Tuck says: "Osi deserves to get paid"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuck says: "Osi deserves to get paid"

NEW YORK (WFAN) – Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora has just $3.975 million remaining on his seven-year contract.

It’s a bargain. He knows it, and apparently so does Justin Tuck.

“It’s hard. He signed a contract and I believe in abiding by that contract,” Tuck told CBS Sports’ Jim Rome on Tuesday. “But also I think he’s outplayed that contract. And with today’s market with how some of these defensive ends are getting paid lots of money, I think he deserves to get paid.”

Umenyiora has been outspoken this offseason about his contract status, and so far has been a no-show for Giants OTAs. He could hold out of training camp in Albany if the impasse can’t be resolved.

“He’s very important,” Tuck said on the “ROME” show. “He’s a great defensive end, and has had a very successful career with the Giants. … We know each other very well, know how to play off each other, had a lot of success together.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...s-to-get-paid/

------

Well, you have to take in the fact that it was a front loaded contract. He got most of the money already. So yeah, he is "only" getting about 4M this year, but what about the years past?

7 yr 41M = just under 6M a year.

Re: Tuck says: "Osi deserves to get paid"

Odd for him to speak out like this...
    And it's interesting, because Tuck himself deserves to get paid - he just doesn't complain about it.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

NEW YORK (WFAN) – Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora has just $3.975 million remaining on his seven-year contract.

“It’s hard. He signed a contract and I believe in abiding by that contract,” Tuck told CBS Sports’ Jim Rome on Tuesday. “But also I think he’s outplayed that contract. And with today’s market with how some of these defensive ends are getting paid lots of money, I think he deserves to get paid.”

Umenyiora has been outspoken this offseason about his contract status, and so far has been a no-show for Giants OTAs. He could hold out of training camp in Albany if the impasse can’t be resolved.

“He’s very important,” Tuck said on the “ROME” show. “He’s a great defensive end, and has had a very successful career with the Giants. … We know each other very well, know how to play off each other, had a lot of success together.”

------

Well, you have to take in the fact that it was a front loaded contract. He got most of the money already. So yeah, he is "only" getting about 4M this year, but what about the years past?

[/quote]

Another Osi thread? LOL
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Odd for him to speak out like this...
        And it's interesting, because Tuck himself deserves to get paid - he just doesn't complain about it.[/quote]

Tuck has always said Osi should be paid.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="TuckYou"]

------

[/quote]

Another Osi thread? LOL
          [/quote]

lol, how long were you holding on to that one?

Anyway, Id say this is more a Tuck thread. :-)

This is Tucks way of saying "I deserve more too." without actually saying it. I hope JPP doesnt follow.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="TuckYou"]

------

[/quote]

Another Osi thread? LOL
            [/quote]

lol, how long were you holding on to that one?

Anyway, Id say this is more a Tuck thread. :-)

This is Tucks way of saying "I deserve more too." without actually saying it. I hope JPP doesnt follow.

[/quote]

A little hypocritical, no?

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

------

[/quote]Osi claims those reported numbers are wrong he says his deal is closer to 30 Million

Comment

Now Kiwanuka is talking about Osis deal as well.

Comment

Funny how any time Osi talks a 10 page thread is started. But when Tuck comes out and says Osi is very important and that he deserves to be paid, all of the Tuck lovers who love to bash Osi have nothing to say.

Comment

[quote user="nhpgiantsfan"]Funny how any time Osi talks a 10 page thread is started. But when Tuck comes out and says Osi is very important and that he deserves to be paid, all of the Tuck lovers who love to bash Osi have nothing to say.[/quote]

I wouldn't read too much into that. There are only 10 posters here, for the most part. It's a very slow news cycle. This also isn't really news since Tuck has said all of this before.

Comment

Bros b4 hos

Comment

I don't like it when players talk about this sort of stuff with the media. It's so easy to say "Yeah my teammate deserves a new contract." What about the effect it has on his other teammates chances at getting contracts? Like the cap space that will be needed to sign guys like Cruz and Nicks in the upcoming years. They are actually starters at their position.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

[quote user="BeatYale"]I don't like it when players talk about this sort of stuff with the media. It's so easy to say "Yeah my teammate deserves a new contract." What about the effect it has on his other teammates chances at getting contracts? Like the cap space that will be needed to sign guys like Cruz and Nicks in the upcoming years. They are actually starters at their position.[/quote]

I would prefer they keep their noses out of their teammates' business. Having said that, I don't see much harm in supporting another player but I also don't see it helping anyone involved in the process. All contract conversations should be private, like Kiwanuka's was.

For those who simply say "pay him" without a thought to where the CAP space is and how we then find the money for other play makers are just thinking like fans. Understandable, but not always logical.

Comment

[quote user="nhpgiantsfan"]Funny how any time Osi talks a 10 page thread is started. But when Tuck comes out and says Osi is very important and that he deserves to be paid, all of the Tuck lovers who love to bash Osi have nothing to say.[/quote]

Here's something to say: How much of his salary will Tuck give up to keep Osi?
                            8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

I'm sure this thread just like all the others involving Osi as of late will be productive and insightful

Comment

Working...
                              X