Do NOT give up on Jernigan...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do NOT give up on Jernigan...

I know we have a real logjam at WR, but I'm telling you, JJ is going to be a very good and explosive player sooner than later.

Comparing him to Sinorice Moss is just ridiculous. He's got so much more potential.

I know everyone seems to have a man-crush on David Douglas. I like him, too. But Jernigan has a much bigger upside. I was blown away by him in college and thought we hit the lotto when we drafted him.

Yeah, he's mishandled a few punts. Scary. But his risk/reward ratio is so much greater.

Think of it this way...David Douglas returning punts, I believe, is going to be like Phil McConkey. Sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time.

JJ, on the other hand, may make us squeeze our anuses a little tighter on some punt returns, but I guarantee he will break some huge returns if given the chance. Plus, he's going to be a dangerous weapon in the passing game. Trust me.

What's your risk or comfort level? I'd rather go for the gusto and attack rather than play it safe. Our return game has been too boring and vanilla for too many years.

C'mon, let's give JJ a real shot. Who's with me?

Hope he has a big game tonight.

Comment

IM NOT we were just have a discussion about him in another thread. he has DONE NOTHING this preseason and last year was a nightmare
      sigpic
      FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

They gave Sinorice Moss 4 years, they will give JJ more time...

Comment

Originally posted by yoeddy View Post
          They gave Sinorice Moss 4 years, they will give JJ more time...
          I said this in another thread....do not judge JJ on what you have seen in the few games,....I saw him at Albany and he was the star of practice...this kid is electric.......I hope we haven't given up on him ...he will catch on somewhere and we will regret it

He is not another Moss...I go to Albany every year...this kid's quickness would leave moss in the dust
          "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
            Hope he has a big game tonight.
            if he does ill will gladly eat crow tomorrow
            sigpic
            FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

u can't judge him based off of last year. All last years rookies had minimal time to learn the offense, no mini camps, no ota's, reduced training camp. If u want to say he scares u as a punt returner I completely agree until he proves otherwise.

he has legit take it to the house capabilities every time he touches the ball, I just hope he shows it in the Pro's SOON. That being said, no way in hell they cut a 2nd year 3rd round draft pick.

Comment

hope he does well. I cut him some slack but I dont like short WR. With todays passign game and the up for grabs kinnd of balls that are thrown often he has a huge disadvantage. Good luck to him.
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I'm on board. I live 50 miles from Troy. This kid is gonna shine. The comparison to Moss comes from those who know little to nothing about Jerny. Those that have judged him by last year and his one dropped punt this preseason are just closed minded and in the dark about the potential this kid has. It's Pre season and the Giants coaches have no interest in exposing what they have in store to showcase his talents. He's in the plan! I predict if he stays healthy he will have more catches, yards and and TD's than route tree Randell who has shown good hands but no after catch threat. The few non believers in JJ who are on this board will call me foolish but they go directly to the "don't know any better file"

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
                    I said this in another thread....do not judge JJ on what you have seen in the few games,....I saw him at Albany and he was the star of practice...this kid is electric.......I hope we haven't given up on him ...he will catch on somewhere and we will regret it

He is not another Moss...I go to Albany every year...this kid's quickness would leave moss in the dust
                    Another difference between JJ and Moss is that JJ was great in college.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBluePoint View Post
                      I know we have a real logjam at WR, but I'm telling you, JJ is going to be a very good and explosive player sooner than later.

Comparing him to Sinorice Moss is just ridiculous. He's got so much more potential.

I know everyone seems to have a man-crush on David Douglas. I like him, too. But Jernigan has a much bigger upside. I was blown away by him in college and thought we hit the lotto when we drafted him.

Yeah, he's mishandled a few punts. Scary. But his risk/reward ratio is so much greater.

Think of it this way...David Douglas returning punts, I believe, is going to be like Phil McConkey. Sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time.

