This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case for a No Huddle/Pass Heavy Offense

I think it's fairly obvious why we need to be more innovative on offense; no run game (and I mean absolutely no run blocking).

I think it is also fairly obvious our strength on offense is the Eli led aerial attack with Cruz, Nicks, Bennett, Hixon and Co. as the targets.

What happened vs Dallas was the same thing we are all too familiar with from last year. No push or holes for the run game, and we're constantly in 3rd and forevers. Eli and the offense have converted their fair share of those 3rd downs. But at some point, we cannot keep bailing out opposing defenses by wasting two of a possible 3 downs (3 and out) on run plays that net you 2 yards if your lucky (often loss of yards).

Now, the no huddle (not hurry up) is deadly when you have a QB who is great at reading defenses (Eli: Check). Eli should be given the green light to run the no huddle when the defense comes out in a set that Eli can assess and be methodical in attacking. As we saw with Denver, having a QB who can do this actually enhances the run game bc the QB can trap the defense in a set that is not favorable vs whatever mode of attack the QB audibles to.

Another factor for going to the no huddle: for at least the next 5 weeks, we are going to miss Canty. We also do not know how Coe, Prince, Tryon, and Hosely will turn out (although I remain confident and optimistic). This is, imo, with the breakdowns in the backend, going to lead to more high scoring games. This is when failing to get points on a drive is crucial. I know going to the no huddle air attack doesnt guarantee points at all, but if we need to score more points bc we dont know what we're getting from the defense, which style of offense do you think would give us the best chance at scoring the most points? BC imo, it'd be thru a no huddle pass attack.

I'm sure I missed a few points that I had thought of watching Denver, but its just I know Eli can read defenses like his brother. I also know he is deadly at attacking and exploiting holes in defenses. Why not let Eli trap defenses, and why not expand his audible package from the 1 play plus 2 audibles KG sends in to being able to audible into any given play at any given time with the ability to reroute the wr's based on the D. I know Eli can handle the offense almost exactly as Peyton can, but it seems Eli and even for some reason the coaches (they should utilize whatever gives us the best chance at being dominant) feel that the no huddle is only usable in a hurry up situation. Well I would love to see Eli demand a lot more flexibility ( I know he gets a lot already).

And before I'm ragged on, this is just my idea/opinion. I dont think KG has done a bad job and dont think we need to go to this style offense bc of KG, but bc of the OL and questions with the D. And I dont think I know more than the coaches at all...
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 09-10-2012, 12:40 AM.

Because Killdrive is too stuffy and old fashioned for all that nonsense...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Its so ridiculously obvious how much better this team is when they lean heavily on the pass, its not even funny.. To be honest, it seems the Run game only works when were hitting with the pass and use timely runs, ala GB, NE, NO, and teams like that.. Its gonna be very rare the Giants dont' get what they need passing the majority of say 10offensive plays.. of course u keep defenst honest with some timely runs, but as last yr tells u, we pass better, end of story.. I mean, if finishing last in Rushing and still winning the SB don't tell u that, then i don't know what will???lol

Comment

well I think its more that we've had a ton of success with KG's offense. I know theres been rough spots but thats with every team. At this point tho with this OL, I dunno if we can try to huddle, line up, and overpower the DL bc we dont have the guys to do that.
        However, we may have a shot at trying to let the OL be more finesse and let Eli outthink the D and put the OL in the best possible situations

Comment

DL are much easier to block when they're winded and gassed from the no huddle over a game...

Comment

It's just knowing which teams to run against as well. The Cowboys have always been pretty decent at stopping the run and even now with their additions of Carr and Claiborne, you're better off trying to beat them than Ware, Lee, and that Dline on the ground.

Now against a team like the Panthers or Packers, your success is much better at establishing a ground game due to their lack of talent on the Dline against the run since those teams are more pass oriented on defense. I swear that if we run the ball against the Steelers or Ravens 20+ times and have less than a 4.5 YPA average, I'm going to lose it.

Comment

Alright. Alright.

For the last eight ****ing years I've been on this board and people have been saying Gilbride throws too much.

