For all those super high on David Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all those super high on David Wilson

Do not get me wrong. I think David Wilson is a great runner, who breaks out of many tackles, fast, and can catch the ball. Eventually as Bradshaw ages Wilson will be a candidate to take over first string duties. However the game against the patriots has hopefully shown everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that the giants running game issues were not an issue of Brandon Jacobs 'tippie toe-ing' or AB's 'bad feet' there were the direct result of an o-line not being able to get it done.

Wilson and the giants FIRST TEAM offence, rushing against the patriots SECOND TEAM defence amassed 13 yards on 8 carries for an average of 1.6 yards per carry. The giants are now scrambling to get any possible o-line players off waivers. We have picked up two of them already.

The giants have made a good call to get a good pass catching running back. Because the o-line will have their work cut out for them in running situations this season. Hopefully we can get one of more players off waivers that have something to offer.
    Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Been saying it for YEARS.... Jacobs was very underappreciated one of my favorite Giants.

Jacobs was a BEAST.... had we had ANY semblence of an O-Line he would of never got lost his starting job to Bradshaw

Great post app (beer mug!) ...sigh lol
    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Comment

the pass game looked bad as well. but that could be bc of the OL I guess.

Im not worried about the NE game. 4th preseason game, didnt even feel like it was more than a practice.

The entire offense looked excellent against a very good Chicago defense. Also maybe Nicks returning kinda messed up the timing. Really not sweating it tho, Wilson and Bradshaw create their own running lanes. Remember, they put up those numbers for like the 10 min they played.
      we'll see how it looks when they're playing 60

Comment

Yep our o line stuggled last year to open up holes and it looked rough in preseason too - I loved the big boy jacobs - set a tone - but note that wilson may be able to do things physically that not many other backs in the league can - and he will have too cause there wont be many holes to run through. Jacobs strength was running like a freight train - but you have to open a lane to get the train in motion. Wilson needs less and will get less. Once we put together a better o line the kid is gonna be unreal and his pass catching should be a factor this year.

Comment

so you are saying you'd prefer Jacobs to Wilson ?? ... i admire your loyalty, but im more grateful that you are not the GM
          Apologize to Melo 5

Comment

Originally posted by GMan-67 View Post
            so you are saying you'd prefer Jacobs to Wilson ?? ... i admire your loyalty, but im more grateful that you are not the GM
            Don't think anyone here even echoed that sentiment...
            "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Comment

Jacobs is a big guy who was suprisingly easy to tackle for a guy his size. Sure he'd truck a guy every now and then, but that was probably just 1 out of 20 carries. I think the issue with Jacobs was that he is tall and his balance isn't all that great, so when anyone got down in his legs, he'd get all off balance and go down with fairly little contact. Wilson has a low center of gravity, so he can better bounce off of tacklers and stay upright.

Comment

Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                Do not get me wrong. I think David Wilson is a great runner, who breaks out of many tackles, fast, and can catch the ball. Eventually as Bradshaw ages Wilson will be a candidate to take over first string duties. However the game against the patriots has hopefully shown everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that the giants running game issues were not an issue of Brandon Jacobs 'tippie toe-ing' or AB's 'bad feet' there were the direct result of an o-line not being able to get it done.Wilson and the giants FIRST TEAM offence, rushing against the patriots SECOND TEAM defence amassed 13 yards on 8 carries for an average of 1.6 yards per carry. The giants are now scrambling to get any possible o-line players off waivers. We have picked up two of them already.The giants have made a good call to get a good pass catching running back. Because the o-line will have their work cut out for them in running situations this season. Hopefully we can get one of more players off waivers that have something to offer.
                Your talking about the 4th preseason game..... The most meaningless one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballllinnnnnnn View Post
                  Your talking about the 4th preseason game..... The most meaningless one.
                  It is not meaningless if your first team gets handled by some ones second team, and that team just happens to be the team you beat in the superbowl. Maybe TC brought in a vanilla playbook as not to show the patriots anything, but the fact that we just picked up two o-line after the game 4 performance and cut petros after his poor performance suggests the game had a lot of meaning to those watching.

