Clear All

• GIANTS' GREAT LAWRENCE TAYLOR BRINGS FREE FOOTBALL CAMP TO HACKENSACK

GIANTS' GREAT LAWRENCE TAYLOR BRINGS FREE FOOTBALL CAMP TO HACKENSACK

"Lawrence Taylor last played in the NFL before any of the 140 kids who
    attended his free football camp Friday at Hackensack
    High School were born.

They still greatly appreciated that one of the greatest players in football
    history spent an entire day with them.

"It's not every day that you meet a legend like that, where he comes to your
    school and does an all-day camp for everyone," said Brandon Davis, who'll be a
    senior wide receiver/defensive back for Hackensack
    next season. "It was a good time, a very fun experience."

Former Giants teammates Stephen Baker, Beasley Reese and Odessa Turner joined
    Taylor in coaching and counseling campers, as did fellow ex-Giant Tiki
    Barber.

The often-embattled Taylor taught and motivated kids Friday, but the
    Hall-of-Fame linebacker also encouraged them to make smart decisions. He wants
    them to avoid the types of damaging mistakes he has made off the field both
    during and after his celebrated career, most of which were the consequence of
    abusing alcohol and drugs.

"I was beyond pleased," said new Hackensack coach
    Benjie Wimberly, also a state assemblyman (D-Paterson).
    "I was really impressed with how LT dealt with the kids and the fans.

"He was really pleasant and the atmosphere was just really, really positive.
    Not to be cliché, but this was just a great teaching moment, to have him talk to
    kids about what he has been through, persevering and staying together with his
    family."

The camp, which was organized in conjunction with Boys & Girls Clubs of
    America, was the idea of two of Taylor's daughters, Paula and Tanisha. They
    contacted Wimberly in the spring through a mutual friend just after the former
    Paterson Catholic coach took over at Hackensack and were instrumental in running the camp.

"His daughters and son [T.J.] were unbelievable," said Wimberly, who didn't
    hesitate to work with the polarizing Taylor because he felt the camp could help
    so many kids. "They did it for their dad, not for notoriety or anything like
    that, but because he needs to get out and do these types of things. As good as
    it is for the kids to be around him, I think it was somewhat therapeutic for
    him, also."

Taylor, 53, has remained mostly out of the spotlight since he pled guilty in
    March 2011 to sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute misdemeanors after
    allegedly paying an underage girl $300 to have sex with him two years ago in a
    Suffern, N.Y., hotel room. He received six years probation as part of his plea
    agreement.

"Slowly but surely, he is getting his life back," said Wayne's Mark Lepselter, Taylor's agent. "His life is going
    forward. He's had his ups and downs — there's no doubt about that. But he has
    regained a lot of stability, the family has held together and his kids are very
    much a part of his life, thank God."

Taylor, a Miami resident, was the guest of honor at the Hackensack Football Pasta Dinner on Thursday night in Little Ferry. He told stories at the fundraiser and at
    the camp about all of his fond memories of Hackensack.

He often trained at Hackensack's field while he
    played for the Giants and lived in Upper Saddle
    River
    . Little Richard's Restaurant, on nearby First Street, was one of his
    favorite eateries.

"It actually brought back so many memories for me because I worked out on
    that field back in the day," said Taylor, who wants to conduct the camp again
    next year. "My daughters suggested we should do this, and I have to give them
    major applause for making it all come together.

"The coaches from Hackensack High and really
    everyone who pitched in, I was extremely appreciative."

The feeling was mutual, especially among the Hackensack players who are eager to begin the Comets'
    first season with Wimberly running the program.

"It definitely motivated us to work harder," said Jordan Coleman, who'll be a
    senior running back/linebacker next season. "We want to not just make [Taylor]
    proud, but make the rest of the city proud."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' GREAT LAWRENCE TAYLOR BRINGS FREE FOOTBALL CAMP TO HACKENSACK

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' GREAT LAWRENCE TAYLOR BRINGS FREE FOOTBALL CAMP TO HACKENSACK

High School were born.

Barber.

Not to be cliché, but this was just a great teaching moment, to have him talk to
    family."

Paterson Catholic coach took over at Hackensack and were instrumental in running the camp.

him, also."

agreement.

"Slowly but surely, he is getting his life back," said Wayne's Mark Lepselter, Taylor's agent. "His life is going

Taylor, a Miami resident, was the guest of honor at the Hackensack Football Pasta Dinner on Thursday night in Little Ferry. He told stories at the fundraiser and at

River
    favorite eateries.

The feeling was mutual, especially among the Hackensack players who are eager to begin the Comets'

[/quote]

Hopefully he is getting his s*** together. He has only reconnected with the fans in the last 6 years or so. Maybe he realizes that Giants fans will always love him haha. I spot him on the sidelines of Giants games at least 2 or 3 times a year just hanging out.

Comment

It may be his way of trying to make things right, to the extent that's possible. Some of the best advice you can get is from someone who's failed.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Here's a little bit of video from the football camp

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]Here's a little bit of video from the football camp[/quote]

LOL LOL LOL...

Well done.

He's trying to get himself back in the good graces of Giants fans.

Comment

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' GREAT LAWRENCE TAYLOR BRINGS FREE FOOTBALL CAMP TO HACKENSACK

High School were born.

Barber.

family."

him, also."

agreement.

River
            favorite eateries.

[/quote]

Hopefully he is getting his s*** together.* He has only reconnected with the fans in the last 6 years or so.* Maybe he realizes that Giants fans will always love him haha.* I spot him on the sidelines of Giants games at least 2 or 3 times a year just hanging out.*
            [/quote]

I wish him luck.....it's never too late to make amends for past mistakes.

Comment

Mickey Mantle did the same thing toward the end of his life...became a poster child against drinking....look what it did to me kind of thing
              "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Working...
              X