All in for Joe Martinek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in for Joe Martinek

I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I really think he offers us a 3d down back spot and maybe more. We lost several games with tip toe Jacobs. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, I think I can see a player when I see one. He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, combining speed, power, and running ability. If I'm wrong, fine, but if you are one of these know it alls, forget answering this post.. I'll already admit that this is a stretch, but one can't help but hope.

Re: All in for Joe Martinek

I think he'll be a good player. He never really had a line at Rutgers, and hopefully he can transition and take the next step.

Comment

Well, he does 2 things that TC demands from his RB's:

1. He blocks for the QB
      2. He catches the ball well

At 224 lbs. he's gonna have to bulk up more IMO. And he doesn't look that explosive either. I like him too, but with Wilsonm, Ware, Scott & Brown in front of him he might start the season on the practice squad and then work his way up.

Comment

I dont see Martinek being anything more then a special teams player and MAYBE #3 on the RB depth chart. Not bashing the guy...but i see no realistic possiblity of him surplanting Bradshaw, Wilson, or even Ware. And im going out on a limb and saying he has no chance of beating out Hynoski.
        sigpic
        BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

[quote user="Cool Papa B."]Well, he does 2 things that TC demands from his RB's: 1. He blocks for the QB 2. He catches the ball well At 224 lbs. he's gonna have to bulk up more IMO. And he doesn't look that explosive either. I like him too, but with Wilsonm, Ware, Scott & Brown in front of him he might start the season on the practice squad and then work his way up.[/quote]Ware and Brown could easily be gone but that still puts him no better than #4. I wish him all the best but we've got guys who do what he does, only they do it better.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

both Ware and Brown have been warming benches for years now so if Martinek can't beat either of them out for a roster spot then he wouldn't be much good for the team anyway. Now having said that I have heard from sports writers that this kid has the goods and should have a decent career in the NFL...

Comment

[quote user="mainegiantsfan"]I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, .[/quote]

How exactly does Bradshaw not run hard? While i have watched Giants football for "only" 35+ years i would love for you to point out to me a harder running RB then Bradshaw. Bradshaws determined running is what endeared me to the kid in the first place!
              sigpic
              BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

All I can say is that if he hopes to make the final roster, he better play damn good ST's.

Comment

I don't dislike Ware, I just think he lacks a dynamic effect. What do I know though, he was just part of a Super Bowl winning team.

I like Martinek a lot and hope he makes the team. The problem he has is that they already have a least 4 guys ahead of him.

He is a a good blocker and plays bigger than he is. He can also catch the ball very well and has some good wheels. I just don't know if the have enough room for him. Bradshaw and Wilson will abviously make the team. Ware has the benefit of being in the team for a while. They drafted Scott jus last year and you don wan to give up on that kind of speed so soon. Brown was looking good in pre season last year as well.

Comment

If he can show something, he would be plus vs. Ware or Scott in terms of salary cap impact. He'll need to be a beast on ST which was stated earlier.
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I think if he makes the practice squad, that would be a good thing. Good to have a Jersey kid make the team. Seems like a pretty good paying job. I don't see him having the natural talent that people like Wilson or Bradshaw have. So starting in the NFL is probably a ways off for him.

Comment

[quote user="thomsoad"][quote user="mainegiantsfan"]I am very excited to watch Joe in pre-season. I am not an expert at football, but having watched for sixty years, He could be the hard runner we have lacked for years, .[/quote]

How exactly does Bradshaw not run hard? While i have watched Giants football for "only" 35+ years i would love for you to point out to me a harder running RB then Bradshaw. Bradshaws determined running is what endeared me to the kid in the first place![/quote]

true. but when I read the OP i took it to mean hard runner equated a literal rb with the sole purpose of being a power back. bradshaw, while he def. runs hard, isn't necessarily a power back. he tries to evade tackles as much as he'll try to truck some one, maybe more. his hard running is continuing to churn those legs even when he's wrapped up...the "hard runner" i took to mean short yardage, strictly power back who is going to run hard into the pile...just my take tho i see ur point.

Comment

How many RBs will they carry?

1) AB
                          2) Wilson
                          3) Scott/Brown
                          4) Ware
                          5) Joe M

IMO if none of the other guys show the ability to be able to block and pick up the blitz to protect Eli from getting creamed then Ware makes the team for that reason alone which means brown or Scott will be gone and joe on PS
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Other option is if Joe show something and they want to keep him then he can be a 2nd FB behind Hynoski depending on what happens withr the TE situation and Pascoe
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Yes, I meant short yardage. We have been lacking that power guy that can get the first down on short yardage. This would fill a major void for us, and as you pointed out, he has fine hands, so when he comes in they can't strictly key on him running into the line.
                              I appreciate the responses to my thread, keeping it realistic. I just see the potential here, that's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X