadowlands??

Comment

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="ny06"]

[quote user="myles2424"]Besides Arian Foster, what DOMINATE RBs were taken after the 3rd round?? Since they're a dime a dozen, I was just curious....[/quote]

Terrell Davis

[/quote]

What about them? How'd we do this year? How does green bay do?

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="FBomb"][quote user="TuckYou"]

Ok, I think some of you would love any pick that Reese made, and that doesnt make you wrong or right, or me wrong or right. Its all opinion.

Bottom line is, I feel we could of got a great value RB later in the draft, in means of being productive for our team right now. Ill say it again, I think Wilson could be a great RB for us and hopefully will. But I feel like other RBs could be as well, in the later rounds. Meanwhile there were some nice other players there right now. I think Stephan Hill is going to be a very good WR. I think Upshaw is going to be dominant.

[/quote]

lol....yeah, let's just dismiss all the valid arguements and facts thrown at you and write it all off to JR homers!!!

As always, you make me laugh!!

[/quote]

Facts? I dont see any facts. All I see are opinions.

[/quote]

oh,I don't know....maybe the FACT that Wilson was the second best RB on the Giants board, was the best RB left after TB jumped ahead of us. The FACT that we were dead last in the running game last season. The FACT that Bradshaw's feet are a mess and misses games. The FACT that it is a position of need.......

I know FACTS is a foreign concept in your world, so as usual I take whose posting into account.[]

I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

The fact that they passed on OL Martin, shows that they didn't "settle." Everyone at ESPN is saying that they wanted the RB, Martin taken at 31, but Mangini said the Giants aren't a team that "settles." He said that perhaps he was the guy they were looking for in that situation.

Comment

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="ny06"]

Terrell Davis

[/quote] What about them? How'd we do this year? How does green bay do?[/quote]

Feel free to go hang out at the Green Bay board....

Using them as a example to why somehow running game isnt important is ridiculous....

Thats a whole other breed of offense...

49ers....Ravens...Texans... All tuff running game/Defense...

Comment

Giants have never been big on "late risers" like Martin either. When they say they got their #2 rated RB I completely believe them.

I think Martin is a good player. But, I do not see him being better than Wilson, never did. Prior to the senior bowl nobody did either. Remember, Wilson wasnt at the senior bowl because he was a junior. So people couldnt compare the 2 head to head. Fact is, on the game film and on the stat sheet Wilson produced more, was more consistent doing it, and did it vs bigger competition.
                sigpic

Comment

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="ny06"]

Terrell Davis

[/quote]

What about them? How'd we do this year? How does green bay do?[/quote]

We were losing until we started rushing for over 100 yards a game.

And what's with the Green Bay love? We've beat them twice the past two times we've played them in the post season and each time our running attack was a large part of those victories.

Dude make sense.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

When you pick last it is tough. RB is definitely needed. I don't think AB's feet problems will go away and if he is out who runs the ball? If this guy turns out to be a real break away runner it will open the passing game even more. Of course it all remains to be seen. Jerry Reese and Co. have shut me up for now after some of my prior year complaints.

Comment

I disagree with you about Nicks and Cruz. Think about it. Since it is a passing league now, doesn't it make more sense to spend your money resigning your best 2 receivers, and save money by drafting your runners? If we draft good quality backs who we don't have to pay highly, then the money can go to receivers.

Makes sense to me!

Comment

To tivialize the RB position is just silly to me. Apparently you can win the Super Bowl with a 27th ranked defense, so should we not improve our defense then? Of course you can win without a good RB, but having a good RB makes you that much better.

What happens when conditions don't favor the passing game? What if they are doing a good job at pressuring Eli? Covering our WR's? Having a balanced attack is the best you can hope for in an offense. Look at the Patriots; we pressured Brady and what happened? I bet they wish they had Arian Foster then.

Speaking of the Pats, remember when the Pats had Corey Dillion? He was old but it improved their defense by a large margin (from #17 total offense in 2003, to #7 in 2004 and 2005).

Comment

[quote user="pino"]To tivialize the RB position is just silly to me. Apparently you can win the Super Bowl with a 27th ranked defense, so should we not improve our defense then? Of course you can win without a good RB, but having a good RB makes you that much better. What happens when conditions don't favor the passing game? What if they are doing a good job at pressuring Eli? Covering our WR's? Having a balanced attack is the best you can hope for in an offense. Look at the Patriots; we pressured Brady and what happened? I bet they wish they had Arian Foster then. Speaking of the Pats, remember when the Pats had Corey Dillion? He was old but it improved their defense by a large margin (from #17 total offense in 2003, to #7 in 2004 and 2005).[/quote]

I'll take a good oline over a great RB any day of the week.

Comment

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="ny06"]

Terrell Davis

[/quote] What about them? How'd we do this year? How does green bay do?[/quote]

Feel free to go hang out at the Green Bay board....

Using them as a example to why somehow running game isnt important is ridiculous....

Thats a whole other breed of offense...

49ers....Ravens...Texans... All tuff running game/Defense...

[/quote]

How bout the Giants and Pats this year, or the Saints and Colts in 2009? Or the Cards and Steelers in 2008?

The 2007 Giants were the last top 10 rushing team to be in a SB.

I'm not saying that having a running game isn't important, I believe to win the SB you need at least some balance. But let's not pretend that teams still ride their running games through the playoffs.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]How bout the Giants and Pats this year, or the Saints and Colts in 2009? Or the Cards and Steelers in 2008?

The 2007 Giants were the last top 10 rushing team to be in a SB. [/quote]

Saints had the 6th ranked running game in 2009.

Comment

the title of this thread is one of the biggest myths in pro football

every position is a dime a dozen

the good ones are few and far between......and we got ourselves a damn good football player

Comment

Working...
                                X