X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL DRAFT 2012: GIANTS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK JOE MARTINEK

NFL DRAFT 2012: GIANTS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK JOE MARTINEK

"The Giants signed 10 undrafted free
    agents immediately following the conclusion of the draft and one of them is Rutgers fullback Joe Martinek, who tweeted
    the news. Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross confirmed the signing.
    The 6-foot, 224-pounder ran a 4.5 40-yard-dash at Rutgers' pro day after
    catching 27 passes for 262 yards and a touchdown in addition to 24 rushes for
    123 yards in 2011

"We had him at the local day," Ross said. "We’ve been
    to tons of Rutgers games. He’s just a gritty, hard-nosed football player. He’s
    played fullback, he’s played running back, done whatever they asked. He worked
    out really well. Can really catch the ball. A guy you can throw in at any
    position there in the backfield and he’ll not miss a beat."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NFL DRAFT 2012: GIANTS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK JOE MARTINEK

Some competition for Hynoski.. nice..

Comment

What does this mean w/ regards to Hynoski? I thought he was progressing well last year.

Any chance the Giants have 2 FBs on the roster, or maybe just use Martinek at RB?

Comment

[quote user="FourthAndOne"]What does this mean w/ regards to Hynoski? I thought he was progressing well last year.

Any chance the Giants have 2 FBs on the roster, or maybe just use Martinek at RB?[/quote]

Preseason, competition, not letting some of the players think they got a regular season roster spot in the bag, etc..

Comment

Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker.

Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware

Comment

[quote user="DownWitJPP"]Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker.

Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware[/quote]

if he pulls off a victor-cruz splash type preseason, I won't be surprised either...

Comment

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Some competition for Hynoski.. nice..[/quote]

Nice change of pace guy more like Jacobs than our other backs. Interesting to see how he is used in pre-season.

Comment

[quote user="DownWitJPP"]Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker. Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware[/quote]

Always good to have some competition.

Comment

[quote user="DownWitJPP"]Martinek is much more than a fullback guys...he holds the record for high school rushing yards in NJ. He's a good ball carrier, can catch out of the backfield and is a good blocker.

Don't be surprised if they keep him over Andre Brown or even Danny Ware[/quote]
                  He already sounds more talented than Ware and Brown. I hope that neither are on the team this year. Martinek sounds like he would have some very good value and could maybe play ST.

Comment

Just saw his Youtube highlight reel.........if he shows any glimpses of the speed, hands or blocking I viewed during the preseason Brown, Ware, and possibly Hynoski are in trouble......

Comment

[quote user="O.C. Giant Fan"]Just saw his Youtube highlight reel.........if he shows any glimpses of the speed, hands or blocking I viewed during the preseason Brown, Ware, and possibly Hynoski are in trouble......
                      [/quote]

1st off, let me say how refreshing it is to see a highlight film where a kid is shown in pass protection like that.

I do think Hynoski is at risk.Other than that I would argue Pascoe is in trouble and possibly Beckum. Sure, this kid isnt gonna line up at TE. But he could make the team as a RB/H-Back and serve as a backup FB. Thats what we did with Droughns in 2007. People forget, Pascoe is our 2nd string Fullback, that is his real value to this team. We have to have a 2nd guy who can play that position in a pinch, even if it is a h-back lead blocker.It is a staple of our offense.

If you take away Pascoe as a backup FB I am not sure he is on this team. I beleive I read Pascoe led the NFL in holding penalties per snap last year. He really is not a very good TE at all and struggles a lot with seal blocks. Maybe this is why we have not resigned him yet.

We will likely keep 3 TEs on the roster. Bennett is a lock. That leaves Robinson, Beckum( he said he would be ready), and Pascoe to fight over the 2nd and 3rd spots. However, Ballard may enter the mix too at some point. So maybe we hold 2 TEs if it looks like Ballard will be healthy in time to contribute meaningful playtime.

Considering Beckum isnt really a TE but rather a H-back, I do not see why this Joe Martinek, who looks very good as a reciever and particularly good as a pass protector, cant do at least as well as Beckum as a reciever and would be an upgrade in blocking. And, if Joe does make the team, it means we no longer need to count on Pascoe as a 2nd string FB. So I think either or possibly both Beckum and Pascoe might he in trouble(assuming we even resign pascoe to begin with, which at this point is only going to happen for the league minimum.)

sigpic

Comment

Goal line RB?

Comment

brown is gone .and DJ Ware will be looking over his shoulder. i say this this kid makes the team. i will be rooting for him all the way..

Comment

At 6' 224, he isnt a FB, H-back, or TE.

Hes a HB.

Comment

Guys, I'm the biggest Hynoski fan ever, since high school. But this guy martinek is something special. He will definitely make this team. He has GIANTS written all over him. With a side of Peyton hills on crack. This guy is a beast. I want my guy Henry to grow as our feature fullback. But this martinek has a spot on this team

Comment

Working...
                              X