Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again...Why Didn´t We Resign Manningham?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again...Why Didn´t We Resign Manningham?

For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up. Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this. I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

Maybe I have the same jitters everyone had when Steve Smith and Boss left last year...

Re: Again...Why Didn´t We Resign Manningham?

[quote user="pdladder"]For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up.* Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this.* I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

Maybe I have the same jitters everyone had when Steve Smith and Boss left last year...
    [/quote]

He wanted to be a starter somewhere. We have no idea if he was offered a contract or not, and if he was, how much he was offered. He might have turned down a giants offer that was more than sf's for all we know, to get the chance to catch 85 a year. I understand his logic. Sign a two year deal with opportunity to perform in order to establish a higher worth in free agency two years from now. Make more money.

Secondly, how do you expect those guys to step up when manningham is already cemented in said role.

Comment

It doesn't matter any more to me.

Comment

Three main reasons: Cruz, Nicks and salary cap.

As far as Nicks being injury prone, he really hasn't missed that many games.... 5 or 6 total out of 3 seasons. Better than going on IR (god forbid) or missing half a season. Plus we just drafted Randle who I personally think has potential to be much more dangerous than Rio in this offense due to his size and speed. I'll take a 6'4 nfl ready nfl rookie opposite nicks with Cruz in the slot anyway than rio at 5'11 running the wrong routes all the time. Don't get me wrong I love what he did for this team especially in the super bowl and playoffs but I'm over it and ready to move on.

Comment

It bothers me too

If anyone blames the salary cap, they need to look at the numbers SF signed him too.

Comment

Cause he's nothing special? I mean yeah he was good for us, but he's replaceable.

Comment

[quote user="pdladder"]For the money he went for to SF, doesn´t it make sense to keep him around for two more years while Randle, JJ and whoever else step up.* Nicks is injury prone, I just never understood this.* I know he is a knucklehead and makes more than his fair share of mistakes on the field, but he would be coming off of a decent year, a really good post season and with that confidence in your #3, man it just doesn´t sit well that we didn´t seem to ¨want¨ him.

[/quote]

Maybe Cruz and Nicks made Manningham look better then he really was? You heard what New Englands coach told his players. Keep the ball from going to Cruz or Nicks.
              Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

He's def replaceable. I mean in a pass happy league we need targets for Eli,espec a slot wr. Everyone flipped about when Smith left saying he was irreplaceable...that turned out ok. I hope Hixon stays healthy and think Randle will fit in nicely.I dont trust Jernigan and Barden.

Off the subject....not much interest in Plax? I read a few rumors here and there about Tenn and Oakland interested.

Comment

[quote user="Neverend"]It bothers me too

If anyone blames the salary cap, they need to look at the numbers SF signed him too.[/quote]

It's not just this year's salary cap that's at issue. Nicks and Cruz definitely need to be re-signed/extended in the near future. Better for the long haul to let Mario go than risk either Nicks or Cruz.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="Neverend"]
                    If anyone blames the salary cap, they need to look at the numbers SF signed him too.[/quote]

lets see.

Manningham - 2 years, 7 mil total

Randle - 4 year 3.2 mil total

500 yards and 4 TDs is easily replaceable.

Comment

Manningwho?

Comment

I love this thread, the guy is the team savior because of one catch. If we'd lost to SF, Mario Manningham would have been to goat for dropping a sure touchdown pass in the endzone. But everybody forgets that because we ended up winning the game, with a huge boost from lady luck I might add.

Mario was a good receiver; but not worth top receiver money. He left because he wants to start; but he's far from a lock to start in SF.

Get over it, there are a pile of receivers just as good or better with a lot smaller price tag.

Comment

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Neverend"]

lets see.

500 yards and 4 TDs is easily replaceable.[/quote]

easily replaceable ?? are those numbers just from this years postseason?!

Comment

[quote user="Neverend"]It bothers me too

Still expensive for a 3rd WR who greatly benefits from the success of Nicks and Cruz. What makes you think he really wanted to stay here? Of course a player is going to make friendly PR statements about him wishing he could stay on his current team. That's business.

On the Giants it'll be too difficult for him to up his value because he has 2 top WRs in the league ahead of him. With the 49ers his competition is an old Randy Moss, an unproven Crabtree and a newly acquired rookie. He's in a good a situation out there to possibly land a starting gig which is his best chance at producing better numbers which in turn will put his agent in a better negotiating position for his next contract.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

[quote user="MattyD21"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Neverend"]

lets see.

500 yards and 4 TDs is easily replaceable.[/quote]

easily replaceable ?? are those numbers just from this years postseason?![/quote]

Manningham stats for the year(playoffs included) Rec -42 Yards-712 TD's- 7

Rueben Randle last year. Rec-53 yards-917 TD-8

I think he can replace Manningham's numbers :/
                              "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

Working...
                              X