hire replacement officials.

I like it.

Re: Replacement Officials

[quote user="fizzlestick"]

Talks between NFL and officials for new
    deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to

I like it.

[/quote]Excellent idea, we need a significant upgrade and also need to shave the average age of officials by about 15 years. The game moves too fast for many of the current officials.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Definitely need some younger guys out there

Comment

This is all yibber yabber to give the NFL some negotiating leverage. The same old guys will be there come the beginning of the season.

Comment

[quote user="sg92"]This is all yibber yabber to give the NFL some negotiating leverage. The same old guys will be there come the beginning of the season.[/quote]
          I believe this to be true. Too bad though, the league could use some younger blood. They couldn't be any worse.

Comment

Maybe they will disband their union too.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="fizzlestick"]

I like it.

[/quote]Excellent idea, we need a significant upgrade and also need to shave the average age of officials by about 15 years. The game moves too fast for many of the current officials.[/quote]

Except Ed Hochuli, he is bigger than some of the players. I think when he says something they listen...and are somewhat intimidated.

Comment

[quote user="fizzlestick"]

I like it.

[/quote]
                Yeah, because the full time officials were so spot on, these replacements are going to be better?

Really?

Comment

I like the idea of getting younger officials. people tend to get too relaxed in their current roles, and fresh blood is needed to keep everyone on their toes so to speak. And yes, having a bunch of 60 year olds is hardly adequate for officiating some of the best athletes in the world
                  However, I dont think this news is going to cause a change. most likely this is just to keep these guys in check during contract issues.
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

[quote user="JPizzack"]I like the idea of getting younger officials. people tend to get too relaxed in their current roles, and fresh blood is needed to keep everyone on their toes so to speak. And yes, having a bunch of 60 year olds is hardly adequate for officiating some of the best athletes in the world
                    However, I dont think this news is going to cause a change. most likely this is just to keep these guys in check during contract issues.[/quote]
                    How do we know the replacement officials are going to be younger? How do we know it's not going to be a bunch of retired college officials?

Officiating will have a serious drop if we have replacements. We will have a bunch of guys out there, even if young, that are not as familiar with the nuances of rules of professional football as the officials we have now.

Comment

[quote user="Drez"]Yeah, because the full time officials were so spot on, these replacements are going to be better?

Really?
                      [/quote]

with long tenures comes relaxed tendancies, and complacence.
                      New officials would make a difference as far as I'm concerned.

Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

I will gladly volunteer myself to ref all the eagles games.

Comment

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Definitely need some younger guys out there[/quote]Yeah, the NFL said they are training the replacements right now. I just can see the kind of training they are getting: "Hey new guys, if the team has a NY logo on their helmet, you call a penalty often. If you are not sure if it is a penalty, call it anyway, but don't be stupid to ask on camera the opposing player if it was the right call."

Comment

[quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="Drez"]Yeah, because the full time officials were so spot on, these replacements are going to be better?

Really?
                            [/quote]

with long tenures comes relaxed tendancies, and complacence.
                            New officials would make a difference as far as I'm concerned.

[/quote]
                            New officials hired in a normal way that go through proper training and guidance, yes, probably would make a difference. New officials hired in a hurry and rushed into a job, probably not.

Ask yourself this: Are replacement athletes an improvement?

Comment

Having replacement officials can be a bad thing for the NFL overall. Chances of missed or wrong calls goes way up. These guys won't have the experience.

My initial thought was also, Great officiating needed an upgrade! but this may not necessarily be an upgrade, it could be a serious downgrade from the mess that it already was.

Comment

Working...
                              X