On paper this might be the best defense we've ever had

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On paper this might be the best defense we've ever had

Think about it, we have probowl level talent at almost every position on our defense and probably the deepest CB depth in the league.

Except for maybe the 86 defense and that is mainly just because of LT / Carson / Banks.

Overall, I think this defense has more potential.

I can't wait for this season!

Re: On paper this might be the best defense we've ever had

I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

Just need to bubble-wrap those ACLs.

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

Just need to bubble-wrap those ACLs.[/quote]

lol. That unit shows very little promise. Anything short of a total implosion will be a pleasant surprise.

Our only hope is Rivers somehow playing like a stud.

People are being delusional. We were one of the worst defenses in the league last season and did very little to upgrade the personel.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

lol. That unit shows very little promise. Anything short of a total implosion will be a pleasant surprise.

People are being delusional. We were one of the worst defenses in the league last season and did very little to upgrade the personel.[/quote]
        A lot of that personnel was on IR last season.

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

People are being delusional. We were one of the worst defenses in the league last season and did very little to upgrade the personel.[/quote]
          A lot of that personnel was on IR last season.[/quote]

Who?
          My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

... and one of the best during the postseasons

Comment

With Boley being the best tackler in the league and Kiwi be one of the best run stopping LBs in the league I don't see how you have come to that conclusion.
              Emperor Tom

Comment

It'll also be the third year under Fewell.

Comment

[quote user="NWKEffectElement"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

With Boley being the best tackler in the league and Kiwi be one of the best run stopping LBs in the league I don't see how you have come to that conclusion.[/quote]

One thing about Boley is he played completely out of his mind last season. Much better than he had ever played in his career so we may want to wait and see if he can double it up.

Your comment on Kiwi is pure fiction.

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

Who?[/quote]
                    You somehow missed the rookie backers starting, the revolving door at DB, and players playing out of position?
                    That defense redefined "banged up"

From memory:

IR:

Terrell Thomas
                    Justin Tryon
                    Brian Witherspoon
                    Bruce Johnson
                    Michael Coe
                    Brian Jackson
                    Goff
                    Sintim
                    Marvin Austin

Missed time:

Tuck
                    Osi
                    Prince
                    Derrick Martin
                    Boley
                    Herzlich

Comment

I've debated this before. When they got healthy in the second to last game of the season hey where a better team.

Tuck is a top DE in this league and was not healthy until the Jets game. Osi missed half the season. Their secondary was destroyed with injuries. They where using rookie LB's in a lock out season and eventually had to get a guy to play LB that was sitting at home.

If they stay healhy they are a good unit and on paper they do seem stacked.

Comment

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Flip Empty"]I'm glad people have finally stopped whinging about the lack of a "stud" LB'er. This unit looks really promising.

Who?[/quote]
                        You somehow missed the rookie backers starting, the revolving door at DB, and players playing out of position?
                        That defense redefined "banged up"

From memory:

IR:

Terrell Thomas
                        Justin Tryon
                        Brian Witherspoon
                        Bruce Johnson
                        Michael Coe
                        Brian Jackson
                        Goff
                        Sintim
                        Marvin Austin

Missed time:

Tuck
                        Osi
                        Prince
                        Derrick Martin
                        Boley
                        Herzlich[/quote]

So lets break your list down.

T2: Tore the same ACL for the second time. NO reason at all to believe he's going to provide anything for us this season.

Tryon, Witherspoon , Johnson, Coe, Jackson: All depth players. Those guys being IRed is no excuse for how we played last season.

Goff: *Scoff* In his one year as a starter he posted 54 solos in 16 games. I'm gonna say that his production should have been easily replaced.

Sintim: Has shown zero ability to crack our starting lineup ie He wouldn't have been playing anyway.

Austin: Was a rookie complaining about him not being in the lineup is like saying you miss something you never had.

As far as the guys who missed time. Guess what? Its the NFL players are going to miss time again this season I guarantee it. If you're going to use injuries as an excuse prepare to spend your entire time as fan making excuses.

When its all laid out we really weren't all that hurt last season. We just didn't play well. We definately turned it on in the playoffs and I know alot of people feel like winning the SB means we can ignore all of our shortcumming but I"m gonna side with Eli on this one

"We were 9-7 last year."

Comment

You are right. Injuries were not an excuse for um, winning the SB.
                          Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

[quote user="Warchild"]Think about it, we have probowl level talent at almost every position on our defense and probably the deepest CB depth in the league.

Except for maybe the 86 defense and that is mainly just because of LT / Carson / Banks.

Overall, I think this defense has more potential.

I can't wait for this season![/quote]

I respectfully disagree. For it to be deemed "the best defense we've ever had", there shouldn't be any question marks on it or any what ifs. We still have questions at linebacker and at the CB position. Just my piece.
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote user="burier"] If you're going to use injuries as an excuse prepare to spend your entire time as fan making excuses.

When its all laid out we really weren't all that hurt last season. We just didn't play well. We definately turned it on in the playoffs and I know alot of people feel like winning the SB means we can ignore all of our shortcumming but I"m gonna side with Eli on this one

"We were 9-7 last year."[/quote]
                              Why didn't they play well early in the season? Maybe because they were constantly readjusting to new personnel - personnel which previously had not been prepared to start? Maybe because they were fielding adifferent lineup every other week?

They lost players five levels deep in the secondary - that's unheard of.

They had to force low-ranked rookies into the starting lineup.

They had to sign someone off of his couch.

Why did they turn it on in the playoffs? Maybe because they finally got healthy and found some stability?

I don't know how you can say they "weren't all that hurt" last season. You're arguing a fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X