Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think the DB's may not be smart enough to play zone defense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone think the DB's may not be smart enough to play zone defense?

Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.

Re: Does anyone think the DB's may not be smart enough to play zone defense?

Yes......wish Fewell could figure that out too.
    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Too dumb to play zone, and not good enough to cover anyone in man.

What's Fewell supposed to call then?

Comment

how about this.....

they are just not a very good defense to begin with and injuries have made them even worse

without a pass rush this style D is doomed..

even the almighty Spagnuolos defense would have been shredded without a pass rush

he just happen to have healthy players to rush the passer

and I only bring up Steve because so many of you still pray to a statue of him every night before you go to bed

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on

Comment

[quote user="Strife21"]Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.[/quote]

You realize that zone defense is what you play when you're unsure of what to call on defense right?

If they're too stupid to play zone defense, then they wouldn't be in the NFL (they wouldn't have made it to college for that matter).

Now if you were to say that Fewell's brand of zone defense is a little too complex for them then I would agree.

Nonsensical would be another adjective I'd use for it.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

they are just not a very good defense to begin with and injuries have made them even worse

even the almighty Spagnuolos defense would have been shredded without a pass rush

and I only bring up Steve because so many of you still pray to a statue of him every night before you go to bed

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on[/quote]

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

I loved Landrys defense ......but he's not coming back any time soon either so lets move on[/quote]

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?[/quote]

sure Id like to see him back

but its a completely different team.....a whole different time.....Id hate to see something that is remembered so fondly be horrible in the redux

even though the last time we saw a Spagnuolo defense the most memorable things are the Eagles converting a 3rd and 24 and McNabb shredding the middle of the field all day and not getting touched...... sparkling clean white jersey

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

If Spags gets fired this year by the Rams, you wouldn't want to see him back on the Giants sidelines?[/quote]

but its a completely different team.....a whole different time.....Id hate to see something that is remembered so fondly be horrible in the redux

even though the last time we saw a Spagnuolo defense the most memorable things are the Eagles converting a 3rd and 24 and McNabb shredding the middle of the field all day[/quote]

Odd ... the most memorable thing about Spags' defense (to me) was 17-14.

But yeah I agree ... I'd hate to see Spags come here and our defense be horrible.

But I honestly think with the exact same players, our defense would have been Top 10 this year (not Top 5 only due to injuries).

If for no other reason that Spags knows how and when to blitz and Fewell doesn't.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Strife21"]Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.[/quote]

You realize that zone defense is what you play when you're unsure of what to call on defense right?

If they're too stupid to play zone defense, then they wouldn't be in the NFL (they wouldn't have made it to college for that matter).

Now if you were to say that Fewell's brand of zone defense is a little too complex for them then I would agree.

Nonsensical would be another adjective I'd use for it.[/quote]

could you elaborate on what is so complex about Fewell's zone defense?
                  My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

The things is this, we shouldn't be as bad as we are in our secondary. We only lost 2 starters on defense to IR, TT and Goff.

We often drop 8 into coverage and we still cannot cover. To me that's on our coaches.

If our guys don't know what they are doing the coaches must simplify the system to suit their skill-set. It's no different than last year with the wide-outs.

If our coaches do not dumb it down then it's on them.

But with that said, there's no excuse for Corey Webster and Antrel Rolle not being on the same page. Who's to blame for that?

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

even though the last time we saw a Spagnuolo defense the most memorable things are the Eagles converting a 3rd and 24 and McNabb shredding the middle of the field all day[/quote]

But yeah I agree ... I'd hate to see Spags come here and our defense be horrible.

But I honestly think with the exact same players, our defense would have been Top 10 this year (not Top 5 only due to injuries).

If for no other reason that Spags knows how and when to blitz and Fewell doesn't.[/quote]

that 17- 14 was a whole season before we last saw Spagnuolo.......

Im talking about the last time he was on our sideline

Comment

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

The things is this, we shouldn't be as bad as we are in our secondary.* We only lost 2 starters on defense to IR, TT and Goff.

We often drop 8 into coverage and we still cannot cover.* To me that's on our coaches.

If our guys don't know what they are doing the coaches must simplify the system to suit their skill-set.* It's no different than last year with the wide-outs.*

But with that said, there's no excuse for Corey Webster and Antrel Rolle not being on the same page.* Who's to blame for that?

[/quote]

they know what they are doing Rosey......but I see with my own eyes them trying to communicate on the field and a guy or two not even getting the check....

there is no way that is on the coach...

if you cant pay attention to a check being called on the field you shouldnt be playing football...

if you flat out cant hear it....thats another story

but neither case is on the coach.

all this....Fewell should blitz more....Fewell should play man more....Fewell should play zone more......

this is all opinion

the facts are....these players are horrible at communicating on the field....I see it every game from my seat in the stadium

now if you need a coach to hold your hand to constantly teach you how to get a check to your teammate......I dont even know what to tell you

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Strife21"]Just a thought. It sure seems like no one knows what their doing half the time.[/quote]

Nonsensical would be another adjective I'd use for it.[/quote]

could you elaborate on what is so complex about Fewell's zone defense?[/quote]

He has some weird mixes of man-under zone top and vica versa that he consistantly rotates through.

This is the majority of the reason why you see some horribly blown coverages in his schemes (such as the Dez Bryant touch down). You can blame the players (and ultimately it IS their fault) but a good coach realizes when his schemes aren't working with the personel at hand, and changes them up accordingly.

That and he used to run an aggressive zone (with the Bills) that you can't run anymore because clotheslining receivers is now illegal and apparently looking at a receiver now draws an Illegal Contact penalty. A non-aggressive zone is like candy to a kid for passing offenses.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

If for no other reason that Spags knows how and when to blitz and Fewell doesn't.[/quote]

that 17- 14 was a whole season before we last saw Spagnuolo.......

Im talking about the last time he was on our sideline[/quote]

I remember him more for the Top 5 defense he coached in 2008 then.

That and Eli having a REALLY bad day against the Eagles.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="YATittle1962"]how about this.....

guess what....

The things is this, we shouldn't be as bad as we are in our secondary.* We only lost 2 starters on defense to IR, TT and Goff.

We often drop 8 into coverage and we still cannot cover.* To me that's on our coaches.

If our guys don't know what they are doing the coaches must simplify the system to suit their skill-set.* It's no different than last year with the wide-outs.*

But with that said, there's no excuse for Corey Webster and Antrel Rolle not being on the same page.* Who's to blame for that?

[/quote]

they know what they are doing Rosey......but I see with my own eyes them trying to communicate on the field and a guy or two not even getting the check....

there is no way that is on the coach...

if you cant pay attention to a check being called on the field you shouldnt be playing football...

if you flat out cant hear it....thats another story

but neither case is on the coach.

all this....Fewell should blitz more....Fewell should play man more....Fewell should play zone more......

this is all opinion

the facts are....these players are horrible at communicating on the field....I see it every game from my seat in the stadium

now if you need a coach to hold your hand to constantly teach you how to get a check to your teammate......I dont even know what to tell you[/quote]

That happening occasionally is definitely on the players.

That happening consistantly is definitely on the coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X