ANOTHER FORMER GIANT WHO LEFT FOR MORE $$$$$$ IS DONE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER FORMER GIANT WHO LEFT FOR MORE $$$$$$ IS DONE

Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped.

1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing.

2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered.

3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process

4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team.

5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast.

We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players.

I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.

Re: ANOTHER FORMER GIANT WHO LEFT FOR MORE $$$$$$ IS DONE

What "other side"? Is cash not the ultimate measure of success in this world? Why should it be any different to professional athletes?
    Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?

Comment

I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys the Giants let go don't always fare well elsewhere. I mean, there's a reason they let them walk.

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"]What "other side"? Is cash not the ultimate measure of success in this world? Why should it be any different to professional athletes?
        Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?[/quote]

Not always in this business. There is a cap in this profession and not every one can get a big pay day especially if you are on a great team like the Giants. Success in this business doesn't always mean more money with this cap. Like I said its my opinion and I know many might not agree. If there was no cap then it would be a different situation.

Comment

Did Giants even actively pursue re-signing Ward with Bradshaw waiting in the wings?

Quit reveling in others' postGiants inadequacies. With exception of Jacobs [who was one of the few who offered to cut legitimate salaries], all of those guys became free agents, and earned their right to pursue financial security for them and their families.

What exactly have you done to speak on their "success" or lack of it?

Comment

This happens to most players that leave teams for more money. Free Agency is very overrated. It's better used filling holes than signing big names. The big name signings bust more often than not.

Comment

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped. 1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing. 2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered. 3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process 4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team. 5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast. We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players. I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.[/quote]

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles. As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .

Comment

Derreck Ward will be 32 when the season starts. Not really about leaving the Giants as its the fact he is a 32 year old RB.Ward never got a pay day until he left the Giants. Leaving finicially was the smartest thing he did. He wouldnt of made more money here

Comment

[quote user="NY_Eli"]I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys the Giants let go don't always fare well elsewhere. I mean, there's a reason they let them walk.[/quote]

You got it.

Comment

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped. 1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing. 2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered. 3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process 4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team. 5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast. We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players. I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.[/quote]

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles.* As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .

[/quote]He might never be 100% good thing he took the money. If he didnt he would be in the same situation with half the cash.
                    All these guys with the exception of Manningham and Jacobs got significantly bigger contracts. I love how people act if they were in their shoes and a team offered u 20 why the Giants offered 10 u wouldnt do the same. Jacobs leaving to me didnt make much sense. He didnt get much more in SF with basically no guaranteed money. Its almost like he just didnt want to be here. Manninghams contract was rather modest but im not sure the Giants even offered him money.

Comment

[quote user="bLuereverie"]Did Giants even actively pursue re-signing Ward with Bradshaw waiting in the wings? Quit reveling in others' postGiants inadequacies. With exception of Jacobs [who was one of the few who offered to cut legitimate salaries], all of those guys became free agents, and earned their right to pursue financial security for them and their families. What exactly have you done to speak on their "success" or lack of it?[/quote]NYGs Staff are very good at evaluating talent. they have let guys go time and time again to go with pretty much unknowns.. It has worked out in our favor everytime. That is no coincidence. and the list is even longer then what he put down..

I think

Tabor can be added.

K. Mitchell

Fred Robbins

Cofield

Ross (we will see)

Goff (we will see)

toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)

Let Strahan and Tiki and Tyree retire. could have tried to make them play another season... turns out we didnt need them.

Plax being released for his troubles... turns out in the long run we didnt need him. in 08 we did.

Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

[quote user="miked1958"]toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)[/quote]

Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?

Comment

[quote user="ebick"][quote user="miked1958"]toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)[/quote] Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?[/quote]that i agree with. he should have retired a NYG
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped.

1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing.

2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered.

3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process

4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team.

5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast.

We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players.

I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.[/quote]

So you get to rewrite history as well as predict a gloomy future for each of these guys? I don't understand the "ex-girlfriend" mentality with these ex-Giants. You know, when a girl breaks up with you and you then have to convince yourself that she's not that pretty or bad in bed or something. Then you hope that she ends up with some ******* that treats her badly. That's exactly what you're doing here...

1. Gibril Wilson got PAID to play for Oak and posted 129 tackles before getting cut. Got PAID to play with Miami for a year and then picked up by Cincy. He blew out his knee in 2010 but this will be his 3rd season with the Bengals. He's still playing.

2. Boss, got PAID to play for Oak while recovering from an injury (the reason we didn't offer him a bigger contract). You said Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered...he got clobbered several times while Eli was throwing him the ball. That's football. He's still playing.

3. Steve Smith got paid by the Eagles to recover from a severe knee injury. His career is in jeapordy because of that injury, not because he went "to the Dark Side". He's still playing.

4 and 5. Jacobs and Manningham STILL PLAYING.

Ward is 31. That is the reason he is no longer playing. There is no guarantee that these players would have long successful careers if they
                            stayed with the Giants. The front office is excellent at evaluating
                            talent and offering a fair value for their players (that's why we're a successful team). I don't blame any of these players for taking the money. Football careers are short.

Once a Giant, always a Giant.

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles. As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .

[/quote]He might never be 100% good thing he took the money. If he didnt he would be in the same situation with half the cash. All these guys with the exception of Manningham and Jacobs got significantly bigger contracts. I love how people act if they were in their shoes and a team offered u 20 why the Giants offered 10 u wouldnt do the same. Jacobs leaving to me didnt make much sense. He didnt get much more in SF with basically no guaranteed money. Its almost like he just didnt want to be here. Manninghams contract was rather modest but im not sure the Giants even offered him money.[/quote]

Agreed. I don't blame anny of these guys for getting the most money they can get.

It's just silly how some fans act like jilted schoolgirls when a FA leaves to go to another team for more money. It may be emotional for the fans, but it's a business for the teams and players . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X