Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weakest part of the team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weakest part of the team?

    Since the season ended I've been concerned with the OL and the Secondary. Now enter the LB's. I know TE seems like it would be an obvious concern but I really liked what Reese did in FA and the draft. With the recent article about Beatty I'm starting to wonder if hey can count on him. I like him, but he is always hurt. I also like Diehl. However, he was not very good last year. Yeah they won the Super Bowl last year, but like Eli said, hey need to get better. As for the Secondary, I was never sold on TT coming back. I hope he is ok, but that knee needs more than a year to get healhy. Or at least healthy enough to play professional football. I think Webster is very solid, but he is getting up there. I hope he doesn't have a fast decline like KMac did. Sometimes players do that. Not saying he will, just saying I hope he doesn't. He is a very underrated CB and I hope he can still play at the same level his year. I think Prince will be a stud, but after him and Webster what do they have? Rookies and guys coming off of injuries? A FA that is a decent player I guess might help. Now the LB's seem to be having a hard time getting on the field.How can they fix the OL with what they have? What LB's will start the season? How will the Secondary look this year?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Since the season ended I've been concerned with the OL and the Secondary. Now enter the LB's. I know TE seems like it would be an obvious concern but I really liked what Reese did in FA and the draft. With the recent article about Beatty I'm starting to wonder if hey can count on him. I like him, but he is always hurt. I also like Diehl. However, he was not very good last year. Yeah they won the Super Bowl last year, but like Eli said, hey need to get better. As for the Secondary, I was never sold on TT coming back. I hope he is ok, but that knee needs more than a year to get healhy. Or at least healthy enough to play professional football. I think Webster is very solid, but he is getting up there. I hope he doesn't have a fast decline like KMac did. Sometimes players do that. Not saying he will, just saying I hope he doesn't. He is a very underrated CB and I hope he can still play at the same level his year. I think Prince will be a stud, but after him and Webster what do they have? Rookies and guys coming off of injuries? A FA that is a decent player I guess might help. Now the LB's seem to be having a hard time getting on the field.How can they fix the OL with what they have? What LB's will start the season? How will the Secondary look this year?
    I'm definetly going Oline.. I thought Mitch Petrus was the best draftee as far as just pure "value" when we got him in the JPP draft for us, so i for sure got high hopes for him, and i was hoping James Brewer was our pick in rd 4 last yr, so that a plus, but i worry about weather or not Baas can stay healthy and bounce back from just "avg" season last yr, and Diehl is getting worse from yr to yr, and i'm not as sold on Boothe being a stud for the rest of his career, as it wasen't that long ago, he seemed like 3rd string type with no future to speak of really.. I like the Mosley and McCants picks, but there probably a yr or 2 away at earliest.. Beatty is injury prone as u said..

    So another words, there is some good young pieces at the oline positon, but who knows when there gonna start showing that on the field, and with potential, theres always the risk of that never showing up.. Not to mention, even Snee is coming off somewhat down season to his standards.. I think we'll be fine, but to many questions to be sure.. So to me, the Oline is by far the biggest question mark leading into this season..

    Comment


    • #3
      For me it's the oline. What was once one of the best in the league has been turned over to an almost revolving door.
      This is the one group I think that has been shouldering the load for other areas of need come draft time.
      Cohesiveness on the gmens line was the calling card of the offense during the years where the questions about the
      wideouts were plentiful, and the holes left by the departures of Tiki and Shockey, were considered an unknown.
      Hopefully I'm being absurd. The front office has forgotten more then I'll ever know about putting an NFL team together.
      For me though, you're taking a calculated risk when your line is aging and retiring and youre plugging in 3rd round and lower draft picks to protect your franchise QB.
      I'm not arguing any of the draft choices over the last couple years, I'm just saying this is the one area of concern I have.
      But again, I know nothing lol.
      my beer drinking team has a football problem

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
        I'm definetly going Oline.. I thought Mitch Petrus was the best draftee as far as just pure "value" when we got him in the JPP draft for us, so i for sure got high hopes for him, and i was hoping James Brewer was our pick in rd 4 last yr, so that a plus, but i worry about weather or not Baas can stay healthy and bounce back from just "avg" season last yr, and Diehl is getting worse from yr to yr, and i'm not as sold on Boothe being a stud for the rest of his career, as it wasen't that long ago, he seemed like 3rd string type with no future to speak of really.. I like the Mosley and McCants picks, but there probably a yr or 2 away at earliest.. Beatty is injury prone as u said..

