How long before Wilson starts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before Wilson starts?

Obviously Bradshaw has a lot left in the tank if he can remain healthy, but what if Wilson comes into next season and shines with his limited carries? Do you think he has a shot to take Bradshaws job? If so how long do you think it will take before he is the starter?

Re: How long before Wilson starts?

Slow down. He was just drafted and has not seen one second of pro football yet. What about Scott?

Honestly I don know how long Bradshaw will be on the team. I mean I hope he finishes his career with the Giants, but with his injuries and the salary cap issues always being what the are we have no idea how long he will be around.

Comment

Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest.

But once he learns that, yeah, he could be a stud RB. It could be a few years though.

Comment

[quote user="buddy33"]What about Scott?[/quote]

He's not a first round draft pick.

Wilson wasn't drafted to start splitting carries with Bradshaw 3 years from now. ASAP is the time frame. It comes down to how quickly he can learn.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

wilson will be ahead of both Scott and Ware... I get that people like what Scott showed last preseason but theres a reason Wilson was our first round pick. He will be given every opportunity to have an impact this season

Comment

I don't see any time frame for Wilson to be thrust into a starting role. The fact of the matter is they just gave Bradshaw a nice size contract and on top of that...he knows the system well and is a better overall blocker and protector for Eli.

The Giants have remained a RB by committee so I don't think just because Wilson was a 1st round pick that'll they'll be some time table for him. I think the Giants like it just fine adding another weapon to the backfield and depending on future performances between the players... will make up the outcome of how the RB corps shape up...IMO of course.
            "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

[quote user="AceOspadZ4"]wilson will be ahead of both Scott and Ware... I get that people like what Scott showed last preseason but theres a reason Wilson was our first round pick. He will be given every opportunity to have an impact this season[/quote]
              I absolutely agree. 1st round pick, even end of it, he'll play and probably start by week 9 due to wear down of Bradshaw.

Comment

[quote user="AceOspadZ4"]wilson will be ahead of both Scott and Ware... I get that people like what Scott showed last preseason but theres a reason Wilson was our first round pick. He will be given every opportunity to have an impact this season[/quote]

Just because we picked him in the 1st doesn't mean he is the automatic starter or gets playing time in front of the vets. Ware may be limited in what he brings to the table, but he can protect Eli and can hold on to the rock. Wilson is raw on both those aspects. Coughlin will not play him much until he can prove he can do both. Ware is the #2 right now, like it or not. Bradshaw said he will teach Wilson the tricks of the trade though, so I expect Wilson to pick it up quickly.

Comment

He will start in Bradshaw's 1st missed game due to ankle injury this season. Unless he puts on the ground frequently in previous reg/preseason games

Comment

[quote user="Vtgmenfan89"]He will start in Bradshaw's 1st missed game due to ankle injury this season. Unless he puts on the ground frequently in previous reg/preseason games[/quote]

A lot of people think AB is automatically going to miss games this year. Last year was the first time I remember in his career where he missed games...he's always had the ankle troubles but he plays hurt...and is still productive. He had a broken bone in his foot last year and wanted to play but the doctors kept him out even though he finished the season off with it not healed. Most players wouldn't have even been playing.

I also don't think Wilson automatically will start if AB were to miss time...I think that's just your opinion but I'd expect that decision to come after the Giants see exactly how well he can protect Eli...If he's not up to speed then Ware would most likely get the start.
                    "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest.

But once he learns that, yeah, he could be a stud RB. It could be a few years though.[/quote]
                      Scott had 5 carries for 16 yards last year....you're nuts if you think we spent a first round draft pick for that kind of production.

I actually think he'll be getting most of the carries by the end of the season.

Comment

[quote user="egyptian420"][quote user="TuckYou"]Honestly, even being a first round pick, he is buried on the depth chart. Bradshaw and Ware are def ahead of him, and Scott might be as well. Wilson needs to learn how to pick up a blitz for Eli and how to hold the ball more securely before he gets snaps. I see him playing the role Scott did last season to be honest.

But once he learns that, yeah, he could be a stud RB. It could be a few years though.[/quote]
                        Scott had 5 carries for 16 yards last year....you're nuts if you think we spent a first round draft pick for that kind of production.

I actually think he'll be getting most of the carries by the end of the season.
                        [/quote]

If he doesn't improve on picking up the blitz or holding on to the ball, he won't be back there. If he does, he obviously will have more talent then Scott. No way he is our #1 back though, over Bradshaw.

Comment

Im sure the giants are confident that he can learn to pick up the blitz and curenhis fumbling issues. As far as taking over for Bradshaw, i dont think thats the right way to put it. Everyone knows this league has turned into a two back league. Interesting stat, in 2003, 14 running backs had 300+ carries, last year 2 of them did. The days of the work horse back are long past. Itll simply be our two most talented backs getting the majority of the touches, in my opinion that will be Bradshaw and Wilson. There is a reason Da'Rell Scott did not get much work last year, and he doesnt get bonus points for being there for a season, thats not how it works.

Comment

Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"]Rookie running backs on this team don't get major time until they prove they can protect the ball and protect the quarterback. Easy does it. It will all reveal itself in good time.[/quote]

And which of these "rookie running backs" have been a first round pick, or even a day 2 pick for that matter?? Wilson should without a doubt be the number 2 back going into week one barring any injuries. He is the most naturally talented back on the roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X