Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we win another Superbowl would you call us a dynasty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we win another Superbowl would you call us a dynasty?

Personally, I wouldn't. I see a dynasty as a dominant team for many years. If you look at our regular season records we haven't been dominant.

Re: If we win another Superbowl would you call us a dynasty?

Yes ... We would be as close to a dynasty as possible in this salary cap parity era.. we've been pretty Damn consistent... We haven't had a losing season since 04 when losing seasons were every other year

Comment

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]Personally, I don't. I see a dynasty as a dominant team for many years. If you look at our regular season records we haven't been dominant.[/quote]

If we win another one with this group of guys and coaches in the next 3 yrs, wed be a dynasty w/o a doubt,

I personally believe we e already in dynasty mode, 2 sb wins in four yrs with an extremely young n talented roster with an elite qb...
      understand if others dont c it the way i do but im confident the world will c us as a dynasty after next season...if we can even simply get to another sb and not necessarily win, itd be amazing in todays fa era

Comment

Yes.
        I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

There's no real definition.

The ones that aren't arguable:

60's Packers (5 in 7 years)
          70's Steelers (4 in 6 years)
          90's Cowboys (3 in 4 years)
          00's Patriots (3 in 4 years)

If we can win another one we'd be a lot like the late 70's - early 80's Raiders who won 3 (76 80 83) and the 49ers (81 84 88 89).

I think most people would agree that the Raiders and 49ers were dynasties, right?
          8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

I agree

Comment

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]There's no real definition.

The ones that aren't arguable:

60's Packers (5 in 7 years)
              70's Steelers (4 in 6 years)
              90's Cowboys (3 in 4 years)
              00's Patriots (3 in 4 years)

If we can win another one we'd be a lot like the late 70's - early 80's Raiders who won 3 (76 80 83) and the 49ers (81 84 88 89).

I think most people would agree that the Raiders and 49ers were dynasties, right?
              [/quote]

The 49ers were def a dynasty. They had the same core group throughout those years. I don't believe that many people consider the Raiders a dynasty they are often forgotten. They were overshadowed by the Steelers mostly and the 49ers a bit. They also had different coaches and starting QBs.
              IDK if I would consider us a dynasty. I guess it depends when we win another one and in what fashion we do it. I think many people won't consider us a dynasty because the perception is we got "hot" during our SB titles and had mediocre regular seasons. We’ll see though. Gotta win the 3rd first.
              NYG

Comment

If we won the SB again within the next few years I think it would come down to how we do in the playoffs during the non-SB years. To be a dynasty you ought to be a contender throughout most of your era and we haven't quite lived up to that in recent seasons.

Comment

[quote user="KidA"]If we won the SB again within the next few years I think it would come down to how we do in the playoffs during the non-SB years.* To be a dynasty you ought to be a contender throughout most of your era and we haven't quite lived up to that in recent seasons.
                  [/quote]

I really think you've summed it up. They need to be consistant for a long period of time, right now they are not. Add a few more years going deep into the playoffs and another SB win in 2 or 3 years then yes.

Comment

Normally, I'd say without a doubt. However, there's one difference between us, if we win another one, and say the Patriots or the Steelers. The Pats and Steelers are good pretty much every year and are a lock to make the playoffs. Since 2007, we've missed the playoffs twice. We aren't what you'd call a convincing team. Dynasties imo, need to be convincing.

There's a reason why we're always getting disrespected.

Consistency is key.

Comment

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="AllTuckedUp"]Personally, I don't. I see a dynasty as a dominant team for many years. If you look at our regular season records we haven't been dominant.[/quote]

If we win another one with this group of guys and coaches in the next 3 yrs, wed be a dynasty w/o a doubt,

I personally believe we e already in dynasty mode, 2 sb wins in four yrs with an extremely young n talented roster with an elite qb...
                      understand if others dont c it the way i do but im confident the world will c us as a dynasty after next season...if we can even simply get to another sb and not necessarily win, itd be amazing in todays fa era[/quote]

And right here is where the 2 SBs in 4yrs breaks down. You measure dynasties by seasons. The Pats were 3 in 4 seasons, as were the Cowboys. For comparison, we have 2 in 5 seasons, not 2 in 4.

Comment

Nope. At least three in a short period of time. The Pats where the last team that I know of that had a dynasty.

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"]Normally, I'd say without a doubt. However, there's one difference between us, if we win another one, and say the Patriots or the Steelers. The Pats and Steelers are good pretty much every year and are a lock to make the playoffs. Since 2007, we've missed the playoffs twice. We aren't what you'd call a convincing team. Dynasties imo, need to be convincing.

There's a reason why we're always getting disrespected.

Consistency is key.[/quote]

Good points but there is some mitigation to be said.

On the Pats and Steelers and 49ers -- dominating the division is key. The Pats have owned the AFC East lock stock and barrel largely because the rest of the franchises are pathetic. Not that the Pats aren't good, they are, but they fatten up on the crappy teams in their division and pretty much cakewalk to the division title. Same of the 49ers, the rest of the NFC West was abysmal. As for the Steelers I don't remember what the division looked like in the late 70s but probably Browns, Bengals for starters.

Hard to dominate the NFC East... The Jimmy Johnson era Cowboy dynasty got lucky in that the Giants and Redskins (coming off consecutive Super Bowl wins themselves, I might add) got old real fast.

On our consistency, it looks worse than it is.

- No losing seasons since 2004
                          - Record since 2005 is something like 68-44
                          - Made playoffs 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 (and deserved to at 10-6 in 2010). That leaves one season where we didn't deserve the playoffs during our run, 2009.
                          - 8-3 playoff record
                          - Won division 3x
                          - Start off 6-2 every year (except 2008, 7-1)

Not exactly the 70s Steelers but consistent in their own inconsistent way.

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

[quote user="Mohann"]
                            And right here is where the 2 SBs in 4yrs breaks down. You measure dynasties by seasons. The Pats were 3 in 4 seasons, as were the Cowboys. For comparison, we have 2 in 5 seasons, not 2 in 4.
                            [/quote]

This is why I asked about the Raiders (76-80-83).

Also, note the 49ers dynasty (81-84-88-89). I think it's the back-to-back at the end that cements it. If they didn't win in 89, would 81-84-88 be good enough to call them a dynasty? Does anybody remember if the press called them a dynasty when they won in 88?

Comment

Are there Elite Dynasties that we have to differentiate from regular old run-of-the-mill dynasties? I get so confused!!

WHEN we win another Super Bowl, I'll be shickled titless - that's all I know!

Comment

Working...
                              X