Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else scratching their head over Giants bringing in Joe Martinek?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else scratching their head over Giants bringing in Joe Martinek?

I got nothing against the guy just not sure where the Giants are thinking of using him. He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? If thats the case then we shouldnt have brought him in. I just dont see a rookie supplanting Hynoski.

Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year.

Nothing against the kid...i just dont see a place for him with this team
    sigpic
    BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone else scratching their head over Giants bringing in Joe Martinek?

You've got it wrong. Martinek is more of a RB than a FB. He holds the New Jersey High School rushing title and is very quick with his feet. I think he is being brought in to be a powerback and pass-protector in short yardage situations.

Check out his highlights, the guy can move once he has the ball in his hands.

Comment

It's not like he made the roster. There will be many more bodies signing before camp. Many are just speculation or camp fodder, and everyone knows it. Then, there's always a longshot, surprise find... like a Jeremy Lin for the Knicks... Or, what's his name?... uh, some guy named Victor Cruz that no one knew when he was a rook.. You never know, and Hynoski does a good job for us, but he's no All Pro.

Comment

He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball, and is pretty quick.

I would not be surprised if he made the team.

Comment

[quote user="FroZeNx31x"]You've got it wrong. Martinek is more of a RB than a FB. He holds the New Jersey High School rushing title and is very quick with his feet. I think he is being brought in to be a powerback and pass-protector in short yardage situations.

Check out his highlights, the guy can move once he has the ball in his hands.[/quote]

Hynoski broke rushing records in HS as well. Fact is Martinek rushed the ball only 24 times his senior year. For all intents he is a FB.

I guess its worth checking him out. But like i said...i just dont see a spot for him on this team.
          sigpic
          BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

[quote user="buddy33"]He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball, and is pretty quick.

I would not be surprised if he made the team.[/quote]

Personally, I would be very surprised if they kept this guy and cut Hynoski....no chance they keep both.
            sigpic
            BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

He's a damn good runner, good fight for extra yards and once he gets going he is gone!

I think having a Jersey boy in there playing for the GMEN would be good moral for him.

Some highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo

Comment

Gotta really like his vision and blocking skills as well.

Comment

[quote user="thomsoad"][quote user="FroZeNx31x"]You've got it wrong. Martinek is more of a RB than a FB. He holds the New Jersey High School rushing title and is very quick with his feet. I think he is being brought in to be a powerback and pass-protector in short yardage situations.

Check out his highlights, the guy can move once he has the ball in his hands.[/quote]

Hynoski broke rushing records in HS as well. Fact is Martinek rushed the ball only 24 times his senior year. For all intents he is a FB.

I guess its worth checking him out. But like i said...i just dont see a spot for him on this team.[/quote]

watch the tape before you define the guy. He played 3 years as a tailback before being switched to FB in his senior season.

Comment

Exactly. RU also lost most of their OL talent two years ago and didn't replace it all that well.

Comment

[quote user="nihan87"]

He's a damn good runner, good fight for extra yards and once he gets going he is gone!

I think having a Jersey boy in there playing for the GMEN would be good moral for him.

Some highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo

[/quote] Ya, theres nothing wrong with bringing in a bulldozer, who can block and run some, obviously in the mold of a Kuhn from the pack... Martinek is the kinda player that gives u 100pct on every play, and does the little things well that makes a team better.. I have no problem bringing in Martinek...

Comment

[quote user="thomsoad"]I got nothing against the guy just not sure where the Giants are thinking of using him. He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position? If thats the case then we shouldnt have brought him in. I just dont see a rookie supplanting Hynoski. Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year. Nothing against the kid...i just dont see a place for him with this team[/quote]

This guy looks great! He can run, block, and catch.... Why wouldnt there be a spot on this team for him?

Comment

thanks nihan.

he looks like he could be an awesome 3rd down back. great in pass protection. great hands. quick feet. and can run on short yardage. very tough to bring down...

wouldnt surprise me if this guy makes a name for himself in the nfl, just dont know if itll be with us

Comment

EVERYONE needs to be pushed in training camp. NO ONE'S position should be secure. .......and that's before we get to injuries. We need all the good players we can find and I like what I see from this kid. If he can contribute on ST, he could stick.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

[quote user="thomsoad"] He is more of a FB then a RB. So is he supposed to compete against Hynoski for the FB position?

Or is supposed to replace BJ in short yardage? I guess I could see that but this guy only rushed 24 times his senior year.
                              [/quote]

First off your completely wrong that he's more of a FB then a RB. This kid holds the all time high school rushing record here in Jersey. He was a RB for 3 years at Rutgers before changeing to FB his senior season. He is a good blocker, catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good solid overall football player.

IMO he isn't competing with Hank the Tank..He's competing with DJ ware and Andre Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X