WT ****

Comment

You know what kills me that Matt Ryan is running the "hurry up offense" and this is his 4th year in the league and I'LL bet Eli can read defenses 100 times better then Ryan and they put up 40 points today.
                We have no run game especially with our o-line and KG continues to run the ball in the 1st half most of the time and if the run game doesn't work early the offense gets way outta sync and Eli is constantly in 3rd in long it sucks. You hear the expression let your qb and wr's get into a rhythm with short passes well that's what we need to do with Eli cause it seems when we have Eli start throwing the ball a lot it's the start of the 3rd quarter or we're behind by double digits.All you have to do is go back and look at the GB game in the playoffs they started off right away throwing they put up points then at the end of the game Eli was unstoppable and the run started working so yes I am all for the hurry up offense.
                Instead of running a lot in the beginning throw more screens to Bennett and Wilson or if no one open have Eli dumb it off to his check down (Bradshaw) those shorts passes are like runs themselves and will put us in better 3rd down situations. Let me be clear in no way am I saying abandon the run but this is a way to get the run going.
                Last edited by Eliscruzzz; 09-10-2012, 12:56 AM.
                sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

green-for much of those 8 yrs, we had an excellent OL that could dominate the DL...dunno if u've noticed, we cant run worth a ****...

Comment

Originally posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
                    You know what kills me that Matt Ryan is running the "hurry up offense" and this is his 4th year in the league and I'LL bet Eli can read defenses 100 times better then Ryan and they put up 40 points today.
                    We have no run game especially with our o-line and KG continues to run the ball in the 1st half most of the time and if the run game doesn't work early the offense gets way outta sync and Eli is constantly in 3rd in long it sucks. You hear the expression let your qb and wr's get into a rhythm with short passes well that's what we need to do with Eli cause it seems when we have Eli start throwing the ball a lot it's the start of the 3rd quarter or we're behind by double digits.All you have to do is go back and look at the GB game in the playoffs they started off right away throwing they put up points then at the end of the game Eli was unstoppable and the run started working so yes I am all for the hurry up offense.
                    Instead of running a lot in the beginning throw more screens to Bennett and Wilson or if no one open have Eli dumb it off to his check down (Bradshaw) those shorts passes are like runs themselves and will put us in better 3rd down situations. Let me clear in no way am I saying abandon the run but this is a way to get the run going.
                    good post i agree...

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                      well I think its more that we've had a ton of success with KG's offense. I know theres been rough spots but thats with every team. At this point tho with this OL, I dunno if we can try to huddle, line up, and overpower the DL bc we dont have the guys to do that.
                      However, we may have a shot at trying to let the OL be more finesse and let Eli outthink the D and put the OL in the best possible situations
                      I never thought of that point Eli would know the o-linemen and how they block best and would put them in the best postition to block Eli's been in the league for eight years and it feels like the still got the rings on him when our best drives usually come in the 2 min hurry up offense.
                      sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

it truly is frustrating when we dont play to our strengths... I know the argument is that the run sets up the pass, but thats a two-way street if you ask me, and with the Giants right now, it works the other way

Comment

Finally! a post that i can agree with.

Due to the nature of this O-line, it would behoove them to run the no huddle offense. gassing the defense is one way you can look at it, but give the Defense little time to get set in their reads, will give the O-Line the advantage. I agree i believe that Eli knows this offense enough, to audible into anything he wants and make it work; he is also smart enough to get rid of the ball if things break down. this will be a good way to keep the Offense on the field longer, while keeping the opposing offense off the field; eating up the clock should be a main priority for this team while our CB situation finds itself.
                          Enigma made some good points, knowing which team you should run against is key, and you have to know when to use a different method of setting up your original plan is needed (using the pass to set up the run or vice versa). Personally, I think, we have to stop trying to force what's not working and use a alternative route, then, come back to it.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
                          @Katdaddyjay 17h
                          @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
                          http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

It's all about strengths and weaknesses. The Buccaneers have a ton of young talent with speed and power on the defensive side of the ball. We would probably have more success exploiting their lack of experience instead of trying to beat them with multiple runs up the middle. It should be interesting to see what Gilbride does next week. Does he continue with the run game in the 1st half to the same degree he did against the Cowboys or does he rely on Eli and the receivers to outsmart the Buccaneers secondary more?

Comment

Ironic that this post is up offerring up a type of solution in regard to our weak rushing game and weakness of offensive line. It is ironic because tonight I witnessed a team with a strong offensive line and a dominant run game go to the no huddle and dismantle the celebrated defense of Pittsburgh Steelers. That team, The Denver Broncos is led by Peyton Manning the brother of our beloved QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X