Long Snapper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Snapper

With the impending roster cut down, it really eats me up that we give a spot to DeOssie soley as a longsnapper. Too bad none of these young linebackers didn't devote their offseason to developing that skill set. It would be nice to be able to keep a bubble guy like Jones as a backup linebacker and long snapper. Does any one know if any players other than DeOssie did any longsnapping this camp/preseason?

DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zak.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Comment

Originally posted by G4L View Post
      With the impending roster cut down, it really eats me up that we give a spot to DeOssie soley as a longsnapper. Too bad none of these young linebackers didn't devote their offseason to developing that skill set. It would be nice to be able to keep a bubble guy like Jones as a backup linebacker and long snapper. Does any one know if any players other than DeOssie did any longsnapping this camp/preseason?
      It's not a skill set many can master and he's also very effective in pursuit after the snap.
      Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-31-2012, 07:28 AM.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

as RF somewhat stated, he can get down the field and cover the punts along with being able to snap it.

Comment

These guys have a very specific skill set.....as someone noted earlier ...he is worth his weight in gold just not to have a repeat of the Trey Junkin debacle.......As far as i am concerned he should have a roster spot until the day someone proves he's better at both the snap and covering after the punt
          "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Two bad snaps and the Giants don't make it to either XLII or XLVI. The importance of a good long snapper cannot be overlooked.

Comment

He does always seem to be down the field involved in the tackle on punts.

Comment

Zak DeOssie is probably the safest guy on the roster... the less you think about him, the better he's doing.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

oh stop....its called a special teams player. Just like a kicker or punter. Singular task and he does it very well. When was the last time that was an issue for the Gmen???
                  "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

i understand what you mean cuz we will be cutting some good player's however i still have nighmares of trey freaking junkin so like someone else said he is as safe as eli
                    sigpic
                    FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

Originally posted by Rat_bastich View Post
                      DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zack.
                      Yes but a center cant run down the field and make special teams tackles.It bothers me to but what are u going to do. Tom Coughlin seems to trust him

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanNC View Post
                        as RF somewhat stated, he can get down the field and cover the punts along with being able to snap it.
                        Thats why. A 300 pound center out there u would be down virtually 2 guys "Center and Punter" defending the Punt return

Comment

Deossie is perhaps the best longsnapper in the league. It is a crucially valuable position and he does it better than anyone. We also play in a climate where wind, rain and snow make this position that much harder. If we played indoors I could understand this discussion. But in our climate we demand reliability, and he gives it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Also you have to understand that bad snaps can lead easily to point for the other team and take points of the board for your team. Lets take a look at last season not including play offs the Giants had 82 punts, 24 FG and 43 XP. That is a 149 snaps with out a mistake. Even one mistake could have been the difference between the Giants make and missing the play offs last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat_bastich View Post
                              DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zack.
                              did you have to bring up Trey Junkin? lol
                              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Working...
                              X