Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More behind Rivers trade

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...SI&eref=fromSI

"here was a story behind the story on the Keith Rivers trade to the Giants. The former first round pick had surgery on his wrist near the end of the lockout last summer. The Bengals thought he could have had it earlier in the offseason, and did not approve. The team subsequently put him on the non football injury list. Rivers wanted to be put on the physically unable to perform list, which would have enabled him to collect his salary. He filed a grievance against the team. There were hard feelings, and both sides thought a fresh start was in order."

This makes the trade sound even better from our point of view.

Re: More behind Rivers trade

Can't wait for camp. Competition should be steep. It'll be interesting to see who starts the season in the middle.

Comment

oh that is good info

at least we know the Bengalsdidn't let him go purely on either injury or performance

Comment

Well, it sounds more plausible now. All we need to do is wait and see if he plays like a #1 or a # nothing!

Comment

Just for giggles...What makes this credible? The word "rumors" is in the site name.

Comment

Eh, I'm pulling for him to be a great pick up, but as of now he is a guy who has never lived up to expectations in the NFL.

Maybe a new team can motivate him? I don't know, but he only cost the Giants a 5th round pick.

Maybe he doesn't make the team. Maybe he stats.

Comment

Actually, if anything this seems to raise a red flag about Rivers. Why not have the surgery as soon as possible?

Seems like he was trying to go on the pup, instead of get back on the field as soon as possible.

Comment

[quote user="Warchild"]Actually, if anything this seems to raise a red flag about Rivers. Why not have the surgery as soon as possible? Seems like he was trying to go on the pup, instead of get back on the field as soon as possible.[/quote]

Could it be because the owners had locked out the players and he had no health insurance to cover it?

Comment

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="Warchild"]Actually, if anything this seems to raise a red flag about Rivers. Why not have the surgery as soon as possible? Seems like he was trying to go on the pup, instead of get back on the field as soon as possible.[/quote]

Could it be because the owners had locked out the players and he had no health insurance to cover it?

[/quote]
                  IIRC, players that were injured prior to the lockout still had coverage for those injuries.

Most likely, he was probably waiting to see if it'd heal enough to avoid surgery, as many players do.

Quite honestly, why go under the knife if it's not necessary?

Comment

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]
                    IIRC, players that were injured prior to the lockout still had coverage for those injuries.

Most likely, he was probably waiting to see if it'd heal enough to avoid surgery, as many players do.

[/quote]

^ This.
                    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

I believe that our management knew all the background between Rivers and the Bengals before they made the deal. I have a good feeling about this acquisition - I'm aware that my "good feeling" means nothing, but I have it anyway. In essence, he's our 5th pick in this year's draft at a cost of $1.25 million for 1 year (if my info is correct). What would an average 5th rounder get - maybe $300K-$500K? I'm good with the deal and hopeful that it becomes a bargain.

Comment

Its funny, when you post something in these forums refering to the "Rivers Trade" I do not readily think of Kieth Rivers.

I guess we now have to distinguish between Rivers trades.
                        sigpic

Comment

[quote user="chasjay"]I believe that our management knew all the background between Rivers and the Bengals before they made the deal. I have a good feeling about this acquisition - I'm aware that my "good feeling" means nothing, but I have it anyway. In essence, he's our 5th pick in this year's draft at a cost of $1.25 million for 1 year (if my info is correct). What would an average 5th rounder get - maybe $300K-$500K? I'm good with the deal and hopeful that it becomes a bargain.
                          [/quote]
                          Actually, Rivers is only guaranteed $700k this season ($650k base+ $50k workout bonus). The rest of the money is incentives.

Comment

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Btw, this is exactly what Osi did . He chose not to have his surgery at the end of 2010 for fear it would hurt his value in negotiations that offseason if the Giants knew about that knee. Choosing to wait till the start of camp to have his knee operated on, Osi put the 2011 season in jeopordy. I love Osi as a passrusher, but to this day, I do not think he was held accountable for this and perhaps he should have been.
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Btw, this is exactly what Osi did . He chose not to have his surgery at the end of 2010 for fear it would hurt his value in negotiations that offseason if the Giants knew about that knee.* Choosing to wait till the start of camp to have his knee operated on, Osi put the 2011 season in jeopordy. I love Osi as a passrusher, but to this day, I do not think he was held accountable for this and perhaps he should have been.
                              [/quote]

Accountable for what?

As Drez indicates, this kind of delay in deciding upon surgery occurs ALL the time in professional sports. All the time.

Usually in these cases the medical staff has either urged waiting a few months to see if time and nature takes care of the healing. Or, they may give the player the choice himself whether to have surgery immediately or wait several months to see if the injury heals itself.

In either case, surgery is seen by both doctor and patient as an alternative of last resort. Which all too often--from a fans' point of view--results in disappointing announcements right before a season begins--or right as the season begins--that a certain player needs surgery and will miss the first several weeks, or a couple months, or a season.

By all accounts this is exactly what occurred with Osi--although many on this board insist upon clinging to the opinion that it was "Osi being spiteful (I, however, have never ever head of a self prescribed "revenge surgery")".

And the Giants--unlike the Bengals with Rivers--opted to keep him on the active list, believing he would (as he, in fact, did) return to play by Week 3 or 4.

That decision was one of hundreds that distinguishes the Giants organization from that of the Bengals. Thank god.

Comment

Working...
                              X