        So another words, there is some good young pieces at the oline positon, but who knows when there gonna start showing that on the field, and with potential, theres always the risk of that never showing up.. Not to mention, even Snee is coming off somewhat down season to his standards.. I think we'll be fine, but to many questions to be sure.. So to me, the Oline is by far the biggest question mark leading into this season..
        I also am most concerned about the OL.

        Our starting LT hasn't been able to stay healthy and is now entering the season with a back injury that caused him to miss a lot of offseason work and already a few days of training camp.

        I'm disappointed that Brewer has not been able to get on the field in training camp, because I'd like to see what he can do (or can't). .

        On a more positive note, it seem like Mosley could be a player.

        Also, I know that I am in the monority on this one, but I think that Baas will have a solid year. He had a very nice, underrated performance in the SB, and I think that he will build on that performance this season. I was pleased to read that he "handled" Linval in a one-on-one drill in practice last week.
        Last edited by GMENAGAIN; 08-06-2012, 09:33 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          OL. What funny though is it seems what I feel is a weakness for us in the begining of the year winds up being a strength by the end, or at least very solid. Linebackers, Corners, WRs have all been issues in the past few years, and actually turn out to be a very solid part of the team.
          WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

          Comment


          • #6
            O-line scares me.. especially the 2 tackle spots.

            Comment


            • #7
              O-line chemistry and consistency. A big factor. With that said I think Hynoski becomes a full fledged kick *** FB this season.
              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

              Comment


              • #8
                ol thin at best

                A career backup in Boothe, 2 hurt young promising tackles in Beatty and Brewer, a disappointing free agent in Baas, solid with Snee and an older journeyman type in Diehl. I am looking foward to Petrus and the 2 draft picks to prove themselves next year. We won the Bowl with this line minus Mckenzie. Reese and our staff know what they are doing but it looks mighty thin as we start the season.

                This is my first post although I have been reading these for over 5 years. Roanoke fan is amazing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                  Also, I know that I am in the monority on this one, but I think that Baas will have a solid year. He had a very nice, underrated performance in the SB, and I think that he will build on that performance this season. I was pleased to read that he "handled" Linval in a one-on-one drill in practice last week.
                  I'm with you on this. Being able to handle Wilfork one-on-one is not easy. That said, I want to see some huge improvement in the Tackle positions. Pretty much the only one I'm 100% on board with is Snee (Baas im at about 80%), and he's getting up there too...

                  I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Secondary is fine and stacked with depth.

                    Linebacker is still a problem. We're relying on Keith Rivers staying healthy and playing better than he ever did in Cincy.

                    O-Line we have a mixture of guys who are raw and guys who are old. This absolutely has to be the last year David Diehl plays on the team.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by carter.525 View Post
                      O-line scares me.. especially the 2 tackle spots.
                      +1...........................
                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm not concerned about Beatty. He came into the league young and very raw, I think he'll only get better, although he is a bit injury prone.

                        Diehl is done though. He was a sieve last year and hes only getting longer in the tooth.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bobbyhy17 View Post
                          A career backup in Boothe, 2 hurt young promising tackles in Beatty and Brewer, a disappointing free agent in Baas, solid with Snee and an older journeyman type in Diehl. I am looking foward to Petrus and the 2 draft picks to prove themselves next year. We won the Bowl with this line minus Mckenzie. Reese and our staff know what they are doing but it looks mighty thin as we start the season.

                          This is my first post although I have been reading these for over 5 years. Roanoke fan is amazing.
                          Nice job for your first post! Go easy on the compliments for RF, we don't want to let this all go to his head! Just kidding, he is the best, delivering a tsunami of useful information.
                          No one remembers who came in second.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well Mosley has been a surpriseso if Will Beatty continues to be a concern I really would't be surprised if Mosley got first team reps. Their Loving Deihl at RT, Petrus has been less then satisfactory so far, Brewer has looked good (really quick feet), Not much to say on Locklear (looks like a guy that can play but you wouldn't want him starting), McCants is a lock for practice squad, thats all I can report for O-line.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jomo View Post
                              Nice job for your first post! Go easy on the compliments for RF, we don't want to let this all go to his head! Just kidding, he is the best, delivering a tsunami of useful information.
                              uh-oh, threads about to by hijacked by a love-in for RF, j/k,
                              RF..... u the man!!

                              um, just to keep this post thread relevant, consensus wins, it's the oline...
                              my beer drinking team has a football problem

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X