The Hakeem Nicks vs Victor Cruz debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hakeem Nicks vs Victor Cruz debate

I know we play the Cowboys in a few hours, but i just had to get this off of my chest before the season. Ive been thinking about the cruz vs nicks debate that was talked about on here, and i am actually surprised at how many people picked Nicks. When i think of cruz i immediately say to myself, if there is a dominant player at their position on this team, that you know no matter what players the other team may have, your guy will still bring his A game, its Cruz and JPP. I can't recall them having 1 bad game last year. Every game they seem to make a huge play, and it doesnt look like there is anyone who can stop them 1on1. Nicks can also be similar. There are times when it seems like he cant be stopped, and he finds a way to show up in big games for us. But he can be contained by good players. I feel like Cruz and Jpp cant be stopped, which makes them dominant.

When i look at all the important intangables that makes a reciever good, i dont see how nicks beats out cruz.

1. Route running - Cruz
    2. Speed - Cruz
    3. Quickness - Cruz
    4. Catching - Nicks/Cruz. Both will amaze you with a crazy circus catch, but then come back on the next play and drop the easy one
    5. Physicality - Nicks
    6. Blocking - Nicks
    7. Big play ability - Cruz
    (I am not saying Nicks is not good in any of these categories, I'm just saying I believe Cruz is better.)

I know some of you try to make the case that Nicks goes up against better corners, But last year Cruz made a lot of good corners look bad. He abused Carlos rodgers, Namdi, and pretty much dominated any corner who tried to cover him in the slot 1 on 1 last year while breaking a couple records while he was at it. I rarely ever make predictions based on Preseason plays, but when we played the jets it was obvious Antonio Cromartie couldnt cover him. Not to mention he had Revis beat down the sidelines on the first play of the game.

Nicks is the most positive and humble player ive ever seen on the giants and he is also a great receiver. He is one of the most underrated Wide outs in the game to go along with roddy white and steve smith(panthers).. I am happy to have both and i hope we keep these 2 guys for years to come. I just think if you were to look at the tape from a neutral standpoint, It should be obvious that Cruz is the better Receiver.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Ok.
    Cruz was outstanding last year.
    Nicks has been outstanding since he was drafted.
    Let's wait until we crown Cruz with "the best receiver" and what not.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

I'm content with the fact that we have two receivers of such high quality that we can't agree which one is better. I feel no need to take it any further than that.

Comment

Thank god the season is starting tonight.

Comment

I would just like to say.....Who cares?....does it really matter which one is better ? all I care about is they are BOTH on the Giants........

This argument/discussion is about as productive as arguing if the sun will come up tomorrow
          "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

I think Cruz still has to prove himself that he's not a one year wonder, whereas Nicks is a bona fide #1 WR, and apparently the FO thinks so too otherwise they would not hesitate to give Cruz a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
              I would just like to say.....Who cares?....does it really matter which one is better ? all I care about is they are BOTH on the Giants........

This argument/discussion is about as productive as arguing if the sun will come up tomorrow
              Most topics in this board are stupid, might as well make use of all of them :P

Comment

Victor Cruz is very good at getting yards after the catch. I think he benefited from Nicks receiving more attention a lot of the time. That's not to say he won't be as productive this year, but it will be interesting to see where defenses focus this season with the offensive additions we've made.

Comment

Nicks does it every year. Nicks had the primary coverage last year. Let's see what Cruz can do now that everyone knows him.

I dont think he runs better routes than Nicks.

And by the way, Nicks ran a 4.4 and Cruz ran a 4.5. So you are wrong with the speed thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                    Ok.
                    Cruz was outstanding last year.
                    Nicks has been outstanding since he was drafted.
                    Let's wait until we crown Cruz with "the best receiver" and what not.
                    I just have to make one more point that i didnt make earlier.

I am 100% confident that Cruz is not just a 1 year wonder, you know why? I never look at stats.

here is an example. When we had bradshaw, jacobs and ward during our 2007 superbowl run, a lot of people were raving about how we had 3 great runningbacks and that how ward was a hidden gem. If you looked at stats, more specifically, yards per carry, yes, ward would have been great. But if you were to look at the game tape, what did ward really do that would lead you to believe he was a great running back? he ran begind a great offensive line.

Here is a different example. You know how i knew adrian peterson would be great after his first year? I didn't look at his stats. I looked at the tape. if you looked at all his intangibles and how he played, how could you have questioned if he would be great or not?

Dont focus so much on if they had a good season. Focus on what they did on the field and how they did it. That will give you a better understanding of which players are great and which ones arent.

Ill go and call out another guy who if you look at the tape you know he will be great if he stays healthy. DeMarco Murray

~Big Mike~

Comment

It'd be hilarious if Murray actually sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
                        I just have to make one more point that i didnt make earlier.

I am 100% confident that Cruz is not just a 1 year wonder, you know why? I never look at stats.

here is an example. When we had bradshaw, jacobs and ward during our 2007 superbowl run, a lot of people were raving about how we had 3 great runningbacks and that how ward was a hidden gem. If you looked at stats, more specifically, yards per carry, yes, ward would have been great. But if you were to look at the game tape, what did ward really do that would lead you to believe he was a great running back? he ran begind a great offensive line.

Here is a different example. You know how i knew adrian peterson would be great after his first year? I didn't look at his stats. I looked at the tape. if you looked at all his intangibles and how he played, how could you have questioned if he would be great or not?

Dont focus so much on if they had a good season. Focus on what they did on the field and how they did it. That will give you a better understanding of which players are great and which ones arent.

Ill go and call out another guy who if you look at the tape you know he will be great if he stays healthy. DeMarco Murray
                        I totally agree with you. Cruz is an excellent receiver, and I HIGHLY doubt he's going to have this huge drop off. I just don't want to compare him to someone who has been consistently great his entire career. I don't really think that's fair. If he plays like he played last year consistently, then I think you can make a strong case.

Comment

And by the way, Nicks ran a 4.4 and Cruz ran a 4.5. So you are wrong with the speed thing.
                          http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=wr

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=WR

No. You are the one who is wrong. But even if it did say nicks was faster, i mean, come on now. You already know.

~Big Mike~

Comment

Originally posted by Moke View Post
                            It'd be hilarious if Murray actually sucks.
                            Cowboy fans would have a stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                              I totally agree with you. Cruz is an excellent receiver, and I HIGHLY doubt he's going to have this huge drop off. I just don't want to compare him to someone who has been consistently great his entire career. I don't really think that's fair. If he plays like he played last year consistently, then I think you can make a strong case.
                              I understand

~Big Mike~

Comment

Working...
                              X