Comment

It is obvious that the o-line sucks. But since Derrick Ward left, Jacobs was the tip toe bandit regardless of how the o-line performed, with some bursts of energy here and there to make everyone have hope for him. The o-line wasn't always bad, and he didn't always have bad games. However, I will not change my opinion of him in hindsight, he was inconsistent, tried to be an elusive back too often, and outright frustrated me based on how unproductive he was at times then always had an excuse for it. The bad o-line doesn't completely justify his low production.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Blue View Post
                      It is obvious that the o-line sucks. But since Derrick Ward left, Jacobs was the tip toe bandit regardless of how the o-line performed, with some bursts of energy here and there to make everyone have hope for him. The o-line wasn't always bad, and he didn't always have bad games. However, I will not change my opinion of him in hindsight, he was inconsistent, tried to be an elusive back too often, and outright frustrated me based on how unproductive he was at times then always had an excuse for it. The bad o-line doesn't completely justify his low production.
                      Fair enough, I was not advocating we should have Jacobs back in any way. I think it is pretty easy to unfairly criticize him. Only bad running backs run straight ahead with their pads down 100% of the time. Once he was not a starter he was in a weird place where if he tried to bounce a run outside people would get on his case too fast. I think this caused him to lose his identity and it effected his play. Mind you, Jacobs rushed for 100+ yards against the falcons in the play offs. Even though by nature Jacobs was a bruiser he did run with a lot of finesse at times. You SHOULD try to make people miss as a running back, just because he is big doesnt mean he should be in bulldozer mode all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                        Do not get me wrong. I think David Wilson is a great runner, who breaks out of many tackles, fast, and can catch the ball. Eventually as Bradshaw ages Wilson will be a candidate to take over first string duties. However the game against the patriots has hopefully shown everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that the giants running game issues were not an issue of Brandon Jacobs 'tippie toe-ing' or AB's 'bad feet' there were the direct result of an o-line not being able to get it done.

Wilson and the giants FIRST TEAM offence, rushing against the patriots SECOND TEAM defence amassed 13 yards on 8 carries for an average of 1.6 yards per carry. The giants are now scrambling to get any possible o-line players off waivers. We have picked up two of them already.

The giants have made a good call to get a good pass catching running back. Because the o-line will have their work cut out for them in running situations this season. Hopefully we can get one of more players off waivers that have something to offer.
                        Look at the only preseason game that actually mattered (the bears game) David Wilson DOMINATED. When Hakeem gets back and our passing machine is running at full steam, Wilson is going to shred defenses.

Comment

Jacobs wasn't a "move the pile" kind of guy. When he would occasionally run someone over, it was always on the edges, and usually the victim was a DB giving up at least 100 pounds. I don't recall too many instances of Jacobs meeting a LB in the hole and winning.

Comment

Originally posted by FUUFNF View Post
                            Jacobs is a big guy who was suprisingly easy to tackle for a guy his size. Sure he'd truck a guy every now and then, but that was probably just 1 out of 20 carries. I think the issue with Jacobs was that he is tall and his balance isn't all that great, so when anyone got down in his legs, he'd get all off balance and go down with fairly little contact. Wilson has a low center of gravity, so he can better bounce off of tacklers and stay upright.
                            it really is amazing with wilson. like he can talk a hit to the legs or midsection and have it knock him a few yards off his original path all the while staying upright and compact in mid stride. he is gonna be a special special back. JR imo hit the jackpot 3x this last draft, maybe more with the later round picks

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                              it really is amazing with wilson. like he can talk a hit to the legs or midsection and have it knock him a few yards off his original path all the while staying upright and compact in mid stride. he is gonna be a special special back. JR imo hit the jackpot 3x this last draft, maybe more with the later round picks

I love how he can take those hits and go down, but I have no idea about this kind of stuff - should we be worried of his future in terms of injury or taking too many hits?

Comment

Working...
                              X