The NFL Finally Broke Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL Finally Broke Defense

It was an age old addage that great defenses win championships.

However in the new decade and dawn of offensive football, the NFL has finally hamstrung defenses to the point of impotence.

I heard an interesting blurb on NFL radio today where they discussed the plight that modern defenses face in this era of pass happy teams, where looking at a QB or receiver earns you a drive continuing flag. Singling out the Giants, the discussion revolved around the fact that the other "elite" offensive teams are facing the same problems (all of them having substandard defenses).

Are we in the midst of a defensive transition or are defenses really becoming superfluous in the modern game of football?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: The NFL Finally Broke Defense

I'm seriously hoping that the bad defense this year is lockout related.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"]It was an age old addage that great defenses win championships. However in the new decade and dawn of offensive football, the NFL has finally hamstrung defenses to the point of impotence. I heard an interesting blurb on NFL radio today where they discussed the plight that modern defenses face in this era of pass happy teams, where looking at a QB or receiver earns you a drive continuing flag. Are we in the midst of a defensive transition or are defenses really becoming superfluous in the modern game of football?[/quote]

nice post..I believe the lack of a stand out D this year has more to do with the lock out then anything else. I expect next year for defensive teams to stand out more.

Comment

[quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"]

[quote user="Kruunch"]It was an age old addage that great defenses win championships. However in the new decade and dawn of offensive football, the NFL has finally hamstrung defenses to the point of impotence. I heard an interesting blurb on NFL radio today where they discussed the plight that modern defenses face in this era of pass happy teams, where looking at a QB or receiver earns you a drive continuing flag. Are we in the midst of a defensive transition or are defenses really becoming superfluous in the modern game of football?[/quote]

nice post..I believe the lack of a stand out D this year has more to do with the lock out then anything else.* I expect next year for defensive teams to stand out more.

[/quote]

But you'd think a lockout would hurt offenses more then defenses (especially passing offenses).

You don't think the strict enforcement of QB/receiver contact is neutering pass rushes and secondaries?
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"]

nice post..I believe the lack of a stand out D this year has more to do with the lock out then anything else.* I expect next year for defensive teams to stand out more.

[/quote]

But you'd think a lockout would hurt offenses more then defenses (especially passing offenses).

You don't think the strict enforcement of QB/receiver contact is neutering pass rushes and secondaries?[/quote]

Disagree. When you get to the pro level Defense is at a much higher level due to coaching and practice, people don't make mistakes as often. With the loss of practice time you'll see more mistakes, hence why the pro game looks a lot like college games now...

Comment

Defenses used to tackle, as in wrap their arms around someone with the ball and drag them to the ground. The game changed when a hard shell helmet was introduced. Defensive players began to use their bodies as missiles of destruction. They no longer tackle, they hurl themselves at the guy with the ball, hoping to knock their opponent down. Offensive plays, too, but not as much. Sometimes you see the running backs run head first, but not always. Hence NFL injuries have been skyrocketing.

The NFL is trying to protect the careers of the players with these rules. Defenses need to adapt to the rules.

The age old adage that great defenses win championships still applies. However, gone are the days of dominant defenses pitching shutouts in this pass happy league. A great defense now gives up less than 21 pts per game.

Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"]

nice post..I believe the lack of a stand out D this year has more to do with the lock out then anything else. I expect next year for defensive teams to stand out more.

[/quote]

You don't think the strict enforcement of QB/receiver contact is neutering pass rushes and secondaries?[/quote]oh definitely. it'll be a sad day when the NFL finally does away with defense and we are left with arena league scores. CBs are going to be worth gold - if they arent already, and be picked in the top three every draft behind QB's. If not first overall.

RB's will be small and valued on their hands and speed - rather then vision and power or durability.

The NFL is turning into a finesse league.

Between the ridiculous penalties against WR's and QB's and the fact that every team is starting to run 4 WR sets. It wouldnt surprise me if pretty soon the NFL finds a way too have 6 or 7 Wr sets. lol

Comment

Offense makes money for the NFL. Imagine if Hockey games were regularly 9 to 8 games with back and forth scoring. I bet that would make the sport much more popular. Baseball, steroids = scoring more runs and making the league much more money by entertaining fans. Remember 98 when Bonds and Sosa and McGuire were all chasing the HR record in the same year? Well now it is Brees and Brady and Rodgers and Eli all chasing Marino's record in the same year... Something is up...

Comment

[quote user="Jotun_Fan"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"]

[/quote]

You don't think the strict enforcement of QB/receiver contact is neutering pass rushes and secondaries?[/quote]

Disagree. When you get to the pro level Defense is at a much higher level due to coaching and practice, people don't make mistakes as often. With the loss of practice time you'll see more mistakes, hence why the pro game looks a lot like college games now...[/quote]

Defenses don't have timing patterns or have to reply on making catches (just defending them).

