• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BETTER NFL OFFENSE: GIANTS OR SAINTS?

BETTER NFL OFFENSE: GIANTS OR SAINTS?

"
    The Lions and Packers have advanced to the second round of PFW’s “In the
    Trenches” bracket to decide the best offense in the NFL. But in today’s matchup,
    the Super Bowl-champion Giants face off against the record-setting Saints. Which
    team has the better offense?

Here’s what PFW’s editors think of the matchup:

Associate editor Kevin Fishbain:
    "Saints. Even though I'd
    take the Giants' receivers over the Saints', and the gap between Brees and
    Manning isn't as big as it used to be, New Orleans gets the edge thanks to Jimmy
    Graham and Darren Sproles. Graham has turned into one of the game's best tight
    ends and is lethal in the red zone. Like Graham, Sproles is a matchup nightmare
    and provided quite the dynamic to the Saints' offense in 2011. The Giants can't
    match what those two bring."

Managing editor Mike Holbrook:
    "The Saints earn a slight
    edge in my book, though this is a tough call. Drew Brees is a bit more
    consistent than Eli Manning, Jimmy Graham is much better than any tight end the
    Giants have and New Orleans’ WR depth is better. One concern is how the Saints
    handle the absence of ace play-caller Sean Payton this season — that could be a
    crippling blow to their attack."

Associate editor Arthur Arkush:
    "Not to take anything
    away from the Super Bowl champions, who are extremely dangerous in their own
    right, but arguably no offense in the NFL hums the way the Saints does when it’s
    firing on all cylinders. New Orleans poses a plethora of mismatch nightmares for
    its opponents, what with Darren Sproles’ speed and Jimmy Graham’s great size and
    athleticism, and it has theperfect triggerman, Drew Brees, to light up a
    scoreboard quickly. Eli Manning was tremendous last season, but he doesn’t match
    the efficiency or accuracy of Brees, and the Giants’ running game was virtually
    nonexistent until the postseason. It says here New Orleans is the far more
    dynamic offense."

Associate editor Eli Kaberon:
    "This matchup came down to
    two positions, and no, quarterback wasn't one of them. Eli Manning and Drew
    Brees are equals in my view, but the Giants have nobody like Jimmy Graham at
    tight end or Darren Sproles in their backfield. Graham and Sproles are so
    difficult to defend because of their speed and versatility, making the Saints'
    offense dynamic on so many different levels. New Orleans scored 20 or more
    points in all 18 games they played last season, a sign of talent and
    consistency."

Editor-in-chief Keith Schleiden:
    "Even with Sean Payton
    out of the picture in 2012, the Saints will remain one of the NFL’s most
    productive offensive teams — much more potent than the defending Super
    Bowl-champion Giants. With an embarrassment of riches at his disposal, QB Drew
    Brees appears to lead his Saints up and down the field almost effortlessly. Last
    season, the Saints scored 30 or more points in 10-of-16 regular-season games —
    and then did it again in both of their playoff games. The Giants? They did so
    only four times in the regular season, and then once in four postseason
    games."

Senior editor Eric Edholm:
    "The Giants are a very
    effective offense, one that thrived a year ago despite a consistent run game
    until the playoffs, and they should be even better off with first-round RB David
    Wilson in the fold. But a lot of their points come off good field position and
    turnovers because of their defense and special teams. The Saints are explosive
    on offense, able to flip the field with a play or two, and they have done so
    over the past five seasons without always having the benefit of having a great
    defense or good starting field position. Not having Sean Payton — or if Drew
    Brees is angered about his contract situation —won’t affect that greatly. The
    Giants might be the more complete team, but offensively speaking, the Saints are
    the more dangerous attack."

Executive editor Dan Arkush:
    "My pick is the Saints.
    Jimmy Graham at the tight end position and Darren Sproles all over the place
    give the Saints a dimension that the Giants don’t have. I also think the Saints
    collectively have a better ground game than the Giants, but we’ll see if the
    Wilson kid out of Virginia Tech narrows the gap in the Giants’ favor. Both he
    and No. 2 pick WR Rueben Randle figure to provide an immediate impact for the
    Giants. But the Saints still look a bit more potent to me."

