No announcement yet.

Breaking Down the Giants Run Game:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i noticed a few times where there appeared to be a hole and bradshaw didnt hit it or ran in a diff gap that was clogged.

And Bennett should be able to create a seal and make an alley on rushes to the edge. The reason its not working isn't bc of Bennett, its bc literally, the entire line is allowing guys to penetrate. Bennetts blocking wont do much if the RB cant actually get to the spot Bennett is blocking. Im hoping with Lockler and Beatty, we have more success running the edges.

On runs up the middle, it seems there is NEVER a hole. That 3rd and 1 38 yd rush play, imo, was up the middle so that one was good. But yeah, everyone, the coaches, the OL, and the RB's need to take ownership of their play and step it up. What I'd like to see, whats been echoed here a lot lately, is if the run is clearly not working, don't force it just to try and keep some sort of balance. all thats doing, when the runs not working, is bailing the opposing defense out. its limiting the number of plays we can be lethal and attack from 3 every 4 downs to 1 every 4 downs and that 1 chance, the D is all out defending the pass bc its now 3rd and forever.

If we come out and throw it well on 1rst and 2nd downs, defenses have to account and respect that. that right there helps the OL open holes, and gets the safeties dropping off into coverage and biting on play actions. KG knows what he's doing, its just sometimes it seems it takes him too long to open things up. i can respect his conviction to stay with the run, even if its not working. but i just dont understand why we can't just go to the pass more often and mix things up...eh im sounding like an armchair OC...KG will get it fixed. he's earned my trust and i ate my crow on him once, twice already actually. not gonna again. who knows, KG does like to set traps and plan ahead, maybe this is all being setup for later in the season when its crucial time and cant lose situations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      Of the 19 run plays the Giants ran against the Cowboys in last Wednesday's opener, 11 went to the left side, seven to the right side and one up the middle (Ahmad Bradshaw's 5-yarder on 3rd-and-16 to end the first half).

Of those 19 run plays, 11 were on first down, five were on second down, two on third and one on fourth. Bradshaw's biggest run was a 33-yarder on 3rd-and-1 that was a very well blocked play to the side of the line on which the Giants did not have extra blockers. More on that in a second.

Bradshaw ran the ball 17 times. Rookie David Wilson ran it twice, and not at all after fumbling on his second carry. No other Giants running back got a carry in the game.

Of the 19 runs, 13 were run to the side of the line on which tight end Martellus Bennett was lined up. That includes the first 10 Giants running plays of the game. The first time Bradshaw runs to the side on which Bennett is not lined up is a 2-yard gain to the right side in the second quarter, and on that play tackle Will Beatty was in the game on the right side as an eligible tight end. The play is basically stopped immediately by Anthony Spencer when he gets off the block of Beatty.

Right tackle David Diehl had a rough game against Dallas defensive end Jason Hatcher. On the final play of the first half, the Cowboys have only three men on the line and Bradshaw gets the ball and runs right up the middle, but Diehl can't handle Hatcher, who brings Bradshaw down before he can get loose. Not that they were trying to do anything special there, but you never know.

There are times when Bradshaw shows indecisiveness and a lack of burst that costs him. The play just before the Wilson fumble is a 1st-and-10 on which Bennett motions to the right and Bradshaw runs that way. There appears to be a hole between Bennett and Diehl on that right side, but Bradshaw is unable to slip through before it closes. That play looked like one on which Bradshaw could have gained more. There's also a 1st-and-10 in the fourth quarter on which he's running to the right side, where Bennett and fellow tight end Bear Pascoe are both lined up, and he seems to have a brief opportunity to turn upfield quickly before Bruce Carter fills the gap and brings him down.

Once they started running away from Bennett's side, the Giants actually had more success. I don't know if this is because Dallas was devoting extra attention to Bennett's side (which would make sense, after the Giants ran their first 10 plays to Bennett's side) or if it's a matter of Dallas focusing more energy on pass defense once they had the lead. But Bennett is on the right side when Bradshaw runs left for a 10-yard touchdown to the left. The touchdown is a very well-blocked play that involves no tight ends. Left guard Kevin Boothe shoves the defensive lineman inside and then blocks Sean Lee. Left tackle Sean Locklear takes care of his man. Fullback Henry Hynoski, lined up in front of Bradshaw in the backfield, swings over and makes his block. Hakeem Nicks is trying to make a block near the goal line as Bradshaw jukes the defensive back and slips into the end zone. Good play all-around, and without extra blockers on that side.

Continued in link from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...iants-run-game

Is the thread title right or should it be "Giants' run game broken down"?
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

With all this being said, you know who I am really loving? Henry Hynoski. Hank the Tank. The Hynoserous. Dude has been playing the FB spot very well. Blocking up front and downfield.
        Jerry Reese sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
          More to the point:

1) Our oline blocking was mediocre at best. More on this below.

2) Bradshaw doesn't appear to be running as hard as he has in the past.

