Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Note About the Replacement Refs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Note About the Replacement Refs

    One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

    TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

    I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

    Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

  • #2
    Rob Ryan likely TOLD his defense to play the gray area. Buddy Ryan was notorious for it. I'ts not cheating, but it's close.

    Comment


    • #3
      Let them play the game. I have heard that the replacement officials heavily favor home teams though. Some of the Panther's fans brought up the descrepancy after week 1 and it was telling.

      RickGosselinDMN
      Replacement refs seemed affected by crowd -- calling 26 more penalties against the road teams (104) than the home teams (78) thus far.

      RickGosselinDMN

      @lunger24 Last year there was a 66-penalty difference for the entire season between home and road, an average of almost 4 per week.
      Sincerely,
      Greg Schiano
      Head Coach, Tampa

      Comment


      • #4
        i think the NFL should keep the old refs locked out and simply start interviewing new refs and if a few old refs want to be scabs (hate to go there, but), then they can be interviewed for jobs as FULL TIME OFFICIALS, b/c that is what is needed

        also, i like less flags, now that doesn't mean that players won't start to push it and force more flags or force bad missed calls, so it's something to watch week to week now, but the old refs threw way too many flags ... think about the horrible holding call on Boothe in the Super Bowl ... i dont miss that
        Apologize to Melo 5

        Comment


        • #5
          We carp about the replacement refs, but who should we really be pointing fingers at?
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RoanokeFan
            We carp about the replacement refs, but who should we really be pointing fingers at?
            Ron Winters, the worst referee of all time.
            Sincerely,
            Greg Schiano
            Head Coach, Tampa

            Comment


            • #7
              After watching the GB game they seem to be finally starting to catch on.

              And by that I mean ruling any questionable call in the favor of the NFL's darlings as well as overturning or not overturning extremely basic replay reviews.

              Like I said, they're starting to catch on. Bravo guys.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

                TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

                I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

                Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.
                I agree, I noticed this myself as well. So many non-calls but they don't seem to be bias so at least it is fair in that respect. Our CBs and WRs need to get more physical at the LOS if they are going to continue to call the games like this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
                  I agree, I noticed this myself as well. So many non-calls but they don't seem to be bias so at least it is fair in that respect. Our CBs and WRs need to get more physical at the LOS if they are going to continue to call the games like this.
                  This is exactly it. They're allowing for a more physical game to happen based on their calls and non-calls, but they're not Bill Leavy, and in my book that's a dramatic improvement. The union refs may be starting to worry if the replacements get their act together...

                  I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    We carp about the replacement refs, but who should we really be pointing fingers at?
                    Not carping ... just noting the trend and hoping we take advantage of it.

                    Sort of like a pitcher taking advantage of an umpire that's allowing a big strike zone.
                    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
                      Rob Ryan likely TOLD his defense to play the gray area. Buddy Ryan was notorious for it. I'ts not cheating, but it's close.
                      I don't consider it cheating by any stretch. You play to what the refs will allow, not to what your idea of what they should allow/disallow.
                      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                        One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

                        TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

                        I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

                        Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.
                        Honestly, I like the way the replacement refs are calling games. I do agree that they aren't throwing many flags, but its happening on both sides of the ball. It doesn't seem that they are favoring one team over another. That is what I like. They are letting teams play. The AZ games was the only game that I could think of where the replacement refs could've impacted the result game. Other than that. I am fine with them.

                        Also, Ed Hocoli and Jeff Triplett make me sick. They are always screwing up calls big time. If this week go just as well as last week in terms of officiating, the real refs are in trouble.
                        Lets go, Giants!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                          I don't consider it cheating by any stretch. You play to what the refs will allow, not to what your idea of what they should allow/disallow.
                          This!! It's only a penalty if they throw the flag...
                          #80

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nycisgreat View Post
                            Honestly, I like the way the replacement refs are calling games. I do agree that they aren't throwing many flags, but its happening on both sides of the ball. It doesn't seem that they are favoring one team over another. That is what I like. They are letting teams play. The AZ games was the only game that I could think of where the replacement refs could've impacted the result game. Other than that. I am fine with them.

                            Also, Ed Hocoli and Jeff Triplett make me sick. They are always screwing up calls big time. If this week go just as well as last week in terms of officiating, the real refs are in trouble.
                            I'm kind of enjoying the replacement refs too ... at least in terms of them allowing the players to play.

                            But I was also ok with on the field decapitations sooooooo ....
                            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                              One thing I've noticed about the refs in the Giants game (and throughout Week 1 and last night) is that they seem to be erring on the side of caution and leaving the flags in their pockets.

                              TONS of non-calls to me is the biggest difference between them and the regular refs.

                              I also noticed that JPP got away with a fairly obvious head slap in the game last Wednesday. If the replacement refs aren't going to call holding as closely, then I hope the Giants defensive line takes advantage of the non-calls and tests the waters in what they can get away with.

                              Accordingly in the game last Wednesday, the Cowboys DBs were mugging our receivers. Our DBs were not doing that to them. Last year, they would have been called on at least a half dozen illegal contacts and defensive holds. I really hope the Giants DBs this week get more physical. If we're stuck with doe-eyed replacement refs, we might as well abuse the situation.
                              The Giants lost by 7 and the Refs had nothing to do with the Giants having a fumble and 3 drops that left points on the field that might have very well been the winning points!
                              "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

                              John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X