OFFICIAL: Roster Trimmed to 75 Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL: Roster Trimmed to 75 Players

The Giants this morning pared 15 players from their roster to reach the NFL’s roster limit of 75 players.

Two veterans who had offseason knee surgery and have yet to practice this summer, defensive tackle Chris Canty and tight end Travis Beckum, were placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. They will miss at least the first six games of the season.

Offensive lineman Brandon Mosley, the second of the Giants’ two fourth-round draft choices this year, was placed on season-ending injured reserve with an ankle injury.

The Giants terminated the contract of five-year veteran cornerback Antwaun Molden, whom they signed on April 16. Molden played for New England last year.

The team also waived 11 players, including three with NFL experience: tight end Ryan Purvis, defensive tackle Carlton Powell and defensive back Chris Horton. Also waived were wide receivers Julian Talley and Brandon Collins, tight end Christian Hopkins, defensive backs Brandon Bing and Jojo Nicolas, running back Joe Martinek, tackle Joel Reinders and defensive tackle Oren Wilson.

READ MORE:
    http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-trim-roster-to-75-players/4c72b8d8-879c-449b-a8ba-9a09667d3f03

IR (Season Ending)

OL Brandon Mosley

PUP
    DT Chris Canty
    TE Travis Beckum

Terminated:
    DB Antwaun Molden

Waived
    Offense:
    RB Joe Martinek
    T Joel Reinders
    TE Ryan Purvis
    TE Christian Hopkins
    WR Julian Talley
    WR Brandon Collins

Defense:
    DT Oren Wilson
    DT Carlton Powell
    DB Chris Horten
    DB Brandon Bing
    DB Jojo Nicolas
    Last edited by GiantsDigital; 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM.
    --
    Giants.com
    twitter.com/giants
    facebook.com/nygiants

No surprise there on the waivers.

Comment

whats the difference between getting waived and contract terminated?
      Why the Giants will win the SuperBowl!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPvmhCcsnY&t=1s

Interview With Darian Thompson: https://youtu.be/vvqLbM6emGE

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSW...BrHBI_v2XKQb5A

Comment

Anyone surprised that molden got out ? Our cb is pretty thin thought they would keep all the cbs they can

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
          this i want this answered

Comment

Could it possibly just be semantics? Did we pay Molden a workout bonus when he signed or something? That might explain the difference in language.
            I hate Philthy. The teams, their fans, the city.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
              When a player is waived, they go onto the waiver wire where another team can claim them. If they are claimed, the contract they had with their prior team goes with them.

When a player is terminated, they are immediately a free agent and can negotiate a new contract with any team. More often, players are terminated after coming off of an injury or if they over 4 years of experience in the NFL (which Molden does and the rest don't).

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by mattpl908 View Post
                  Anyone surprised that molden got out ? Our cb is pretty thin thought they would keep all the cbs they can
                  Did you see what Nicks did to him in the SB? I cringed the day I heard the Giants brought him in...wasn't expecting much at all and really not surprised at all he didn't make the cut.
                  "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, Overdrive.
                    I hate Philthy. The teams, their fans, the city.

Comment

and what about bing.. we heard a lot of good things in training camp but didn't really see him out there in preseason.. as thin as we are in CB and remembering how much fewell praised him.. i would have thought he would have stuck around..

too bad for martinek too.. i liked the kid, but hynoski is the man..

Comment

Originally posted by rEaS View Post
                        and what about bing.. we heard a lot of good things in training camp but didn't really see him out there in preseason.. as thin as we are in CB and remembering how much fewell praised him.. i would have thought he would have stuck around..

too bad for martinek too.. i liked the kid, but hynoski is the man..
                        This is a good example of how a player's versatility can create a need. On paper, we have one FB in Hynoski. In reality, however, we have two, the second being Pascoe who is also a tight end. If you have to make a coaching decision about a single player skill position and you have a player who can move from his roster position and provide credible service somewhere else.
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by mattpl908 View Post
                          I'm not.

He didn't impress me in New England and he didn't really do enough to make the team IMO. I was surprised that they got him during the off season.

Comment

I did not realize the severity of Mosley's ankle injury.

As for the other cuts, I am not tooo surprised. There will be some good position battles Wednesday night. The final cuts Friday will be a lot harder for Coughlin and the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt830 View Post
                              I did not realize the severity of Mosley's ankle injury.

As for the other cuts, I am not tooo surprised. There will be some good position battles Wednesday night. The final cuts Friday will be a lot harder for Coughlin and the staff.
                              What exactly is the injury that Mosley sustained to his ankle?

I was a little surprised by Bing being cut this early . . . . thought that he would be one of the final cuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X