3rd and 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd and 2

4th quarter, down by 7 with under 7 minutes to play. 3rd and 2 from our own 19.

Is it gutsy or just plain stupid football?

Yes, we all know what the defense is thinking, BUT, if we don't connect on that 40 yard pass there's a good chance we loose that game.

Why not move the chains, pound the ball and run the clock?

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Yes, we all know what the defense is thinking, BUT, if we don't connect on that 40 yard pass there's a good chance we loose that game.

My son and I question this every game for last several years....3rd and short yardage....the Giants will throw the ball down the field many times......it results in many big plays...but just as often ends with a punt......

The question is would you give up the big plays to play conservative?

It looks great when it works....makes you pull your hair out when you punt
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

how often have we been able to gaint just 2 yards in short yardage situation lately?? There I think you have your answer now.

Comment

KG is infamous for that kind of call.

When it works it's a thing of beauty ... when it doesn't you get a ton of Killdrive posts.

But considering the history and the outcome this time as well ... I'll call it a thing of beauty
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Can't do that all of the time. Giants tried to do that against the Egals in 2010 and the Egals came back to beat the Giants. The Giants also tried to run out the clock but was unsuccessful. I say put up more points and forget about running out the clock mess.

Comment

You guys are right. It's not the first time. We do it frequently and we've seen it work as well as fail.

I'm not sure though that it's Gilbride in that it ultimately is up to Eli whether or not he wants to go deep. I think on this particular play Nicks ran a slant and was an option, but Eli saw Cruz had his man beat.

All in all it was just an amazing finish. It's hard to believe we could overcome that 1st half.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondring View Post
              Can't do that all of the time. Giants tried to do that against the Egals in 2010 and the Egals came back to beat the Giants. The Giants also tried to run out the clock but was unsuccessful. I say put up more points and forget about running out the clock mess.
              Agreed. In hindsight running the clock was a non-issue right there since we needed 2 scores.

Comment

Think we're missing one important thing here, how do we know that it wasn't a play designed to get the 2 yards through the air and Eli noticed he had single coverage on the outside?

Comment

Originally posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
                  Think we're missing one important thing here, how do we know that it wasn't a play designed to get the 2 yards through the air and Eli noticed he had single coverage on the outside?
                  Sure ... but the architect of the option is Gilbride.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

stupid football that worked. but hey, i'm not complaining - this week. But still, stupid.
                    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                      Sure ... but the architect of the option is Gilbride.
                      Yeah, but ultimately, it's Eli who runs the show once they get to the line of scrimmage. That's always going to be one of those plays where you're like, if it works, you're jumping around yelling TOUCHDOWN going crazy and if it doesn't, you're like, WTF!!!

Then again, if they decided to run it, it would still have the safe affect. Happy as hell we got the 1st down, pissed off because Gilbride always calls and we can't rush for a first down.

Comment

some of the best opportunities to go downfield are on 2nd and 3rd downs and short. the d has to respect the run, and usually stack the box. u will almost always get at least 1 1v1 matchup on 3rd and short...that pass wasnt anymore risky than trying to run for the first there...eli has excellent accuracy on the deep ball, and there was no way TBs corners were containing nicks or cruz 1v1. i made a thread a few weeks ago about passing out of 3rd and short and im stoked to see us do so last night when it mattered most

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                          some of the best opportunities to go downfield are on 2nd and 3rd downs and short. the d has to respect the run, and usually stack the box. u will almost always get at least 1 1v1 matchup on 3rd and short...that pass wasnt anymore risky than trying to run for the first there...eli has excellent accuracy on the deep ball, and there was no way TBs corners were containing nicks or cruz 1v1. i made a thread a few weeks ago about passing out of 3rd and short and im stoked to see us do so last night when it mattered most
                          I can tell ya one thing. I'm not too crazy about taking shots down the field on 3rd and shorts with the game on the line, but hot damn it's friggen great when it works!

Comment

With the way that Eli has been throwing the deep ball and the receivers we have.with one on one, there is almost a better chance we complete the deep ball vs a 3 yard pass.

Comment

its a gamble play......no other way to look at it. Eli had Bennet 1 on 1.....
                              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Working...
                              X