Senior editor Mike Wilkening:
    "I very much respect the
    Giants’ offense, but I give the Saints’ attack the edge here. The New Orleans
    offense just does not have many weaknesses whatsoever. The line is very good,
    the pass-catching corps is strong, the RB depth chart is loaded. And the
    quarterback is an MVP-caliber performer."

Associate editor Dan Parr:
    "The Saints scored nearly 10
    points more per game than the Giants in 2011, a season in which New Orleans set
    a league record for yards gained. I like Eli Manning's wide receivers more than
    the New Orleans receiving corps, but the Saints get at least a slight edge at
    running back and on the offensive line. They also have a huge advantage at tight
    end with Jimmy Graham, and quarterback is close to even."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: BETTER NFL OFFENSE: GIANTS OR SAINTS?

100% saints across the boards lol. can't be too upset because I agree with them
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

HERE'S THE CUE FOR NEW YORK GIANTS HOMERS

Saints 100%, obvious choice right there.

Comment

100% Saints, but the Giants have a darn good offense, too. And I'll go with the Pack's offense over the Giants as well.

Comment

Easily the Saints.
          Don't care though , we won the Super Bowl with the offense we have.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

[quote user="JJC7301"]100% Saints, but the Giants have a darn good offense, too. And I'll go with the Pack's offense over the Giants as well.[/quote]

I really love how we clobbered the packers this year though. The SB was great but the resounding and demoralizing defeat of the packers kept me up for about 2 nights thinking about how awesome it was.

Saints are incredible offence, But their flip a coin style of defence lets them down big time. Also the saints got their SB but it was more then farve and peterson gave them the division with one of the greatest chokes ever.

They saints have our number and can small smash weaker teams, but in a game that mattered I really do feel we would elevate our game and outscore them.
            Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

[quote user="GmenFan1980"]100% saints across the boards lol. can't be too upset because I agree with them[/quote]

Same here, but amazed at how many people are putting Eli at the same level as Brees. Who would have thought we'd hear that 9 months ago?
              8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Saints imo, but i do think we have the better wrs. saints have the better rb//te/and ol imo.

The gap isnt huge tho, giants offense is right behind them...i think coaching philosophy is relevant too. Payton has no issue running up the score and throwing it downfield until the final seconds whereas tc is more conservative and we take the foot off the gas pedal once we r comfortably ahead

Comment

Giants have a very good offense with big play threats but they arent on the same level as the Saints

Comment

We lack the safety valves that the Saints have. A receiving threat out of the backfield and a TE that's matchup nightmare for defenses. Those are the ultimate security blankets for a QB.

I wouldn't say Bradshaw has poor receiving ability though, I think our offensive scheme just doesn't involve enough gimmick plays. Not just screen passes, but other safe high percentage throws to the RB's out of the backfield. The Saints and Eagles run them a lot.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

Better offense is Saints offense indoors vs Saints outdoors.

Better team are the NYG.

Comment

saints def have a better offense. good receivers, more dynamic backs, terrific TE and QB, and IMO the best offensive gameplan in the NFL.

gmen still have a darn good offense, but the saints are probably either best or 2nd best offense in the NFL alongside GB.

Comment

I mean.

You can say the Saints but lets not act like its a no brainer.

We do have the better Quarterback and the better WRs and our production doesn't dip dramatically just because we're playing outside. Food for thought.
                          My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

The saints win this argument, period. Not by much though.
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote user="burier"]I mean. You can say the Saints but lets not act like its a no brainer. We do have the better Quarterback and the better WRs and our production doesn't dip dramatically just because we're playing outside. Food for thought.[/quote]

offense = a collective. Not individuals. You can't just compare by position QBs, WRs, etc. If that's the case, then the eagles should also be near the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X