Defense has always been an easier proposition then offense.

I would blame the college like atmosphere more on the change and strict enforcement of "defenseless" player rules then the lockout hurting defenses.

The lockout would only be relavent up to a certain point ... you'd think by the end of the regular season, any rust would be shaken off by now no?

Comment

[quote user="Mercury"]Defenses used to tackle, as in wrap their arms around someone with the ball and drag them to the ground.* The game changed when a hard shell helmet was introduced.* Defensive players began to use their bodies as missiles of destruction.* They no longer tackle, they hurl themselves at the guy with the ball, hoping to knock their opponent down.* Offensive plays, too, but not as much.* Sometimes you see the running backs run head first, but not always.* Hence NFL injuries have been skyrocketing.*

The NFL is* trying to protect the careers of the players with these rules.* Defenses need to adapt to the rules.

The age old adage that great defenses win championships still applies.* However, gone are the days of dominant defenses pitching shutouts in this pass happy league.* A great defense now gives up less than 21 pts per game.

[/quote]

I tend to agree here.

I think you'll also see a cycling trend as LBers become more like Safeties which will in effect make defenses sport 7 DBs constantly. At that point, you'll see the return of the power run game.

And then back again, as lines/LBers get bigger again to compensate and so forth.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]Offense makes money for the NFL. Imagine if Hockey games were regularly 9 to 8 games with back and forth scoring. I bet that would make the sport much more popular. Baseball, steroids = scoring more runs and making the league much more money by entertaining fans. Remember 98 when Bonds and Sosa and McGuire were all chasing the HR record in the same year? Well now it is Brees and Brady and Rodgers and Eli all chasing Marino's record in the same year... Something is up...[/quote]

Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that this might have more to do with the current trend of strict offensive player protection. Much more so then the touted "player safety" which is laughable.

Comment

The era of hard hitting defense is coming to a close. See James Harrison for reference.

The NFL wants to have their cake and eat it too..... they are looking for guys like Vick, Rodgers, Cam Newton, etc to run up and down the field at will.

Really, they need to re-examine what they expect from the QB and defenders. When the QB leaves the pocket, unnecessary roughness shouldn't be called unless its totally blatant.

If they really want to protect the passer, they shouldn't allow them to go beyond the line of scrimmage, and shouldn't call intentional grounding.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Mercury"]Defenses used to tackle, as in wrap their arms around someone with the ball and drag them to the ground.* The game changed when a hard shell helmet was introduced.* Defensive players began to use their bodies as missiles of destruction.* They no longer tackle, they hurl themselves at the guy with the ball, hoping to knock their opponent down.* Offensive plays, too, but not as much.* Sometimes you see the running backs run head first, but not always.* Hence NFL injuries have been skyrocketing.*

The NFL is* trying to protect the careers of the players with these rules.* Defenses need to adapt to the rules.

The age old adage that great defenses win championships still applies.* However, gone are the days of dominant defenses pitching shutouts in this pass happy league.* A great defense now gives up less than 21 pts per game.

[/quote]

I tend to agree here.

I think you'll also see a cycling trend as LBers become more like Safeties which will in effect make defenses sport 7 DBs constantly. At that point, you'll see the return of the power run game.

And then back again, as lines/LBers get bigger again to compensate and so forth.[/quote]

Agreed
                          "Team sports are a different animal. They tap into deep seeded tribal instincts. Our team vs your team used to be our tribe vs your tribe. Winner takes all land, plunder, women. You inherently care when you are aligned with a tribe/team. The players are interchangeable but team always stays the same." - JOESONDO from UG forum

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"]It was an age old addage that great defenses win championships.

However in the new decade and dawn of offensive football, the NFL has finally hamstrung defenses to the point of impotence.

I heard an interesting blurb on NFL radio today where they discussed the plight that modern defenses face in this era of pass happy teams, where looking at a QB or receiver earns you a drive continuing flag. Singling out the Giants, the discussion revolved around the fact that the other "elite" offensive teams are facing the same problems (all of them having substandard defenses).

Are we in the midst of a defensive transition or are defenses really becoming superfluous in the modern game of football?[/quote]

Sadly....just like every other sport fans want to see scoring. Football will become like basketball. There is no appreciation of good defense any longer.....sad but true. Give me some of those old 10-3 games.

Comment

Almost every rule cahnge over the past 10-15 years has favored the offense. It eventually had to lead to this. Coaches realize that there is a better chance to win with a pass happy offense then to try to build a solid defense with a good running game. I think it will get to the point where you will not be able to hit the QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X