Steve smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve smith

Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too

Re: Steve smith

[quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]

Steve Smith is an injured slot reciever who is good when healthy.

Victor Cruz is an uninjured slot reciever who is great when healthy.

No grudge required.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]

No grudge required.[/quote]

Kinda hard to argue with this one. Wish SS the best now that he isn't with a division rival. But to think he will get back to his 1200yd mark is hard to imagine. Definitely a sure handed receiver. He now has quickness and durability concerns.

Comment

[quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]

Players come and go every season. The Giants rely on their process of developing players and quality roster depth so that they can insert the "next man up" when we lose a player to injury, free agency, etc.

It works. All of the hand wringing when Smith and Boss left was for naught. Reese provides the talent and Coughlin's coaches get them NFL ready.

I don't think Smith did himself any favors by leaving on a sour note, but Reese is a business man and will always do whart's best for the team. We just don't need Steve Smith.

Comment

I don't know how anyone can still be upset after what Victor Cruz did last season.

I don't think he'd have been an adequate replacement for Mario because he's a different kind of receiver. Mario stretches the field, whereas Smith goes over the middle.

I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. He simply isn't needed.

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]
            I don't know how anyone can still be upset after what Victor Cruz did last season.

I don't think he'd have been an adequate replacement for Mario because he's a different kind of receiver. Mario stretches the field, whereas Smith goes over the middle.

I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. He simply isn't needed.[/quote]

That's how I feel about Phil Simms and a few others.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

He could collect a pay check while riding the pine watching the Victor Cruz Show® on the field.

I think he hasn't proven that he can still play on that knee. Either way there's no real spot for him here considering Cruz is our slot guy.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

Maybe he did kick the tires, and didn't like the feel of them. Who knows, maybe JR even made an offer, but Smith and his agent felt better about another offer.

JR will do what's best for the team. Holding grudges isn't best for the team.

Comment

[quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]I predict that Mario will do good with the 49ers and I liked him very much. Soon another wr was drafted in the high rounds and I forgot about those other players Smith and Mario and you should as well.

Comment

Everybody pretty much nailed. SS just isnt needed.

If Reese was the kind of player to hold grudges he wulda traded Osi and never had a meeting with Plax.

Yeah Plax didnt sign with us but thats not on account of Reese.
                    sigpic
                    BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"Once a Giant, always a Giant"

Balderdash.

How many players are ever brought back?

Should be:

"Once a Giant, once a Giant."

That being said, it seems to be working, so who's to argue?

Comment

[quote user="thomsoad"]Everybody pretty much nailed. SS just isnt needed.

If Reese was the kind of player to hold grudges he wulda traded Osi and never had a meeting with Plax.

Yeah Plax didnt sign with us but thats not on account of Reese.[/quote]
                        I agree and I'd like to add, I don't think Reese holds a grudge but I do believe that the class and respect the Giants have would prevent a trade with Smith from happening.

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]

SS was great when healthy. Pro Bowler that led the league in 3rd down receptions for first downs.

No grudge required.[/quote]
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Not this again
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="RichGiants81"]Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too[/quote]

I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. He simply isn't needed.[/quote]

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious because I really loved smith and Mario. Obviously I love Cruz, I was on his band wagon from day one and was really upset when they IRed him in 2011 and when there was talk this year about him not making the team. My point is that it would be nice to have smith back in the rotation with nicks and Cruz... Those two aren't both gonna play all 16 games, hopefully I'm wrong on that. But he would have been affordable and a great player for depth and for certain situations like a crucial 3rd and 7 in the red zone

Comment

Working...
                              X