JJ, on the other hand, may make us squeeze our anuses a little tighter on some punt returns, but I guarantee he will break some huge returns if given the chance. Plus, he's going to be a dangerous weapon in the passing game. Trust me.

What's your risk or comfort level? I'd rather go for the gusto and attack rather than play it safe. Our return game has been too boring and vanilla for too many years.

The #1 most important job of a punt returner is ball security. It is much better to have a mediocre return than a turnover. I'll take Phil McConky any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                        The #1 most important job of a punt returner is ball security. It is much better to have a mediocre return than a turnover. I'll take Phil McConky any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
                        AS much as I loved Phil I wouldn't trade Megatt for him...what most on here must forget is that Megatt had a huge fumble problem his rookie year ...but his potential was quite evident....god that sounds familiar
                        "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
                          AS much as I loved Phil I wouldn't trade Megatt for him...what most on here must forget is that Megatt had a huge fumble problem his rookie year ...but his potential was quite evident....god that sounds familiar
                          The difference is, that (since he straightened out Tiki) TC does not seem to give guys with fumble problems many repeat chances, especially on STs. He has said on more than one occasion that ball security is his #1 priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                            The difference is, that (since he straightened out Tiki) TC does not seem to give guys with fumble problems many repeat chances, especially on STs. He has said on more than one occasion that ball security is his #1 priority.
                            So you cut a guy with a huge upside without giving him the opportunity to correct?....btw Jernigan did the return job just fine at end of year last year....guess we forgot that

Comment

Originally posted by BigBluePoint View Post

Not with you.

Considering the number of intense debates in several threads concerning Jernigan the past couple weeks, he clearly has become the most controversial of Giants players.

Forget the Moss comparisons. Those are just lazy arguments. Where I have problems with the JJ advocates like you is that you keep insisting that he "has so much potential", he "is explosive", he "has so much more upside than the other candidates". Based on what?

Because he was all that in college? So what? Every receiver that makes an NFL draft has done great things in college. But, again, so what? They all don't make it the NFL. There is no guarantee that any college best-at-his-position stud will convert that success to a successful NFL career (see Ron Dayne).

The reality (and the reason why there are many Jernigan doubters like me) is that Jernigan has had nearly 2 full pre seasons and 1 full regular season--with no injuries preventing his play time--to show something, anything, to justify your faith in him and he has shown nothing except several muffed punts and a small handful of unremarkable receptions and a couple average returns.

Meanwhile, there have been a few undrafted and/or unheralded drafted/Free Agent prospects fighting for a WR spot who have--in just this pre season--shown much much more flash of potential than has Jernigan: Douglass, Barden, DePalma, even Stanback. Yet, you guys insist Jernigan should continue to be valued over any of them--even though he has admittedly accomplished nothing as a Giant yet--because you just "know" he has more "potential", is so much more "explosive" and has so much "upside".

As to your Douglas/McConkey analogy--sure-handed but not really a threat to break the big one at any time--could possibly be an apt one. But if so, then after 8 years of a Coughlin Giants team, you should know which choice--if it does indeed exist--TC will make. His approach to the return game (with which I completely agree) is comparable to that phrase associated with the ancient physician Hippocrates--first, do no harm. Sure, kick/punt returns for TDs are exciting, and every football fan loves them if done by their tem. But, I disagree with your premise that a loose cannon like Jernigan--who may be able to return for 50 yards or a TD, but who may just as likely muff a punt deep in our territory resulting in a score for the opponent--is preferable to others who have shown more, with very few opportunities.

Losing a game due to a muffed punt will not make up for the possibility of a home run return.

Look, I have no desire for Jernigan to fail, I bear him no ill will. But the Giants have an unusual opportunity here to put together a dominant corps of WRs, top to bottom. We already have arguably the best (at least a top two) WR duo in the league. We have a chance to have one of the deepest corps, as well.

Why should we stubbornly keep Jernigan only because he's a second year 3rd rd pick, when he has shown us none of his "exposive upside" while other candidates have each shown us at least something?
                              Last edited by gmen46; 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X