Bennett drops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennett drops

So M. Bennett's rep is that he drops balls. Do any of you has a link to a website that shows drops per pass attempts? I mean, the last year that Boss was here, I think he led the league in drops? I understand Bennett has had less attempts but I would like to know just how bad he has been. I would like to compare the two.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/
    "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

How about he just shut up already. If he turns into one "of those" then ..ARGGHH!
      sigpic

Comment

new team new qb new season anything can happpen

Comment

Originally posted by derekunion28 View Post
          new team new qb new season anything can happpen
          Now that's an attitude I can live with!

Comment

I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!
            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
              I never heard that rep. I did hear that he was considered lazy but his blocking was always above average and he wasn't a primary target with Witten and all the Dallas WR in there. Fresh start for him here. Let's see what he's got. Give him one of those t-shirts with the saying "talk is cheap, play the games." Go Blue!
              The only thing i heard with him in terms of dropped passes was the fact that he was inconsistent and would make a catch and the next play drop an easy ball. Also, i think he had a few tips which resulted in interceptions. Nothing awful though, and practice should be able to fix it as well

Comment

Looking at his 65% catch rate. That is not too bad. I know everyone is shooting for 100% but that is impossible. Heck look at Calvin Johnson as a receiver...his catch rate is 61%. The thing is that Witten was the featured tight end at Dallas. This will be Bennett's time to shine and hopefully he makes the most of it. With a one year deal the Giants are giving him the opportunity without committing long term. It is a win-win for both parties.

Comment

I don't think he had all that many drops, but then again most of his passes were dump offs of 2 or 3 yards.

Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... Anyway, I would cringe every time the ball was thrown in his direction. Never had a sense of security with that guy and the risk never seemed like it was worth the reward.

The thought that Bennett was overshadowed by Witten is only half true. After T.O. was jettison from the team, Garrett designed his offense around Bennett and Witten (much like the Pats offense).

At that point, Bennett was very a very promising young athlete. He had 4 TD grabs in 2008 as a rookie and made a lot of nice plays. He was very important to what the Cowboys wanted to do and at one point we denied a trade with the Bengals for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Bennett-- I'm not sure if it was ever clarified which one.

At any rate, the Cowboys struggled and Bennett never held up his end, nor returned to anything resembling his 2008 form. He has since seemingly got slower, clunkier, and even more immature somehow.

So yes, he was outshined by Witten (and even our third TE, John Phillips), but not because of lack of opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                    The thing that is weird about him is that the lazy rap doesn't jive at all with the fact that he is a very good blocker . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                      The thing that is weird about him is that the lazy rap doesn't jive at all with the fact that he is a very good blocker . . . . . .
                      That is true and I've thought about it. Being a strong blocker doesn't come without tenacity and focus. What is bothering me lately is how much he's yapping his flap. In truth, the dude's done nothing worth mentioning in the NFL. He seems to think that talking is some sort of substitute for production. This could be a short relationship if he doesn't deliver the goods quickly. Stated differently, he's not carrying himself like a Giant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                        I don't think he had all that many drops, but then again most of his passes were dump offs of 2 or 3 yards.

Someone recently pointed out with statistics that throwing to him wasn't all that risky as I previosuly thought. I think he had something like 20 targets and 2 interceptions when throwing his way? I'm not sure... Anyway, I would cringe every time the ball was thrown in his direction. Never had a sense of security with that guy and the risk never seemed like it was worth the reward.

The thought that Bennett was overshadowed by Witten is only half true. After T.O. was jettison from the team, Garrett designed his offense around Bennett and Witten (much like the Pats offense).

At that point, Bennett was very a very promising young athlete. He had 4 TD grabs in 2008 as a rookie and made a lot of nice plays. He was very important to what the Cowboys wanted to do and at one point we denied a trade with the Bengals for a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Bennett-- I'm not sure if it was ever clarified which one.

At any rate, the Cowboys struggled and Bennett never held up his end, nor returned to anything resembling his 2008 form. He has since seemingly got slower, clunkier, and even more immature somehow.

So yes, he was outshined by Witten (and even our third TE, John Phillips), but not because of lack of opportunity.
                        We'll what do you know a Cowboy fan that says Bennett being overshadowed by Witten is only have true I read your post for a long time about him and I think your fair with your assements on him but I have to stop you there, because cleary he was and I also think the play calling or Tony Romo is one of the QB that latches on to Witten a throws to him to much, I don't like T.O. but I think he was right when Tony Romo would just throw to Witten most of the time. I've seen a video on youtube of all of MB's catches and drops most of the plays called for him are screens? I don't think your team did try to use him as both a receiving threat and a blocker, just a blocker. I him run like two seam routes in the whole video just thought it was kinda strange that they put him on so many screen plays which is not that bad at.
                        sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
                          We'll what do you know a Cowboy fan that says Bennett being overshadowed by Witten is only have true I read your post for a long time about him and I think your fair with your assements on him but I have to stop you there, because cleary he was and I also think the play calling or Tony Romo is one of the QB that latches on to Witten a throws to him to much, I don't like T.O. but I think he was right when Tony Romo would just throw to Witten most of the time. I've seen a video on youtube of all of MB's catches and drops most of the plays called for him are screens? I don't think your team did try to use him as both a receiving threat and a blocker, just a blocker. I him run like two seam routes in the whole video just thought it was kinda strange that they put him on so many screen plays which is not that bad at.
                          You mean all of his targets from last year? Yeah I saw that too. In fact, I saw all of those plays in real time as well.

My previous post explains how Bennett got relegated to the point of dinks and dunks. Romo gave Bennett chances. Just watch his touchdown against the Redskins in 2008, Bennett's rookie year. Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Roy Williams are all open at intermediate distances, but Romo picks Bennet down field even though he's draped with a defender. The decision pays off, and Cowboys nation is excited about the young Martellus.

Then after that, with an offense designed around him as a key component in 2009, Bennett gets outshined by rookie tight end John Phillips.

Bennett can turn it around, but I don't think he possess the attributes to be an all world TE. He can make a difference and be a strong presence in the redzone, but he has to put in the work and he has to play bigger-- because during his tenure in Dallas, dude looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                            You mean all of his targets from last year? Yeah I saw that too. In fact, I saw all of those plays in real time as well.

My previous post explains how Bennett got relegated to the point of dinks and dunks. Romo gave Bennett chances. Just watch his touchdown against the Redskins in 2008, Bennett's rookie year. Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Roy Williams are all open at intermediate distances, but Romo picks Bennet down field even though he's draped with a defender. The decision pays off, and Cowboys nation is excited about the young Martellus.

Then after that, with an offense designed around him as a key component in 2009, Bennett gets outshined by rookie tight end John Phillips.

Bennett can turn it around, but I don't think he possess the attributes to be an all world TE. He can make a difference and be a strong presence in the redzone, but he has to put in the work and he has to play bigger-- because during his tenure in Dallas, dude looked like Tarzan, but played like Jane.
                            I really appreciate the candid inside feedback Ntegrase96. We got him relatively cheap and only for 1 year. It is very rare for a player, 4 years in the league, to finally grow up. His behavior thus far with the Giants unfortunately tells me that he isn't heading in the right direction in that regard. He needs to shut up, start working hard NOW and begin impressing the people who will be bidding for his services in about 8 months. My expectations are low right now. (I don't like being disappointed lol)

Comment

excellent blocker and I bet most of MB s targets will be in red zone. Ahem... Excuse me Green zone..

Comment

Working...
                              X