3) Bradshaw doesn't have the same vision as he has in the past (seeing where the hole is).

4) A lot of runs looked like designed cut back plays (at least they were blocked like that) and the holes were there but Bradshaw either didn't cut back or cut back too late.

5) We do indeed telegraph our running assignments (we run the majority to the side of the TE and always have under KG).

6) Dallas was over pursuing the whole game ... we should have done more misdirection on the ground.

7) David Wilson is most definitely the future.
          3/4 of our running plays went to the side the TE lined up on and that has to make it easy as hell for the defense

Comment

WOW >> I see so many good Points on this Thread ! I don't who to Agree with . I wish the Giant coaches & players could read it. Maybe some info can rub off on them !

As I said all good Points ! Good Luck to us & the G-Men on Sunday ! Maybe thats what we need !

GO GIANTS !

Comment

Originally posted by BillTheGreek View Post
              WOW >> I see so many good Points on this Thread ! I don't who to Agree with . I wish the Giant coaches & players could read it. Maybe some info can rub off on them !

As I said all good Points ! Good Luck to us & the G-Men on Sunday ! Maybe thats what we need !

GO GIANTS !
              i like ur optimism and overall vibe. GO GIANTS!

Comment

Run blocking is all about attitude and toughness. We seem to lack it.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

Originally posted by BeatYale View Post
                  yes....Suebert was NOT the most talented linemen....but he had the attitude and a mean streak that this line lacks
                  "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                    What has to change is that our entire o-line has to grow some stones and get out there and smack some people in the mouth.
                    That might be possible if our guys were drive blocking, but Killdrive loves to pull people all over the place. Snee is the only guy left on that line that pulls effectively.

Also, as the OP mentioned in his post...... Bradshaw does not have great field vision. I can't list how many times he's bailed on a play that was developing, or missed a running lane.

Like him or hate him, Tiki Barber had insane field vision.....he made a good line into a great line with his ability to stay with his blockers and exploit daylight.

Speaking of Barber...... Coughlin needs to fix Wilson like he fixed Tiki, or this is going to be a long season. The running game is not going to improve unless Wilson is a big part of the mix.
                    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM.
                    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                      That might be possible if our guys were drive blocking, but Killdrive loves to pull people all over the place. Snee is the only guy left on that line that pulls effectively.Also, as the OP mentioned in his post...... Bradshaw does not have great field vision. I can't list how many times he's bailed on a play that was developing, or missed a running lane.Like him or hate him, Tiki Barber had insane field vision.....he made a good line into a great line with his ability to stay with his blockers and exploit daylight.Speaking of Barber...... Coughlin needs to fix Wilson like he fixed Tiki, or this is going to be a long season. The running game is not going to improve unless Wilson is a big part of the mix.
                      Like he fixed Bradshaw? And is trying to fix Scott. You know whats funny, is we absolutely love RBs that have issues holding onto the rock. All of them were known to fumble in college.
                      Jerry Reese sucks

Comment

TOM C., Coaching Staff & Giant Players ! Please read these comments , they ALL make sense to me. Yes I know, It was only the first Game .....But Eli needs help now ! Come on G-Men show Tampa Bay ,that you are the Defending SUPER BOWL CHAMPS !
                        GO GIANTS !

Comment

Originally posted by BeatYale View Post
                          I made a thread last week about the same thing....about Oline leadership, desire, and heart. I was shot down by many saying its doesnt matter because they lack talent...I disagree...
                          they need, attitude, toughness, heart, desire, and leadership. Thats what they are lacking IMO....
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                            I made a thread last week about the same thing....about Oline leadership, desire, and heart. I was shot down by many saying its doesnt matter because they lack talent...I disagree...
                            they need, attitude, toughness, heart, desire, and leadership. Thats what they are lacking IMO....
                            i dunno. to me (and i can see where ur coming from and agree to an extent) they dont look like they dont care after messing up horribly. Im always catching DD or Baas making a frustrated gesture and just look like they care. I think that the want is there, but the talent overall may not.

but i do also feel that when our OL was dominant, it wasnt much more talented than we have now, heck it could even be as talented. but that OL most def. had those attributes u discuss, the attitude and toughness, etc. etc.

Comment

by the way , Petrus bench presses a hell of alot of weight at the combine and he does not block to well ................... the coaching LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                                i dunno. to me (and i can see where ur coming from and agree to an extent) they dont look like they dont care after messing up horribly. Im always catching DD or Baas making a frustrated gesture and just look like they care. I think that the want is there, but the talent overall may not.

but i do also feel that when our OL was dominant, it wasnt much more talented than we have now, heck it could even be as talented. but that OL most def. had those attributes u discuss, the attitude and toughness, etc. etc.
                                I guess I think they have the talent to at least have a middle of the pack running game. They dont need a top 10 runing game for it to be effective for the Giants. I have to think these guys can do a top 16 runnin game.......
                                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Working...
                                X